Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mortar colour

I want to do build a garden wall, using old bricks, and try to match the
light coloured mortar of the main house.This is a lime mortar I presume.

I suppose it's a matter of trial and error in the mix but is the best
approach to use lime, or white cement? Are there any guides available - (I
couldn't find any in a quick search) ?
--
Regards,

Chris Skrimshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Chris Skrimshire" writes:
I want to do build a garden wall, using old bricks, and try to match the
light coloured mortar of the main house.This is a lime mortar I presume.

I suppose it's a matter of trial and error in the mix but is the best
approach to use lime, or white cement? Are there any guides available - (I
couldn't find any in a quick search) ?

If you're starting afresh, use white cement. However, the sand will
have more effect on the colour than the cement, and most bricklaying
sands are rich in fine iron ore pigment. You could use a rendering
sand instead, but it will be harder to use for bricklaying. There
are more silver coloured sands too, but I don't know what they're
like for bricklaying or what they cost.

The other important thing is the bricks. Strange though it might seem,
you need significantly better bricks to build a garden wall than you
do to build a house. Walls get soaked both sides and have no heat
leaking through to dry them out, so they are much more vulnerable to
frost damage. This means you need to use bricks with low absorbancy,
and your old bricks may be unsuitable.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Skrimshire wrote:
I want to do build a garden wall, using old bricks, and try to match the
light coloured mortar of the main house.This is a lime mortar I presume.

I suppose it's a matter of trial and error in the mix but is the best
approach to use lime, or white cement? Are there any guides available - (I
couldn't find any in a quick search) ?

lime and white cement produce a similar color. I would tend to use white
cement myself, coupled with lots of 'bow ties'.. if you use cement you
have to stop movement, as unlike lime, the mortar cant take movement
without cracking.

The resultant colour is the sand colour washed out..round here we have
yellow wand, so its a pale buff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Skrimshire wrote:
I want to do build a garden wall, using old bricks, and try to match the
light coloured mortar of the main house.This is a lime mortar I presume.

I suppose it's a matter of trial and error in the mix but is the best
approach to use lime, or white cement? Are there any guides available - (I
couldn't find any in a quick search) ?

If you gave us more idea of the mortar colour and close-up
appearance...

Only comment to add is that old soft bricks and cement mortar are a
bad combination. Yes it works, but when the cement eventually fails it
tends to pull off the edges of the bricks with it. Once that happens,
its an inevitable downhill slide for the bricks. A lime mortar would
be better, probably moderately hydraulic.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Skrimshire wrote:
I want to do build a garden wall, using old bricks, and try to match the
light coloured mortar of the main house.This is a lime mortar I presume.

It's too cold to use lime cement in the winter,
it wont set properly i thin

[g]