Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B & Q sale 7am Xmas Eve

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-survive.html

Probably see bathroom items going cheap. And laminate flooring
going for a couple a quid/sqm. But I'd like to see their
engineered or solid hardwood flooring going for a song?

What are the odds?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote in message
news
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-survive.html

Probably see bathroom items going cheap. And laminate flooring
going for a couple a quid/sqm. But I'd like to see their
engineered or solid hardwood flooring going for a song?

What are the odds?

If anyone has Already seen h/w flooring discounted at 50% and more please
let me/us know.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur2" wrote:
"Arthur2" wrote in message
news
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-survive.html

Probably see bathroom items going cheap. And laminate flooring
going for a couple a quid/sqm. But I'd like to see their
engineered or solid hardwood flooring going for a song?

What are the odds?

If anyone has Already seen h/w flooring discounted at 50% and more please
let me/us know.

Let's hope it isn't like the B&Q kitchens, whose prices appear to have
been doubled in the run up to Christmas so they can be discounted by
50% (with a fanfare of publicity) yet still sell at the same original,
undiscounted price.

MFI may have closed (it finally bit the dust on Friday!) but its
dishonest sales tactics appear to be very much alive - at B&Q.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
"Arthur2" wrote:
"Arthur2" wrote in message
news
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-survive.html

Probably see bathroom items going cheap. And laminate flooring
going for a couple a quid/sqm. But I'd like to see their
engineered or solid hardwood flooring going for a song?

What are the odds?

If anyone has Already seen h/w flooring discounted at 50% and more please
let me/us know.

Let's hope it isn't like the B&Q kitchens, whose prices appear to have
been doubled in the run up to Christmas so they can be discounted by
50% (with a fanfare of publicity) yet still sell at the same original,
undiscounted price.

MFI may have closed (it finally bit the dust on Friday!) but its
dishonest sales tactics appear to be very much alive - at B&Q.

As an example here are a couple of example pages from the Autumn and Summer
catalogues.

Not much attempt made at trying to disguise the price increases!

http://www.picturehosting.com/images...allunits_1.jpg

http://www.picturehosting.com/images...allunits_1.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark Dumbrill
writes
"Bruce" wrote in message

MFI may have closed (it finally bit the dust on Friday!) but its
dishonest sales tactics appear to be very much alive - at B&Q.

As an example here are a couple of example pages from the Autumn and Summer
catalogues.

Not much attempt made at trying to disguise the price increases!

http://www.picturehosting.com/images...008cataloguewa
llunits_1.jpg

http://www.picturehosting.com/images...2008cataloguew
allunits_1.jpg

Thanks for taking the time out to post those images, it reinforces the
deceptive trading practices of these outfits.

One of my long term mantras has been, "give me your best price first
time, every time". Those who do I have had a long and mutually
profitable relationship with. Those who ignore the principle and invite
me to give them my best quote to beat are discarded as a matter of
course.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Mark Dumbrill
writes
"Bruce" wrote in message

[...]

trouble is that a lot of companies do the same, check the sale tickets
in the Boxing day sales and you will see the same "previously in sale in
Aberdeen at X price" get out clause

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
trouble is that a lot of companies do the same, check the sale tickets
in the Boxing day sales and you will see the same "previously in sale in
Aberdeen at X price" get out clause

Heh heh - think it would be anywhere other than Aberdeen...

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:

a lot of companies do the same, check the sale tickets
in the Boxing day sales and you will see the same "previously in sale in
Aberdeen at X price" get out clause

That is because trading standards allow them to use the tactic provided
they follow that type of wording (and provided it's true), of course you
should be wary, but if it really gets up your nose, complain about what
trading standards ALLOW, not what companies DO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Kevin wrote:

a lot of companies do the same, check the sale tickets in the Boxing
day sales and you will see the same "previously in sale in Aberdeen at
X price" get out clause

That is because trading standards allow them to use the tactic provided
they follow that type of wording (and provided it's true), of course you
should be wary, but if it really gets up your nose, complain about what
trading standards ALLOW, not what companies DO.

A shopping website that compared current with past prices might be
useful. In most sectors manufacturers keep changing model numbers and
specifications to stop you doing that but, in this instance, it would be
interesting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur2 wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...esperate-shops
-slash-prices-90-desperate-battle-survive.html

Probably see bathroom items going cheap. And laminate flooring
going for a couple a quid/sqm. But I'd like to see their
engineered or solid hardwood flooring going for a song?

What are the odds?

I cannot recall ever seeing anything worth buying in the B+Q 'sale'. I
find that it is either low quality stuff being kicked out cheaply, or
20%+ off kitchens and bathrooms, which can be had cheaper from other
places anyway.
Hardwood flooring at 50% off - you've got no chance. Cheap ****e
laminate at £4 sq/M. then yes, you'll probably get that.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arthur2 wrote:
Probably see bathroom items going cheap. And laminate flooring
going for a couple a quid/sqm. But I'd like to see their
engineered or solid hardwood flooring going for a song?

What are the odds?

Unless a firm is closing down their sales are there to shift goods about
to be replaced with new, etc. And real wood doesn't go out of fashion.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote:
Kevin wrote:

a lot of companies do the same, check the sale tickets in the Boxing day
sales and you will see the same "previously in sale in Aberdeen at X
price" get out clause

That is because trading standards allow them to use the tactic provided
they follow that type of wording (and provided it's true), of course you
should be wary, but if it really gets up your nose, complain about what
trading standards ALLOW, not what companies DO.

A shopping website that compared current with past prices might be useful.
In most sectors manufacturers keep changing model numbers and
specifications to stop you doing that but, in this instance, it would be
interesting.

Just decide if what they are asking for a product is worth it to you at the
time.
Try not to get hung up on what something did, might, should or could cost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Dumbrill" wrote in message
"Bruce" wrote in message
"Arthur2" wrote:
"Arthur2" wrote in message
news http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-survive.html

[...]

B & Q ought to be made to market their 'sales' as
not 50% OFF
but as
"We've Removed the 100% Mark Up That We Put On The Prices of Our Outlet in
Barrow For 2 Days"

what you might get for Xmas... RayV Woodworking 8 December 3rd 06 07:19 PM
Xmas DIY The Medway Handyman UK diy 28 November 10th 06 06:02 PM
My Xmas tip... Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 December 29th 05 12:17 PM
Get Me One Of These For Xmas J T Woodworking 4 November 26th 05 02:16 PM