Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Only Fools & Handymen...

Anyone remember that wonderful episode of Only Fools & Horses with the
chandelier?

So, there I was fitting a 9 arm chandelier for a regular customer, this one;
http://tinyurl.com/59k2le (the chandelier, not the customer).

Large plaster ceiling rose to be fitted as well.

Job was on the landing, easy access to the other side of the ceiling via the
loft. Couple of 4" screws through the hook bracket & the rose, right into a
joist - good strong fix.

One of those light fittings where you hang it on a hook & slide up a cover
to conceal it.

Hung the chandelier on the hook, poked the cable through a hole in the rose.
went up into the loft to wire up.

Cable coming through the hole wasn't 'quite' long enough to reach the JB, so
knowing there was still a bit of slack I pulled the cable up a bit.

That wasn't the problem.

Letting go of the cable was. It started to disappear back through the hole.
I'd inadvertently lifted the chandelier off the hook.

An almighty crash followed, then a series of crashes. They were the sounds
of the chandelier hitting the banisters, then bouncing down the stairs.

Came down the loft ladder like lightning to find a pile of mangled
chandelier & glass droplets.

No choice but to buy the lady a new one, even with a 15% voucher it was £85!

Not a good day today :-(

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk