Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Tap and sink

Finally getting to fitting the sink in my d/stairs bog. The sink is a
B+Q 'to go' cloakroom job with a single tap hole while the tap is a
mixer supplied with a Hyco vented water heater (looks like a monobloc
but the hot control lets water through to the heater, displacing water
from the heater unit).

Anyway, the hole in the sink is slightly conical at the top, while the
base of the tap has a rubber O-ring. When I tighten the bolt that
holds it all together, the tap slips out of the vertical into the
dished/conical top of the hole, so won't sit straight. I don't think
there's anything missing from the kit - it's more likely that the B+Q
sink is carp - and the only way I can see to keep things right is to
put something between the tap and the sink to stop it, for example a
flat plastic washer. This looks like a bodge, even though the washer
is translucent, but I could try trimming it once the whole thing's in
place. Alternatively, I could be missing something here so I thought
I'd post and ask if anyone had come across this problem and had a
better solution.

All the best
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GMM" wrote in message
[...]

1) Sink fkd. Return for refund/exchange
or
2) Tub of "Plumbers Mate"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

These should do the job
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/34550/...her-Pack-of-10

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

These should do the jobhttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/34550/Plumbing/Plumbing-Accessories/Spl...

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Sadly the box (and probably the receipt) has long gone so no going
back to the orange shed!

Dave - Do you reckon they would go into the top and keep things
steady? Only it says they're not for monobloc taps (which I would
have got the most benefit from that type of washer).

As far as I can see, the problem is a combination of the top of the
sink, where the tap meets it, not being flat and the fact that
monobloc-design taps are held in place by an offset stud and not.
Tightening generates an uneven force which, in this case, makes the
base of the tap slip onto the 'ole, kinda skew. If the tightening
pressure was even, I'd expect the tap to burrow a little into the
conical hole and settle there but the best I can get it is sort of
metastable, ie, it looks right, it's tight, then you touch it and the
whole thing slips!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

Sorry, I didn't read your post properly, didn't notice the monoblock bit.

As far as I can see, the problem is a combination of the top of the
sink, where the tap meets it, not being flat and the fact that
monobloc-design taps are held in place by an offset stud and not.
Tightening generates an uneven force which, in this case, makes the
base of the tap slip onto the 'ole, kinda skew. If the tightening
pressure was even, I'd expect the tap to burrow a little into the
conical hole and settle there but the best I can get it is sort of
metastable, ie, it looks right, it's tight, then you touch it and the
whole thing slips!

Any chance of a picky or a link?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

Finally managed to shoot it (not in any sense artistically) with my
phone and post at

This (in case it's not clear!) is the tap from the underside lying in
the sink - the hole in the sink visible at the top of the pic,
although the taper in the top of the hole isn't over-clear.

Any help, Dave?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

See what you mean. How about this?
http://www.splitklick.com/monoblocsk4product.html

Seems designed for the job.

Never seen them on sale, but they have a list of stockists and I'm sure an
e-mail might get a sample sent :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

*

This (in case it's not clear!) is the tap from the underside lying in
the sink - the hole in the sink visible at the top of the pic,
although the taper in the top of the hole isn't over-clear.

Any help, Dave?

See what you mean. *How about this?http://www.splitklick.com/monoblocsk4product.html

Seems designed for the job.

Never seen them on sale, but they have a list of stockists and I'm sure an
e-mail might get a sample sent :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Thanks Dave - Looks like that would be just the thing if I can blag
one (!). If I have to buy a pack of 10000 or something I'll send you
the leftovers...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

Thanks Dave - Looks like that would be just the thing if I can blag
one (!). If I have to buy a pack of 10000 or something I'll send you
the leftovers...

Errrm...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, GMM
writes

Finally managed to shoot it (not in any sense artistically) with my
phone and post at

This (in case it's not clear!) is the tap from the underside lying in
the sink - the hole in the sink visible at the top of the pic,
although the taper in the top of the hole isn't over-clear.

It does seem to be a rather flawed design having nothing to hold the
irregular shaped parts centrally in the hole.

Even the bottom fitted washer that Dave found is partially flawed as it
is securing the bottom of the floppy mass rather than the top which is
where any moving forces are going to be applied.

One solution might be to mould a tight fitting resilient plug around the
top flexi pipes and threaded fixing to hold the assembly centrally in
the hole.

The mould could be a cut down plastic aerosol cap and high modulus
silicone could be formed up in layers to produce the plug which should
be as deep as possible to avoid deforming or breaking up.

High modulus silicone is suggested as it is stiffer than the more common
low modulus stuff so better for a resilient plug.

Any slight oversize in the plug can be pared down with a sharp blade.
--
fred

Installing Laundry Sink in basement, do I need a sink pump? [email protected] Home Repair 8 February 19th 07 04:22 PM
New sink Charlie Bress Home Repair 5 February 15th 07 07:41 AM
A sink of my own kevin Home Ownership 2 May 28th 05 02:17 PM
Removing a sink stopper to clean sink trap Brian O Home Repair 2 March 3rd 05 11:08 PM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM