Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dripping Vaillant combi boiler

Hi

My (very) old Vaillant seems to have sprung a leak. When the hot water
is running there's a leak at a nut that drips about once every 10
seconds. Here's a pic: http://warren.blackbeansource.co.uk/leak.jpg

I've tried tightening the nut very slightly but it doesn't seem to
make a difference. I assume it's a washer inside that's damaged or
something. Is this something that I (a non-plumber!) can try to fix or
do I need to get a professional in, and do they need to be Corgi
registered to look at this bit?

Thanks
Warren
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:57:00 -0800, wozza wrote:

Hi

My (very) old Vaillant seems to have sprung a leak. When the hot water
is running there's a leak at a nut that drips about once every 10
seconds. Here's a pic: http://warren.blackbeansource.co.uk/leak.jpg

I've tried tightening the nut very slightly but it doesn't seem to make
a difference. I assume it's a washer inside that's damaged or something.
Is this something that I (a non-plumber!) can try to fix or do I need to
get a professional in, and do they need to be Corgi registered to look
at this bit?

To do this job you will need a fibre washer similar in size to 3/4" bath
tap one but a bit wider. Turn off the cold water supply (on boiler or
elsewhere) undo nut, clean flanges, insert new washer (with liquid ptfe,
or silicone grease if you like) and tighten-up, but water back on, check
for leaks, run hot water, check again.

By the book if you get someone in they need to be registered but in
practice the risk is minimal if they stick to doing the job you ask and
nothing else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:57:00 -0800, wozza wrote:

Hi

My (very) old Vaillant seems to have sprung a leak. When the hot water
is running there's a leak at a nut that drips about once every 10
seconds. Here's a pic: http://warren.blackbeansource.co.uk/leak.jpg

I've tried tightening the nut very slightly but it doesn't seem to make
a difference. I assume it's a washer inside that's damaged or something.
Is this something that I (a non-plumber!) can try to fix or do I need to
get a professional in, and do they need to be Corgi registered to look
at this bit?

Thanks
Warren

Sorry to make another post.

This boiler is not less than 20 years old. This is an example to those
people who claim [all] combi boilers fail in under 10 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

Sorry to make another post.

This boiler is not less than 20 years old. This is an example to those
people who claim [all] combi boilers fail in under 10 years.

However, you should note that the poster felt obliged to virtually
apologise for having such an ancient boiler ! ;-)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ed Sirett
writes
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:57:00 -0800, wozza wrote:

Hi

My (very) old Vaillant seems to have sprung a leak. When the hot water
is running there's a leak at a nut that drips about once every 10
seconds. Here's a pic: http://warren.blackbeansource.co.uk/leak.jpg

I've tried tightening the nut very slightly but it doesn't seem to make
a difference. I assume it's a washer inside that's damaged or something.
Is this something that I (a non-plumber!) can try to fix or do I need to
get a professional in, and do they need to be Corgi registered to look
at this bit?

Thanks
Warren

Sorry to make another post.

This boiler is not less than 20 years old. This is an example to those
people who claim [all] combi boilers fail in under 10 years.

My Vaillant 242E was 20 years old when I removed it (still working)

Parts replaced during this time were the fan and the secondary heat
exchanger

--
geoff

Vaillant eco-tec combi boiler? [email protected] UK diy 17 October 19th 07 04:32 PM
Dripping combi boiler - any ideas? dangemrod UK diy 19 April 11th 07 12:25 PM
vaillant combi boiler ctj666 UK diy 6 November 26th 05 05:26 PM
Vaillant Combi Boiler Ed Sirett UK diy 5 July 31st 03 08:52 PM
Which Vaillant Combi Boiler? rakster UK diy 0 July 5th 03 06:29 PM