Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Broken plastic nuts

About six weeks ago I had a new bath and shower fitted. The other day
the bath taps came loose and I am now able to lift the taps up and
twist them around!! This has caused leaking through to my kitchen
ceiling as water has being getting through. Tonight the plumber who
fitted the bathroom came back to have a look and said that both of the
plastic nuts seem to have broken (one of them into three pieces) and
says that it is our fault for buying taps from homebase and that the
taps he would've supplied would have come with metal nuts and this
wouldn't have happened!
I argued with him but he wouldn't back down that two nuts wouldn't just
break of their own accord through me just using a tap as a tap! He was
having none of it and said that he would charge me £40 to replace
them!! It's a load of codswallop if you ask me! I think he broke them
when he put them on which resulted in him putting sealant around the
taps so that they would temporarily stay in place.
Can anybody tell me whether plastic nuts are unreliable as he says they
are?? I find it hard to believe that they would just break after only
being used a few times!

Thanks

--
goddess