Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

kevin

Default A sink of my own

So, I was sitting around thinking that maybe I needed a project to add
to the end of my todo list, maybe something I could do in the winter
(of 2008 or so).

We have the tiniest of upstairs baths (with low, sloped ceilings to
boot). At one time there was a vanity ($100 home depot variety, box
with 2 doors and a sink on top). We ripped that out b/c it leaked
everywhere (installer didn't use glue on any of the multiple pvc elbows
on the long, uphill drain line, plus a dripping faucet). And it was
sort of in the hallway, instead of the bath.

So I want to add a sink to the bath. My grandmother-in-law had a
similar situation, and they had this teeny-tiny corner sink. Must have
been about 8'' radius out from the corner, at most. But I can't find
any such sink anywhere.

So to get to the point: maybe I could make my own teeny-tiny sink out
of a decorative bowl of some sort, kind of like those fancy table-top
bowl type sinks you sometimes see. I could make a real nice shelf for
it in the corner, or along one wall, plop the bowl on top, mount a nice
looking drain, and get a nice (but small) faucet for the shelf or wall.
This is crazy, right? Should I do it anyway?

Any ideas on materials? I see similar things out of glass or marble (in
the $500 - $3000 range) online, usually too big anyway. I was thinking
maybe colored class, or a nice pottery bowl. The rec.woodworking people
have some discussion of making wood and epoxy sinks, and the
metalworking groups talk about fabricating out of stainless steel. I
can't do either of those though, realistically.

How would one cut through pottery anyway, without shattering it?

-Kevin

Luke

On 27 May 2005 22:02:48 -0700, "kevin" wrote:

[snippage]
How would one cut through pottery anyway, without shattering it?

Google is your friend:

Luke
"This Republican Party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy."
-- Christopher Shays (R-CT), March, 2005

Moenstone Sink Mike Home Repair 9 March 6th 05 06:01 AM
Bathroom - Fitting a new sink & wc Nodge UK diy 0 September 21st 04 02:02 PM
Single sink for sale PoP UK diy 0 March 4th 04 04:54 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 04:16 AM
Kitchen Double Sink Suds Problem Robert Home Repair 3 September 7th 03 01:25 PM