Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Quick SDS drill question - any experience?

My cheapo SDS drill doesn't have long to go (brushes don't last and
it's hardly worth the investment to buy new ones), so I've decided to
get a new one.
Although they're incredibly useful, it's not that often that I have to
get it out so it's not easily to justify (/ask Father Christmas for) a
top of the range one. I had my eye on the De Walt from Screwfix
(http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30228/...Drills/DeWalt-
D25003K-GB-650W-2kg-SDS-Plus-Hammer-Drill-240V) but went into B+Q last
night and they had these knocked down to 50 quid (
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...isSearch=false
) (Blimey that's a long link - it's a 700Watt Black and Decker, in
case that doesn't work)

I was just wondering, before entering into negotiations, whether
anyone has had good or bad experiences with either. As I said, it's
not something I'll use every day, so I don't need a 200 quid jobbie,
but it would be good to know whether either of these is prone to
falling apart in 5 minutes. My only 'must have' feature is a rotation
stop for chiselling as breaking things up and cutting chases is so
much simpler with an SDS.

Cheers Chaps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
GMM wrote:
I was just wondering, before entering into negotiations, whether
anyone has had good or bad experiences with either.

The DeWalt looks - and has a spec similar to - the original that was
really just about the first DIY affordable SDS with rotation stop. But at
well under half the price. If it is it's a great unit. My original still
works fine and is a joy to use.

--
*It's o.k. to laugh during sexŒ.Œ.just don't point!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GMM" wrote in message
My cheapo SDS drill doesn't have long to go (brushes don't last and
it's hardly worth the investment to buy new ones), so I've decided to
get a new one.
Although they're incredibly useful, it's not that often that I have to
get it out so it's not easily to justify (/ask Father Christmas for) a
top of the range one. I had my eye on the De Walt from Screwfix
(http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30228/...Drills/DeWalt-

Go for the DeWalt one, they are brilliant and you will not want for a
better drill.
I have exactly the same one as in the Screwfix link and I can honestly say
that it is easily the best bit of kit I've ever bought.
This drill will not fall apart, and you can get ALL SPARE PARTS for it.
The vary speed function is really useful.
But don't expect to break 6" concrete with it though.
Regards;
Wavey Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message

"GMM" wrote in message
[...]

I have had the DeWalt. It took 6 years of constant abuse to break it. I was
so pleased with it I bought another. The DeWalt actually has more hammer
power than the B&D even though the motor uses less power.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

My cheapo SDS drill doesn't have long to go (brushes don't last and
it's hardly worth the investment to buy new ones), so I've decided to
get a new one.
Although they're incredibly useful, it's not that often that I have to
get it out so it's not easily to justify (/ask Father Christmas for) a
top of the range one. I had my eye on the De Walt from Screwfix
(http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30228/...Drills/DeWalt-
D25003K-GB-650W-2kg-SDS-Plus-Hammer-Drill-240V)

I bought the Dewalt last year, but have only ever used it once - only
because I already have a 18v cordless SDS, so it hasnt been needed.
If you are in the Leicester area, I'd sell it at £50, including 2
chisels and a few drills.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 9 Dec, 17:59, (A.Lee) wrote:
GMM wrote:
My cheapo SDS drill doesn't have long to go (brushes don't last and
it's hardly worth the investment to buy new ones), so I've decided to
get a new one.
Although they're incredibly useful, it's not that often that I have to
get it out so it's not easily to justify (/ask Father Christmas for) a
top of the range one. *I had my eye on the De Walt from Screwfix
(http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30228/...Drills/DeWalt-
D25003K-GB-650W-2kg-SDS-Plus-Hammer-Drill-240V)

I bought the Dewalt last year, but have only ever used it once - only
because I already have a 18v cordless SDS, so it hasnt been needed.
If you are in the Leicester area, I'd sell it at £50, including 2
chisels and a few drills.
Alan.

Looks like the DeWalt is the way to go then!

Thanks for the offer Alan, but sadly there's no way I can make it to
Leicester in the near future, or I'd be happy to take it off your
hands. Perhaps there's someone lurking in the group who might be able
to relieve you of it though.

All the best

Quick Question PanHandler Home Repair 3 December 28th 06 05:53 AM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 03:57 AM
Quick Change for drill Grant Woodworking 11 March 1st 05 02:45 AM
Any experience with Clarke Power Products drill press L. Wilson Woodworking 0 January 25th 05 12:25 AM
A quick question. Ian UK diy 12 February 29th 04 10:34 AM