Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default upvc front door won't open or lock

Mark wrote:
Hi,

My uPVC front door suddenly won't open or lock. It is shut but does
not feel properly closed (I can move it a little). The handle won't
lift enough to lock it nor drop enough to open the door.

It's not under warranty. Can anyone give my some hints on how to open
it or lock it?

If it is not locked and will not open it sounds like the problem is
around the handle to catch mechanism. Can you unscrew the handles and
see whether there is anything broken or adrift. Might then be able to
use a large screwdriver to move the catch mechanism.
If you can get the door open at least you will be able to see what is
moving or not when you operate the re-assembled handle.

If you can knock out the hinge pins it may be possible to remove the
door but not if there are fixed bolts that locate into the hinge side of
the door frame as it is closed