Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another obscured glass question

Building regs dictate that my new side facing dorma windows have
obscured glass fitted.

Is it acceptable to use clear glass that has been made obscure? If so
what techniques are available and can it be reversed or removed?

Brian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Drury wrote:
Building regs dictate that my new side facing dorma windows have
obscured glass fitted.

Is it acceptable to use clear glass that has been made obscure? If so
what techniques are available and can it be reversed or removed?

You mean you want to conform to the regs in order to comply, and as soon
as the building control officer is out of the door, revert to clear
glass as cheaply as possible?

You can certainly buy self-adhesive opaque window film from various
sources; however I doubt that a BCO would accept it *if* they spotted
that's what it was, as it's so obviously not permanant. With luck they
might not notice, eg if this is a whole new house your building; but if
it's just a new window that's being checked in isolation they probably
would clock it.

But presumably this window overlooks somebody else's property, hence the
stipulation: what will you do after you take the film off and the
neighbour whinges?

eg http://www.brumebasics.co.uk/basicsfilm.cfm (never used the stuff
myself).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
You can certainly buy self-adhesive opaque window film from various
sources; however I doubt that a BCO would accept it *if* they spotted
that's what it was, as it's so obviously not permanant. With luck they
might not notice, eg if this is a whole new house your building; but if
it's just a new window that's being checked in isolation they probably
would clock it.

'Property Ladder' reckoned it conformed to regs. If I remember correctly
they said that just obscuring part of the glass would be ok in that
particular case.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:47:47 +0000 Lobster wrote :
You mean you want to conform to the regs in order to comply,
and as soon as the building control officer is out of the
door, revert to clear glass as cheaply as possible?

Obscured glass will be a planning requirement, not a building
control matter. Given that the condition requiring it was very
possibly imposed because of a representation from the neighbour,
then it is more than possible that the neighbour will complain
if this it is not adhered to.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 23:37:05 +1100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:47:47 +0000 Lobster wrote :
You mean you want to conform to the regs in order to comply,
and as soon as the building control officer is out of the
door, revert to clear glass as cheaply as possible?

Obscured glass will be a planning requirement, not a building
control matter. Given that the condition requiring it was very
possibly imposed because of a representation from the neighbour,
then it is more than possible that the neighbour will complain
if this it is not adhered to.

Agreed, this is a planning requirement. The dorma this relates to will
be built as permitted development within the new reg's shown he
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...315235153.html

The side view overlooks the roof and un-glazed side of my neighbours
bugalow so the type of glazing will be of little interest to them.

The distant view of the sea however will be of great interest to me.

My previous experience when using 'real' obscured glass for the
extension was that the BCO checked the window view and reported back
to the planning dept that the glass was ok. My guess is that something
similar will happen again. Or are things different now?

Thanks to David Lobster for the link

Brian