Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Only Fools & Handymen...

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
BigWallop wrote:
SNIP

Brace yourself Rodney !!!!! ROFL. :-)

A lot of people ask why we pay for liability insurance. Here's why.
I was in a mansion house (a very old and very expensive family seat,
mansion house), and I set fire to a rug with the sparks from an angle
grinder.

Indeed. £2 million for about £15 a month, its a no brainer. I only have
the £2 mill because of the Fair Trader scheme, its a requirement. I started
with £1 million for about £9 a month, well worth it.

Who do you use ?

My small business insurance is up for renewal in a couple of weeks

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
BigWallop wrote:
SNIP

Brace yourself Rodney !!!!! ROFL. :-)

A lot of people ask why we pay for liability insurance. Here's why.
I was in a mansion house (a very old and very expensive family seat,
mansion house), and I set fire to a rug with the sparks from an angle
grinder.

Indeed. £2 million for about £15 a month, its a no brainer. I only have
the £2 mill because of the Fair Trader scheme, its a requirement. I

started
with £1 million for about £9 a month, well worth it.

Who do you use ?

My small business insurance is up for renewal in a couple of weeks

geoff

I would recommend the cheapest with the best cover policy. They change
mostly by the day, so grab one while it's cheap. The AA have good cover for
established businesses, which gives an all in one cover for employees,
tools, vehicles and liability. It's worth having a talk with them to begin
with.

What I have noticed, is that some insurers will charge quite a bit more on
policies that are monthly payment, so, if you can afford to pay the policy
in full, the price will be reduced by a good margin. Also, most insurers
will give an optional excess reduction on all policies. If you can pay out
of pocket up to £1,000, then the policy will reduce by a good lots.

We have an excess of £3,000 on our liability, and the cost of the policy
came down from £2,060 per month, to £1,125 per month. But the first
liability cover we bought was almost £5,000 because we were a young company
with only a couple of years worth of contract work under our belts. So the
cover will reduce with no-claims bonuses over the years.

Shop about for the best one, and read the small print and excess agreement
arrangement before choosing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appollo wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Anyone remember that wonderful episode of Only Fools & Horses with
the chandelier?

I'm amazed you have ANY customers by letting everyone know what a poor
workman
you are. I certainly wouldn't employ a cowboy such as yourself!

Why? He reflects wryly on his mistakes, he clears the damage and pays the
costs. I'd love to be within service range of Dave's van.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , BigWallop
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
BigWallop wrote:
[...]

Well, yes

I'm getting quotes in - I'm just interested to see who other people are
using, just in case I get a nice surprise

I'm paying just over £1000 atm with 5 employees

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , BigWallop
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
BigWallop wrote:
[...]

What cover do you have for that cost?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , BigWallop
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , BigWallop
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
BigWallop wrote:
[...]

I'll bring the policy home tomorrow

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
BigWallop wrote:

snipped
any other alternative.

Indeed. Shortly after I moved here, my next door neighbour..well half a
mile away, nearly burnt to the ground. It was a thousand year old manor
house being restored, and no one is clear on exactly what happened, but
plumbing work was going on at the time. Whether something was left
smoldering, or electrical work was damaged, I don't recall.

But there was a huge tussle between the house insurers and the liability
insurers of the contractors.

I nearly burnt down the North Vietnamese embassy, in London once.

It was emty, except for some pretty high class squatters, who held a

party.
It had underfloor warm air heating installed, and grids along the
beautiful wooden floor edges. And I dropped a cigarette down one..

Only my quick thinking and a can of Newcastle Brown saved this valuable
building from destruction ;-)

It wasn't the consumption of too many Newkie Brews, that caused you to drop
the ciggy in the first place, was it? :-)

ER..this was in the early 70's in a SQUAT party.

Work it out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
BigWallop wrote:
SNIP

Brace yourself Rodney !!!!! ROFL. :-)

A lot of people ask why we pay for liability insurance. Here's why.
I was in a mansion house (a very old and very expensive family seat,
mansion house), and I set fire to a rug with the sparks from an
angle grinder.

Indeed. £2 million for about £15 a month, its a no brainer. I only
have the £2 mill because of the Fair Trader scheme, its a
requirement. I started with £1 million for about £9 a month, well
worth it.

Who do you use ?

My small business insurance is up for renewal in a couple of weeks

CETA of Chipping Norton, via Insure My Liability.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Well, yes

I'm getting quotes in - I'm just interested to see who other people
are using, just in case I get a nice surprise

I'm paying just over £1000 atm with 5 employees

Mine only covers me obviously, that might explain the lower premiums.

I Googled to find the best deal.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk