Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default upvc front door won't open or lock

Hi,

My uPVC front door suddenly won't open or lock. It is shut but does
not feel properly closed (I can move it a little). The handle won't
lift enough to lock it nor drop enough to open the door.

It's not under warranty. Can anyone give my some hints on how to open
it or lock it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:

It's not under warranty. Can anyone give my some hints on how to open
it or lock it?

Angle grinder

SDS Drill ....

Seriously, use it (or something else) to vibrate the door near the point
where the claws reach into the frame. You might make things wobble in
the right direction while also puting pressure on the handle to open it.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

use a lever at the bottom of the door to lift on the lock side,if the door
has dropped this will relieve any pressure on that side,
allowing the mechanism to operate,the door may need heeling and toeing to
realign the door.

remove door pins to get door out

all the above require a certain amount of knowledge about upvc systems and
the type of locking system

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hi,

My uPVC front door suddenly won't open or lock. It is shut but does
not feel properly closed (I can move it a little). The handle won't
lift enough to lock it nor drop enough to open the door.

It's not under warranty. Can anyone give my some hints on how to open
it or lock it?

Do the locks operate correctly if the door's open? If so, either the hinges
have dropped or one or more the the lock plates in the frame are out of
adjustment.

Plates are easily reset if you can locate the one that catching. Never tried
adjusting a hinge but probably a cap to take off to reveal a screw to tweak
it - at least the ones I've seen.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Hi,

My uPVC front door suddenly won't open or lock. It is shut but does
not feel properly closed (I can move it a little). The handle won't
lift enough to lock it nor drop enough to open the door.

It's not under warranty. Can anyone give my some hints on how to open
it or lock it?

If it is not locked and will not open it sounds like the problem is
around the handle to catch mechanism. Can you unscrew the handles and
see whether there is anything broken or adrift. Might then be able to
use a large screwdriver to move the catch mechanism.
If you can get the door open at least you will be able to see what is
moving or not when you operate the re-assembled handle.

If you can knock out the hinge pins it may be possible to remove the
door but not if there are fixed bolts that locate into the hinge side of
the door frame as it is closed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:47:16 -0000, "ALex" wrote:

use a lever at the bottom of the door to lift on the lock side,if the door
has dropped this will relieve any pressure on that side,
allowing the mechanism to operate,the door may need heeling and toeing to
realign the door.

Thanks, this allowed me to open the door. Is there any online guides
on how to realign this sort of door?

all the above require a certain amount of knowledge about upvc systems and
the type of locking system

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:47:16 -0000, "ALex" wrote:

use a lever at the bottom of the door to lift on the lock side,if the door
has dropped this will relieve any pressure on that side,
allowing the mechanism to operate,the door may need heeling and toeing to
realign the door.

Thanks, this allowed me to open the door. Is there any online guides
on how to realign this sort of door?

all the above require a certain amount of knowledge about upvc systems and
the type of locking system

It may be worth looking under the hinge pivot - mine has Allen screw
adjustment which will lift the hinge pin - however, if it has sagged then
heel and toe is the way to go

Upvc front door-how much? none[_6_] UK diy 3 July 24th 08 03:28 PM
Replacing a lock in a uPvc door. Dee UK diy 5 June 20th 08 10:05 AM
UPVC door lock 'broken'.... Adrian UK diy 5 June 21st 07 04:33 PM
uPVC Door Lock Wolverine UK diy 3 June 14th 07 10:07 AM
Front door multi-point lock slowly getting harder to lock [email protected] UK diy 2 April 14th 07 09:31 PM