Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch washing m/c: no drum rotation

Hi, all.

My Bosch WFD 2460 washing machine has failed.
The drum no longer spins in any mode.

The belt is fine.

So it's down to the motor or the controller.

The motor has 6 wires going to it, no doubt to be able to do the
variable-speed stuff. Some of the wires will be power, others will
probably be a tacho feedback. None of the wires are labeled, they are all
the same gauge and colour! I don't know what voltages to expect where on
the damn thing.

What's the easiest way to fault-find this?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 20:45:40 -0000, "John"
wrote:

"Ron Lowe" ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote in message
. ..
Hi, all.

My Bosch WFD 2460 washing machine has failed.
The drum no longer spins in any mode.

The belt is fine.

So it's down to the motor or the controller.

The motor has 6 wires going to it, no doubt to be able to do the
variable-speed stuff. Some of the wires will be power, others will
probably be a tacho feedback. None of the wires are labeled, they are
all the same gauge and colour! I don't know what voltages to expect
where on the damn thing.

What's the easiest way to fault-find this?

--
Ron

Try brushes next.

Then bin it.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My Bosch WFD 2460 washing machine has failed.
The drum no longer spins in any mode.
What's the easiest way to fault-find this?

Try brushes next.

Then bin it.

That's pretty much the decision.

I've spun the thing by hand, and there's no change. Not the slightest
interest in moving. I don't think its something like the brushes: they fail
in a progressive manner. This was a sudden binary failure, and spinning the
motor to disturb the brush contact had no effect.

As far as I can see, it's down to the motor or control PCB.
I suspect the PCB.

Looking up the cost of spares online:
http://www.bshappliancecare.com/Bosch/boschspares.html

The motor is £184.
The control module is £171.

That pretty much writes the 10-yr old machine off.

I would have a go at repairing the PCB if it wasn't for the fact that SWMBO
won't accept the uncertainty of it being running by the weekend at the
latest. Possibly a stuffed relay or triac or somesuch. But with a young
family, we can't have the thing out of order beyond the weekend.

Off to costco tomorrow evening.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Have you tried on eBay for the parts you need?
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=b...2460&_osacat=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you tried on eBay for the parts you need?
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=b...2460&_osacat=0

The problem is I don't actually know the part I need.

Is it the PCB, or the motor?

Given the complicated 6-wire connection I described, I simply don't know how
to fault-find without just guessing and part-swapping. I have no
schematic. Which wires should have voltage? What voltage? Under what
circumstances? Is there a phase shift between certain wires from a run
capacitor? If so, which wires? ( I can't see a run cap ) How does the
speed controll work? Which wires are tacho? What kind of signal should I
expect to see?

Anyhoo, we've moved beyond that now. It's been called. DNR.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:
Have you tried on eBay for the parts you need?
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?_nkw=b...2460&_osacat=0

The problem is I don't actually know the part I need.

Is it the PCB, or the motor?

Given the complicated 6-wire connection I described, I simply don't know
how to fault-find without just guessing and part-swapping. I have no
schematic. Which wires should have voltage? What voltage? Under what
circumstances? Is there a phase shift between certain wires from a run
capacitor? If so, which wires? ( I can't see a run cap ) How does the
speed controll work? Which wires are tacho? What kind of signal
should I expect to see?

Anyhoo, we've moved beyond that now. It's been called. DNR.

pull the brushes out first, I have had them fail during a wash with
warnings

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:18:07 +0000, Kevin
wrote:

pull the brushes out first, I have had them fail during a wash with
warnings

My (10yr old) Hotpoint failed quite suddenly.
The brushes needed replacing (£5!)
It must be worth at least trying them.