Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cavity wall insulating an internal wall

I live in a 1990 built 4 bed detached house which has cavity wall insulation
on all of the outer walls.

The small 4th bedroom above the garage which is the same size as bedroom 3
and has the same size window and radiator is always noticeably colder and
suffers a faster temperature drop when all of the bedroom doors are shut.
Our hall and stairs also feels quite cool.

In the past I have double insulated the loft above this bedroom and
insulated below the floorboards in case cold was rising up from the garage
below but still this bedroom is cold. On checking the internal garage
cavity wall between the garage and the hall, which also extends into the
bedroom above, it would appear that this wall has no cavity insulation.

I am now having the garage converted into a room and was wondering whether I
would feel any benefit from having this wall cavity filled with some sort
solid setting insulation seeing that this wall will now be heated on both
sides. My logic is that this wall will still be cold as cold air from the
roof and loft will still fill the cavity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

informer wrote:
[...]

Once you turn it intro a room, the need for the insulation falls away.
It itself will be a far better insulation AS A ROOM than any cavity wall
insulation could ever be, and if it itself is insulated, then trebly so.
Unless you are using it for cold storage or something.

Insulation works to stop heat travelling between areas of distinctly
different temperatures. If the garage/room is now at sensible indoor
temp - insulation does nowt.

Cavity wall insulation MikeH UK diy 1 July 15th 06 07:36 PM
How to bridge the gap in wall cavity after fitting new UPVC door + frame Some-Hope! UK diy 1 June 27th 06 11:55 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Ownership 25 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited. Pat Keith Home Repair 14 August 20th 03 09:35 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM