Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wax-stained Bath stone fireplace

My wife has left a large wax candle on a Bath stone ledge adjacent to
the fireplace, which has melted and run down/flowed along the ledge,
staining it a dark shade. All the 'lumps' have been scraped off, but I
need to address the stained area, where the wax has been absorbed into
the stone surface.

Can anyone suggest a product and/or process which will help?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"bilbo*baggins" writes:
My wife has left a large wax candle on a Bath stone ledge adjacent to
the fireplace, which has melted and run down/flowed along the ledge,
staining it a dark shade. All the 'lumps' have been scraped off, but I
need to address the stained area, where the wax has been absorbed into
the stone surface.

Can anyone suggest a product and/or process which will help?

A trick for wax on carpets is a warm iron and absorbant paper
such as kitchen roll. Make sure the paper has no ink dyes
in it. Don't know how well it would work on stone. Need longer
with the iron I expect to get the stone up to wax melting point.
Dyes in the wax may not come out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"bilbo*baggins" writes:
My wife has left a large wax candle on a Bath stone ledge adjacent to
the fireplace, which has melted and run down/flowed along the ledge,
staining it a dark shade. All the 'lumps' have been scraped off, but I
need to address the stained area, where the wax has been absorbed into
the stone surface.

Can anyone suggest a product and/or process which will help?

A trick for wax on carpets is a warm iron and absorbant paper
such as kitchen roll. Make sure the paper has no ink dyes
in it. Don't know how well it would work on stone. Need longer
with the iron I expect to get the stone up to wax melting point.
Dyes in the wax may not come out.

heat gun or hair-drier might work better in place of the iron

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Kevin writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"bilbo*baggins" writes:
My wife has left a large wax candle on a Bath stone ledge adjacent to
the fireplace, which has melted and run down/flowed along the ledge,
staining it a dark shade. All the 'lumps' have been scraped off, but I
need to address the stained area, where the wax has been absorbed into
the stone surface.

Can anyone suggest a product and/or process which will help?

A trick for wax on carpets is a warm iron and absorbant paper
such as kitchen roll. Make sure the paper has no ink dyes
in it. Don't know how well it would work on stone. Need longer
with the iron I expect to get the stone up to wax melting point.
Dyes in the wax may not come out.

heat gun or hair-drier might work better in place of the iron

Without the paper pressed against the stain at the same time,
they might just spread it.

Use a fresh piece of paper as soon as it's absorbed any wax.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Kevin writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article

ps.com,
"bilbo*baggins" writes:
[...]

If there's any left at that point then a citrus oil based cleaner is
good at getting wax out of porous surfaces. Then use a detergent to get
rid of the citrus oil.

The most effective citrus oil cleaner I have found is snowboard base
cleaner, expensive at about a tenner for 150ml, it's used to remove wax
from the porous base. Buy from snowboard shops or online.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Kevin writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article

ps.com,
"bilbo*baggins" writes:
[...]

Candle wax is soluble in white spirit. I'd try that first
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:51:01 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

Candle wax is soluble in white spirit. I'd try that first

But white spirit is a bit "oily", so even if it lifts the wax it might
leave behind a worse mess... As always experiment on a hidden place first.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Kevin writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"bilbo*baggins" writes:
[...]

I had in my mind bath stone had a rough brick like texture an a iron
would have little effect,it would ok on flat surfaces or cloth
--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , stuart noble
writes
fred wrote:
In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Kevin writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Without the paper pressed against the stain at the same time,
they might just spread it.

Use a fresh piece of paper as soon as it's absorbed any wax.

If there's any left at that point then a citrus oil based cleaner is
good at getting wax out of porous surfaces. Then use a detergent to get
rid of the citrus oil.

The most effective citrus oil cleaner I have found is snowboard base
cleaner, expensive at about a tenner for 150ml, it's used to remove wax
from the porous base. Buy from snowboard shops or online.

Candle wax is soluble in white spirit. I'd try that first

It's a difficult choice whether to chose a solvent or a cleanser.

On a non absorbent surface I wouldn't hesitate to use a solvent but on a
porous surface I would be concerned about driving the contaminant deeper
and have it leech back out later. The benefit of a cleanser being that
it absorbs as it dissolves.

Not authoritative, just another angle.
--
fred