Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Skrimshire Chris Skrimshire is offline

Default mortar colour

Thanks for the tips.

The bricks in question, though oldish, are hard and I have not seen frost
damage in them locally, even when used in garden walls.

I will get hold of some silver sand and try some mixes.

--
Regards,

Chris Skrimshire
Chris Skrimshire wrote:
I want to do build a garden wall, using old bricks, and try to match the
light coloured mortar of the main house.This is a lime mortar I presume.

I suppose it's a matter of trial and error in the mix but is the best
approach to use lime, or white cement? Are there any guides available -
(I
couldn't find any in a quick search) ?

If you gave us more idea of the mortar colour and close-up
appearance...

Only comment to add is that old soft bricks and cement mortar are a
bad combination. Yes it works, but when the cement eventually fails

its never the cement that fails. Its the old soft bricks.

it
tends to pull off the edges of the bricks with it. Once that happens,
its an inevitable downhill slide for the bricks. A lime mortar would
be better, probably moderately hydraulic.

NT