Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default microwave light

The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter
of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a
couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb
there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it
not user-replaceable?
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"shorepot15" wrote in message
The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter
of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a
couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb
there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it
not user-replaceable?
Mike

Make, model etc..

Most of us are not telepathic!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Dec, 16:35, "Toby" wrote:
"shorepot15" wrote in message

The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter
of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a
couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb
there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it
not user-replaceable?
Mike

Make, model etc..

Most of us are not telepathic!

What, you mean some of you didn't pick up that it's a Toshiba ER-6M2U/
UW?
About 14 years old.
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

shorepot15 wrote:
The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter
of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a
couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb
there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it
not user-replaceable?
Mike

Usually accessed by removing the outer casing not from inside the oven.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

shorepot15 wrote:
On 9 Dec, 16:35, "Toby" wrote:
"shorepot15" wrote in message

The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter
of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a
couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb
there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it
not user-replaceable?
Mike

Make, model etc..

Most of us are not telepathic!

What, you mean some of you didn't pick up that it's a Toshiba ER-6M2U/
UW?
About 14 years old.
Mike

A lot have an unscrewable hatch on the side of the machine for bulb
access. If there's no hatch you need to take the whole outer cover off
- beware of the lethal EHT supply in them though. And note the bulbs
are typically not SES base, but a similar sized appliance lamp base.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, shorepot15 wrote:
The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter
of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a
couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb
there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it
not user-replaceable?

I asked a similar question here some time ago and the advice (unanimous
IIRC) was that lethal voltages were around and it was best left alone.
Buy yourself a torch. :-)

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I asked a similar question here some time ago and the advice (unanimous
IIRC) was that lethal voltages were around and it was best left alone.
Buy yourself a torch. :-)

--
Mike Barnes

Surely these days there will be a suitable resistor across any big caps to
drain the charge in a matter of seconds? I'd be surprised if they were not
safe after being powered down for a minute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"newshound" writes:

I asked a similar question here some time ago and the advice (unanimous
IIRC) was that lethal voltages were around and it was best left alone.
Buy yourself a torch. :-)

Surely these days there will be a suitable resistor across any big caps to
drain the charge in a matter of seconds? I'd be surprised if they were not
safe after being powered down for a minute.

There are usually resistors across such capacitors.
They often go open-circuit.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, newshound wrote:

I asked a similar question here some time ago and the advice (unanimous
IIRC) was that lethal voltages were around and it was best left alone.
Buy yourself a torch. :-)

Surely these days there will be a suitable resistor across any big caps to
drain the charge in a matter of seconds?

Possibly but our microwave was made in "those days", probably about 20
years ago.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote in message

"shorepot15" wrote in message
The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter
of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a
couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb
there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it
not user-replaceable?
Mike

Make, model etc..

Most of us are not telepathic!

Really? Bet you can't guess what I'm thinking ??
WaveyDave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
shorepot15 wrote:
On 9 Dec, 16:35, "Toby" wrote:
[...]

And a 15 year old Tosh is probably favourite for having a
hatch for the lamp, and the OP says it did have one.
What I cant quite understand, if the hatch wasn't for the
lamp, what was it for?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"shorepot15" wrote in message
The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter
of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a
couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb
there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it
not user-replaceable?
Mike

Was this cover on the outside, or inside the cooking cavity?
If inside, then I think you have removed the mica window
that covers the antenna on the magnetron.
The lamp is usually on the opposite side to this, look for some
holes in the cavity.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound used his keyboard to write :

I asked a similar question here some time ago and the advice (unanimous
IIRC) was that lethal voltages were around and it was best left alone.
Buy yourself a torch. :-)

-- Mike Barnes

Surely these days there will be a suitable resistor across any big caps to
drain the charge in a matter of seconds? I'd be surprised if they were not
safe after being powered down for a minute.

The discharge resistors can and do fail/ go open circuit. when they do,
the caps can store the EHT for many hours.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, shorepot15 wrote:
The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a
matter of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I
undid a couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no
bulb there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going
on? Is it not user-replaceable?

I asked a similar question here some time ago and the advice
(unanimous IIRC) was that lethal voltages were around and it was best
left alone.

Buy yourself a torch. :-)

I suggested that to SWMBO when the bulb in our microwave went. Apparently
that idea wsn't good enough.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 18:09:09 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, newshound wrote:

I asked a similar question here some time ago and the advice (unanimous
IIRC) was that lethal voltages were around and it was best left alone.
Buy yourself a torch. :-)

Surely these days there will be a suitable resistor across any big caps to
drain the charge in a matter of seconds?

Possibly but our microwave was made in "those days", probably about 20
years ago.

In "those days" things were made properly and microwave ovens
effectively cost about thirty times the price nowadays.

It's the ones today made by illiterate slave/prisoner/child labour to
sell for £27.50 including import duty and a margin for the supermarket
plus shipping from China you need to worry about.

But don't make any assumptions, don't take any chances.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 18:27:47 -0000, "Dave"
wrote:

Really? Bet you can't guess what I'm thinking ??

I see a vague empty vacuuous space ...

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message

"shorepot15" wrote in message
The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a
matter of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I
undid a couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was
no bulb there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's
going on? Is it not user-replaceable?
Mike

Make, model etc..

Most of us are not telepathic!

Really? Bet you can't guess what I'm thinking ??

If you concentrate really hard I could tell you what your parents names are

Dave - The Medway Mindreader
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from shorepot15 contains these words:

The light in the microwave has failed - I assumed it would be a matter
of replacing the bulb as you do with a fridge or an oven. I undid a
couple of screws and a small panel came off but there was no bulb
there and the manual doesn't mention it at all. What's going on? Is it
not user-replaceable?

I have an old Panasonic that I inherited when my father died in 1995.
That later went dark and after some years I eventually took the casing
off to see what sort of bulb I needed to get. Turned out I didn't need a
new bulb as the original was unscathed, just loose. Seemed it was not
the first time that the bulb had come loose as someone had tried to
restrain it with selotape. I just twisted it tight again and so far at
least it hasn't come loose again.

--
Roger Chapman