Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating a wall

Customer in a Victorian house has a bathroom with a single skin end wall
2.4m x 2.6m which gets very cold and attracts condensation like crazy.

They have asked me to build a false wall with insulation to keep the
bathroom warmer & reduce the condensation. However, in the middle of the
wall is a metal Crittal window, obviously single glazed, about 1m x 1m.

Don't want to do the job & then find it hasn't solved the problem. My
feeling is they would be better for them to spend the money having the
window changed to a DG jobby & perhaps having the wall insulated at a later
date.

Any thoughts?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Customer in a Victorian house has a bathroom with a single skin end
wall 2.4m x 2.6m which gets very cold and attracts condensation like
crazy.

They have asked me to build a false wall with insulation to keep the
bathroom warmer & reduce the condensation. However, in the middle of
the wall is a metal Crittal window, obviously single glazed, about 1m
x 1m.
Don't want to do the job & then find it hasn't solved the problem. My
feeling is they would be better for them to spend the money having the
window changed to a DG jobby & perhaps having the wall insulated at a
later date.

Any thoughts?

white pvc windows are very cheap these days, simply tell them that it's a
wasted exercise unless the frame is changed at the same time - it may look
like you are touting for work, but why do the wall and then find that it's
not made much difference?

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I don't do windows, but I like to give honest advice.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news
Phil L wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Just done exactly that.

Removed a steel (1950s) Crittal window. (Easy once you realise how they are
fixed in)
Fitted a quality DG window into the aperture, (£130 for 110 x 990mm)
including fitting the glass within the frame correctly and aligning.
Made good and sealed.

All done, 6 hours and a few more rendering the sill and surround where some
of the render/pointing was damaged and loose.

As for the insulating, sounds like the room need a vent rather than
cladding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Phil L wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

In the case of upvc, "doing windows" means carrying a whole host of
ancillary bits and pieces that aren't easy to source outside the trade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 3, 9:06*am, stuart noble wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Phil L wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Rubbish. I've done 6 and three doors now, all with ancilliary bits
easily obtained as a non-trade customer.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Phil L wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Well, good for you. I don't happen to have a local source for the
various trims they use to finish the job off neatly so, as a handyman, I
wouldn't take on that kind of work. Is that rubbish?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:53:26 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Customer in a Victorian house has a bathroom with a single skin end wall
2.4m x 2.6m which gets very cold and attracts condensation like crazy.

They have asked me to build a false wall with insulation to keep the
bathroom warmer & reduce the condensation. However, in the middle of the
wall is a metal Crittal window, obviously single glazed, about 1m x 1m.

Don't want to do the job & then find it hasn't solved the problem. My
feeling is they would be better for them to spend the money having the
window changed to a DG jobby & perhaps having the wall insulated at a later
date.

Any thoughts?

You could try this old standby as an interim measure and as a possible
indicator of the best way ahead. The condensation issue would almost
disappear:

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/Coving/War...er/invt/112666

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

Is this expanded polystyrene or similar? We used it many years ago and
it did make the wall warm to the touch. Snag is that if anything with an
edge falls against it it rips. I don't recall it lifting even in the
bathroom.
Funnily enough we also had Crittall windows. Used to get ice on the
inside of the metalwork in the winter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Customer in a Victorian house has a bathroom with a single skin end wall
2.4m x 2.6m which gets very cold and attracts condensation like crazy.

They have asked me to build a false wall with insulation to keep the
bathroom warmer & reduce the condensation. However, in the middle of the
wall is a metal Crittal window, obviously single glazed, about 1m x 1m.

Don't want to do the job & then find it hasn't solved the problem. My
feeling is they would be better for them to spend the money having the
window changed to a DG jobby & perhaps having the wall insulated at a later
date.

Any thoughts?

Window is 1m2
Wall is 2.4 x 2.6 = 6.24m2, minus the window which leaves 5.24m2

By single skin wall, do you mean a half-brick 4" wall, or a
full brick 9" wall?

Can't find a U value for a half brick (and plastered) wall, but
I'll guess at 2.5.

U value for metal frame single glazed window is 5.8

So loss through wall is 5.24 x 2.5 = 13.1W/C
Loss through window is 1 x 5 = 5.8W/C

So 69% of the heat loss is through the wall, and 31% through the window.

How much these reduce by will depend how much you insulate them.

A Part L window will be about 1.7 U value, so replacinging the
window alone would reduce that to 1.7W/C, which would be only
a 22% saving in total heat loss.

Can't be bothered to work out the celotex/kingspan value, because
I can't find a website which will give me the U values of either
without giving them an email address to spam me with, but even 25mm
of this is going to have a much more drammatic effect than changing
the window.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
[...]

is way more than that. 3-4. for 4" brick.

U value for metal frame single glazed window is 5.8

So loss through wall is 5.24 x 2.5 = 13.1W/C
Loss through window is 1 x 5 = 5.8W/C

So 69% of the heat loss is through the wall, and 31% through the window.

How much these reduce by will depend how much you insulate them.

A Part L window will be about 1.7 U value, so replacinging the
window alone would reduce that to 1.7W/C, which would be only
a 22% saving in total heat loss.

Can't be bothered to work out the celotex/kingspan value, because
I can't find a website which will give me the U values of either
without giving them an email address to spam me with, but even 25mm
of this is going to have a much more drammatic effect than changing
the window.

Yup. BUT the main effect of insulating walls will be a massive
condensation on the window, as the really cold spot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Customer in a Victorian house has a bathroom with a single skin end wall
2.4m x 2.6m which gets very cold and attracts condensation like crazy.

They have asked me to build a false wall with insulation to keep the
bathroom warmer & reduce the condensation. However, in the middle of the
wall is a metal Crittal window, obviously single glazed, about 1m x 1m.

Don't want to do the job & then find it hasn't solved the problem. My
feeling is they would be better for them to spend the money having the
window changed to a DG jobby & perhaps having the wall insulated at a
later date.

Any thoughts?

Depending on when it was installed, Crittall windows can be very attractive
and it would be a shame to lose them. Once you've completed the false wall,
could you then fit openable secondary glazing in the window space?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Customer in a Victorian house has a bathroom with a single skin end wall
2.4m x 2.6m which gets very cold and attracts condensation like crazy.

They have asked me to build a false wall with insulation to keep the
bathroom warmer & reduce the condensation. However, in the middle of the
wall is a metal Crittal window, obviously single glazed, about 1m x 1m.

Don't want to do the job & then find it hasn't solved the problem. My
feeling is they would be better for them to spend the money having the
window changed to a DG jobby & perhaps having the wall insulated at a later
date.

Any thoughts?

Area of wall = 2.4 x 2.6 - 1 = 5.24m^2
Area of window = 1m^2

I presume when you say "single skin" wall you refer to a 8" or 9" thick
wall with no cavity rather than 4 - 5" one?

If so, the u value for the wall is say 2.2, and the window could be as
bad as 5.6

If you take and arbitrary temperature difference of say 20 degrees, that
means loss from the wall at a rate of 20 x 5.24 x 2.2 = 230W
and from the window at 20 x 1 x 5.6 = 112W

So you are loosing twice as much through the wall as the window.
Insulating the wall will certainly make the room much warmer - however
it will probably result in even more condensation on the window.

Personally I would recommend they change the window at the same time, or
at least add secondary double glazing. (you could get a basic uPVC DG
window for £100 - £200 probably). Obviously the cost doubles if you jump
through the part L building notice hoops.

If you gave the wall a 50mm overcoat of celotex, taped the joints and
then battened (fixed through the insulation) and boarded, you could drop
the wall u value to 0.3, which would be heat loss rate of just 32W in
this case! A uPVC or wood DG window with =16mm cavity would probably
lose at a similar rate.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A rule of thumb, and one I would agree with, is that DG isn't really
worth it if you have solid masonry walls.

Given the potential damp problems, this is an ideal job for either
foil-faced celotex/kingspan with stud and plasterboard on top, or the
insulation backed plasterboard applied directly.

50mm foil faced full sheets are about £15-18.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Given the potential damp problems, this is an ideal job for either
foil-faced celotex/kingspan with stud and plasterboard on top, or the
insulation backed plasterboard applied directly.

I have been contemplating dry lining on these lines for some time but am
puzzled that you (and John Rumm also) envisage insulation on the bricks
with battens over . I thought the conventional wisdom was to batten the
walls and then apply the PIR - as eg in Kingspan's
http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/uk/pdf/k18.pdf. Have I got that (as
all too many other things) ass upwards?
--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've only done it with the foil-faced insulation board directly on the
walls, followed by stud, followed by plasterboard. Two advantages that
I can see to this approach - stud over the top of the insulation
provides somewhere for cable routing - and it's possible to screw
through the plasterboard and into the stud to fix stuff to the walls
(like radiators). AFAIK this is the manufacturers recommended approach
when using separate insulation board and plasterboard - certainly that
was my understanding from Celotex's website. It will take up more
space though, but an additional upside may be the moisture barrier it
provides against solid masonry that might be problematic.

I can't see any solution but that insulation backed plasterboard has
to go over the stud/battens or be direct fixed (again AFAIK this is
what the manufacturer recommends) - and in many situations it sounds
like it could be a good bit less work!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

neverwas wrote:
Given the potential damp problems, this is an ideal job for either
foil-faced celotex/kingspan with stud and plasterboard on top, or the
insulation backed plasterboard applied directly.

I have been contemplating dry lining on these lines for some time but am
puzzled that you (and John Rumm also) envisage insulation on the bricks
with battens over . I thought the conventional wisdom was to batten the
walls and then apply the PIR - as eg in Kingspan's
http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/uk/pdf/k18.pdf. Have I got that (as
all too many other things) ass upwards?

The page you link to shows two insulating products in use - one between
battens, and another bonded to the plasterboard (i.e. the K18 Dry Lining
Board) and indeed that is one way of doing it. The disadvantage of a
solution like that is the timber itself acts as a cold bridge - lowering
the overall insulating value. The additional layer of insulation over
the top of the studs however helps. The advantage is ease of fixing the
plasterboard.

A simpler way in some cases is just to cover the wall with insulation,
and then the plasterboard - hence no thermal bridges. However fixing the
plasterboard so that it is level is harder to do that way. Hence slim
battens can be screwed onto the top of the insulation (fixed through it
with long screws) to make mounting the plasterboard easier.

For a small wall area such a TMH described I would be tempted to simply
"glue" the lot in place with expansing foam. You can get a "board fix"
version of it designed for the purpose.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Customer in a Victorian house has a bathroom with a single skin end wall
2.4m x 2.6m which gets very cold and attracts condensation like crazy.

They have asked me to build a false wall with insulation to keep the
bathroom warmer & reduce the condensation. However, in the middle of the
wall is a metal Crittal window, obviously single glazed, about 1m x 1m.

Don't want to do the job & then find it hasn't solved the problem. My
feeling is they would be better for them to spend the money having the
window changed to a DG jobby & perhaps having the wall insulated at a later
date.

Any thoughts?

heatloss through the window will be similar (larger, but similar) to the
wall, area for area. Tackle the biggest area.

Put foam strip in the crittal for starters if you leave it.

Youll need a fan...

And either secondary glazing or some mega thick curtains will help the
window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Customer in a Victorian house has a bathroom with a single skin end wall
2.4m x 2.6m which gets very cold and attracts condensation like crazy.

They have asked me to build a false wall with insulation to keep the
bathroom warmer & reduce the condensation. However, in the middle of the
wall is a metal Crittal window, obviously single glazed, about 1m x 1m.

Don't want to do the job & then find it hasn't solved the problem. My
feeling is they would be better for them to spend the money having the
window changed to a DG jobby & perhaps having the wall insulated at a
later date.

Any thoughts? --
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I don't like windows in bathrooms, they are a pain and unnecessary this day
and age, my advice ie to remove it and replace it with a high insulation
panel of some kind not forgetting to build in a fan, then insulate whole
wall as others have suggested.
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
[...]

In this day and age, why have windows anywhere? More room for plasma
screens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

stuart noble wrote:
Donwill wrote:

snip

I don't like windows in bathrooms, they are a pain and unnecessary
this day
and age, my advice ie to remove it and replace it with a high insulation
panel of some kind not forgetting to build in a fan, then insulate whole
wall as others have suggested.
Don

In this day and age, why have windows anywhere? More room for plasma
screens.

Made us laugh!

In this day and age there is no need for noisy fans that need
electricity and get dirty - just open the bathroom window.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Donwill wrote:

snip

I don't like windows in bathrooms, they are a pain and unnecessary
this day
and age, my advice ie to remove it and replace it with a high
insulation
panel of some kind not forgetting to build in a fan, then insulate
whole
wall as others have suggested.
Don

In this day and age, why have windows anywhere? More room for plasma
screens.

Made us laugh!

In this day and age there is no need for noisy fans that need
electricity and get dirty - just open the bathroom window.

A friend of mine has just installed a large plasma in his flat but, as
he needs to sit halfway down the garden to get far enough away to watch
it, he needs to keep the windows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Rod wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Donwill wrote:

snip

I don't like windows in bathrooms, they are a pain and unnecessary
this day
and age, my advice ie to remove it and replace it with a high
insulation
panel of some kind not forgetting to build in a fan, then insulate
whole
wall as others have suggested.
Don

In this day and age, why have windows anywhere? More room for plasma
screens.

Made us laugh!

In this day and age there is no need for noisy fans that need electricity
and get dirty - just open the bathroom window.

A friend of mine has just installed a large plasma in his flat but, as he
needs to sit halfway down the garden to get far enough away to watch it,
he needs to keep the windows.

Hard luck if he's installed it in his bathroom, I assume he has obscured
glass in the bathroom window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Donwill wrote:

snip

I don't like windows in bathrooms, they are a pain and unnecessary
this day
and age, my advice ie to remove it and replace it with a high
insulation
panel of some kind not forgetting to build in a fan, then insulate
whole
wall as others have suggested.
Don

In this day and age, why have windows anywhere? More room for plasma
screens.

Made us laugh!

In this day and age there is no need for noisy fans that need
electricity and get dirty - just open the bathroom window.

Yup.

rather like me discussing with a groundman how much it would cist to
hire a minidigger to do 15 foot of trenchwork for a run of soil pipe: 'I
can do that in 4 hours for less than he will charge you, with a spade'

He was right.

Sadly te BCO requires fans, whether you have a window or not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
I don't like windows in bathrooms, they are a pain and unnecessary this
day
and age, my advice ie to remove it and replace it with a high insulation
panel of some kind not forgetting to build in a fan, then insulate whole
wall as others have suggested.
Don

In this day and age, why have windows anywhere?

I would have thought that was obvious.

A bathroom on occasions has saturated air in it, even a DG window will have
water condensing out on it.

More room for plasma
screens.

No, more room for a large heated mirror wich will make your bathroom look
twice as large.

on

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot writes:

"stuart noble" wrote in message

In this day and age, why have windows anywhere?

I would have thought that was obvious.

A bathroom on occasions has saturated air in it, even a DG window will have
water condensing out on it.

More room for plasma
screens.

No, more room for a large heated mirror wich will make your bathroom look
twice as large.

Just need to add a tiny camera, and your plasma screen becomes
a large heated mirror...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot writes:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
In this day and age, why have windows anywhere?

I would have thought that was obvious.

A bathroom on occasions has saturated air in it, even a DG window will have
water condensing out on it.

More room for plasma
screens.

No, more room for a large heated mirror wich will make your bathroom look
twice as large.

Just need to add a tiny camera, and your plasma screen becomes
a large heated mirror...

But it will be a wrong-way-round mirror! (In the left-to-right sense.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My brother had same type of situation in his kitchen, single skin wall
extension and metal framed single glazed window.

He used insulated plaster board (50mm insulation) screwed to the wall.
British Gypsum board available from Travis Perkins I think.

Fitted secondary plastic glazing sheeting (Wickes ?) until he could
afford/get round to replacing the window properly.

Before the insulatingplasterboard was fiited he suffered horendous mould and
condensation problems on this wall, despite having an extraction cooker hood
and separate kitchen extractor fan.

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Customer in a Victorian house has a bathroom with a single skin end wall
2.4m x 2.6m which gets very cold and attracts condensation like crazy.

They have asked me to build a false wall with insulation to keep the
bathroom warmer & reduce the condensation. However, in the middle of the
wall is a metal Crittal window, obviously single glazed, about 1m x 1m.

Don't want to do the job & then find it hasn't solved the problem. My
feeling is they would be better for them to spend the money having the
window changed to a DG jobby & perhaps having the wall insulated at a
later date.

Any thoughts?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Insulating an uneven wall Eigenvector Home Repair 9 November 17th 06 11:15 PM
Cavity wall insulating an internal wall informer UK diy 1 October 6th 06 10:48 AM
Insulating Bathroom Wall.. Stuart UK diy 7 March 1st 06 11:02 AM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
Kitchen wall Insulating r.w. Home Repair 2 July 28th 03 02:28 AM