Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Wax-stained Bath stone fireplace

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Kevin writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article

ps.com,
"bilbo*baggins" writes:
My wife has left a large wax candle on a Bath stone ledge adjacent to
the fireplace, which has melted and run down/flowed along the ledge,
staining it a dark shade. All the 'lumps' have been scraped off, but I
need to address the stained area, where the wax has been absorbed into
the stone surface.

Can anyone suggest a product and/or process which will help?

A trick for wax on carpets is a warm iron and absorbant paper
such as kitchen roll. Make sure the paper has no ink dyes
in it. Don't know how well it would work on stone. Need longer
with the iron I expect to get the stone up to wax melting point.
Dyes in the wax may not come out.

heat gun or hair-drier might work better in place of the iron

Without the paper pressed against the stain at the same time,
they might just spread it.

Use a fresh piece of paper as soon as it's absorbed any wax.

If there's any left at that point then a citrus oil based cleaner is
good at getting wax out of porous surfaces. Then use a detergent to get
rid of the citrus oil.

The most effective citrus oil cleaner I have found is snowboard base
cleaner, expensive at about a tenner for 150ml, it's used to remove wax
from the porous base. Buy from snowboard shops or online.
--
fred