Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Volume

Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy & started to
watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the slider
control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. Is
that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where to plug
them in?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[******** why is backspace next to return?]

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. Is
that the likely cause

Not really, assuming you have a separate speaker connection from the
PC/laptop to the screen?

or can I turn up the volume in some way?

If you single click the speaker icon on the bottom right of the taskbar
you'll get an overall volume control, if you double click it you'll get
several more individual volume controls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Nov, 16:36, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy & started to
watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. *Tried using the slider
control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. *Is
that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where to plug
them in?

If the suggestion for tweaking your system's volume doesn't do it
(although it should), you can get USB speakers...as for where to plug
them in, you get three guesses, but your first two don't count.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy & started to
watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the
slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. Is
that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where to plug
them in?

Slider control in outlook Express(?)

Are you running some version or other of Windows?
Is there a speaker icon on the taskbar near the clock?
If not, go to start-control panel-sounds and audio devices
and check the "put icon on taskbar" box.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:36:45 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy & started to
watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the slider
control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. Is
that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where to plug
them in?

Does the screen itself have a volume control? I have a couple of Belinea
screens, and their volume control is non-obvious; it isn't on the
on-screen menus. You just, when the menu *isn't* showing, press the UP
and DOWN buttons...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

[******** why is backspace next to return?]

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm.
Is that the likely cause

Not really, assuming you have a separate speaker connection from the
PC/laptop to the screen?

No, just power & connection.

or can I turn up the volume in some way?

If you single click the speaker icon on the bottom right of the
taskbar you'll get an overall volume control, if you double click it
you'll get several more individual volume controls.

Thats helped a bit, thanks.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy &
started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the
slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm.
Is that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where
to plug them in?

If the suggestion for tweaking your system's volume doesn't do it
(although it should), you can get USB speakers...as for where to plug
them in, you get three guesses, but your first two don't count.

I expected more from the new Green Lantern....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy &
started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the
slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm.
Is that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where
to plug them in?

Does the screen itself have a volume control? I have a couple of
Belinea screens, and their volume control is non-obvious; it isn't on
the on-screen menus. You just, when the menu *isn't* showing, press
the UP and DOWN buttons...

Bob, you are a genius! I buggered about with the previously untouched
buttons on the front & found a volume function. Well done that man.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy &
started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the
slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm.
Is that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where
to plug them in?

If the suggestion for tweaking your system's volume doesn't do it
(although it should), you can get USB speakers...as for where to plug
them in, you get three guesses, but your first two don't count.

I expected more from the new Green Lantern....

Ah but I have no need for such things with my X-ray hearing *strikes
dramatic pose*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
wrote:

Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy &
started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the
slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm.
Is that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where
to plug them in?

Does the screen itself have a volume control? I have a couple of
Belinea screens, and their volume control is non-obvious; it isn't on
the on-screen menus. You just, when the menu *isn't* showing, press
the UP and DOWN buttons...

Bob, you are a genius! I buggered about with the previously untouched
buttons on the front & found a volume function. Well done that man.

.... and they let you near Ikea flat pack furniture with an unsheathed
screwdriver ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy &
started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the
slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. Is
that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where to
plug them in?

No help to you I'm afraid but am I the last to notice that the iPlayer
volume control goes up to 11? A nice touch from a Spinal Tap fan no doubt.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Dave - if you're watching quite a lot of films, it may well be worth
your while investing in a system including a 'woofer' (bass speaker)
and good quality speakers. I took the plunge on this a wee while ago
and was astounded by the improvement - the base unit (has all the
amplifiers in it) lives below the desk and the two small speakers on a
shelf at head level. An Ebay buy for £50 - Aego from Audio Energy,
but I'm sure there are plenty of others around. Well worth the cash.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:28:32 UTC, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy &
started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the
slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. Is
that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where to
plug them in?

No help to you I'm afraid but am I the last to notice that the iPlayer
volume control goes up to 11? A nice touch from a Spinal Tap fan no doubt.

I noticed that a while ago...though not on iPlayer, but on the video
inserts on the BBC News website...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy &
started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the
slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3
cm. Is that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some
way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where
to plug them in?

If the suggestion for tweaking your system's volume doesn't do it
(although it should), you can get USB speakers...as for where to
plug them in, you get three guesses, but your first two don't count.

I expected more from the new Green Lantern....

Ah but I have no need for such things with my X-ray hearing *strikes
dramatic pose*.

That green & black uniform does look rather fetching - doesn't make your bum
look big at all...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Cheers, that'll be due to the patented "Trinny and Susannah support
costume" for the discerning super hero about town.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy &
started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the
slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. Is
that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where to
plug them in?

No help to you I'm afraid but am I the last to notice that the iPlayer
volume control goes up to 11? A nice touch from a Spinal Tap fan no
doubt.

I noticed that a while ago...though not on iPlayer, but on the video
inserts on the BBC News website...

I still don't really get that.. maybe its because my TV goes to 100 and my
surround amp goes to fifty?
I don't think I have ever seen a volume control that only goes to ten.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy &
started to watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using
the slider control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3
cm. Is that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some
way? Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where
to plug them in?

No help to you I'm afraid but am I the last to notice that the
iPlayer volume control goes up to 11? A nice touch from a Spinal
Tap fan no doubt.

I noticed that a while ago...though not on iPlayer, but on the video
inserts on the BBC News website...

I still don't really get that..

Well, you either do or you don't. It all depends on whether you've seen
this.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d54UU-fPIsY

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Just followed the link in Rods posts about the Wigan tragedy & started to
watch the film.

I often find I simply cant hear the sound on films. Tried using the slider
control in OE but still can't hear properly.

My screen only has two small speakers built in, each about 7 x 3 cm. Is
that the likely cause or can I turn up the volume in some way?

Failing that, suggestions for a pair of cheap speakers - and where to plug
them in?

If you are over 50, chances are you are getting mild hearing loss.

Get a proper test done at loacal hospital/audio clinic.

My wife swore she wasn't even the slightest bit deaf, until the tests
showed a response about the same as a person with ear defenders on.

volume Larry Blanchard Woodworking 21 February 14th 08 01:46 AM
Encyclopedia of Energy, Six -Volume Set, Volume 1-6 (CD-ROM) leroi2007 Home Repair 3 September 17th 07 04:40 PM
CH Volume VisionSet UK diy 2 June 25th 06 01:34 AM