Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Baxi Barcelona .. unreliable

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 01:05:19 +0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

When I built my place, I installed Under floor Heating throughout
(brilliant - would highly recc) ....... it was up to me to supply own
boiler, though they recommended Baxi Barcelona - fully modulating burner
worked well with their control system.

The boiler just blew it's 3rd logic board (at £130 a pop)... first when
in warranty, the other 2 outside warranty. Some suppliers won't even
sell you the part unless Corgi regtd.

This time board has been changed, and a new wiring harness came with it,
so fair bit of rewiring of boiler.

I contacted Baxi ... asked if there are any know problems on Baxi
Barcelona ... response was no problems.

I then asked if 3 logic boards in 5 years is acceptable, and what is
their MTBF for these boards ... to be told that information is not
available.

Apart from board failures, everything else runs a treat it's very fast
to heat up, fairly quiet and compact.

Anybody else any issues with this model boiler. ?

A little goggling will show you how much I appreciate these boilers.
I think my quote was something like "they would win a competition for the
poorest boiler ever made in both the design and reliability categories".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

A little goggling will show you how much I appreciate these boilers.
I think my quote was something like "they would win a competition for the
poorest boiler ever made in both the design and reliability categories".

Isn't it possible for a third party to engineer a replacement controller
using open source software development? - or is there a Gas law against
such an idea?

(sorry if its been bought up before)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
Ed Sirett wrote:

A little goggling will show you how much I appreciate these boilers.
I think my quote was something like "they would win a competition for
the poorest boiler ever made in both the design and reliability
categories".

Isn't it possible for a third party to engineer a replacement
controller using open source software development? - or is there a Gas
law against such an idea?

Often thought about it, but the (e.g. insurance) implications, if there
were a problem are significant. Where there's a processor involved, you
can have secondary functions which might not be obvious without having
access to the software You would also prolly have to put up with a court
case brought about by Baxi,
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Ed Sirett wrote:

A little goggling will show you how much I appreciate these boilers. I
think my quote was something like "they would win a competition for the
poorest boiler ever made in both the design and reliability categories".

Isn't it possible for a third party to engineer a replacement controller
using open source software development? - or is there a Gas law against
such an idea?

(sorry if its been bought up before)

Many boilers are just kits, using generic parts. Vaillant, Glow Worm,
Broag, Raventheat, Heatline, BIASI, Baxi, etc, etc, use the Giannoni heat
exchanger. Many use Grundfos or Wilo pumps, Dung Gas valves, Honeywell
3-way valves, Honeywell hydro assembly, etc. Parts are interchangeable. Go
to HRPC and the makers state the Honeywell type and part No, so they just
take one off the shelf.

Anyone can make one of these kits up (Ravenheat started making kit boilers),
except in one crucial part, the pcb. Yet I see no reason why a generic pcb
can't be made, Maxie may put us right in knowing some differing makers
using the same pcbs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

I read years ago, when they were talking about the OpenTherm protocol and
what functionality it should contain, about a generic pcb, with the same
sockets and plugs on the pcbs and colour coded etc. It was just wishful
thinking at the time. I don't think anything came of it. It would have
meant the user could just slide in a new pcb if one burnt out - a true DIY
job. The pcb was to have diagnostics and would indicate when parts of it
were kaput and needed changing. Then third party companies could make them
and keep prices down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Doctor Drivel wrote:
snip

Many boilers are just kits, using generic parts. Vaillant, Glow Worm,
Broag, Raventheat, Heatline, BIASI, Baxi, etc, etc, use the Giannoni
heat exchanger. Many use Grundfos or Wilo pumps, Dung Gas valves,

snip

On biogas models, I assume...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
A little goggling will show you how much I appreciate these boilers.
I think my quote was something like "they would win a competition for the
poorest boiler ever made in both the design and reliability categories".

Yup. My brother's one broke down at least twice a year - and he certainly
got his money's worth out of his gas board service contract. Final straw
was the heat exchanger started leaking - on a boiler only four years old
or so. Even although repairs were 'free' the system was down for several
days each time while they tried to repair it - waiting for parts etc - so
he finally replaced it.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
Isn't it possible for a third party to engineer a replacement controller
using open source software development? - or is there a Gas law against
such an idea?

(sorry if its been bought up before)

Whoops... err... I did in Feb 2007 after the Potterton lockout problems
reported back then on BBC's Watchdog programme.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5dou8b

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:43:46 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

There are off the shelf controllers for more basic boilers and fires.
Pactrol is a typical 3rd party "sequencers" used by a number of smaller
manufactruers.

However building your own boiler is such a non-starter so I won't even
start on that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

My point is that generic parts makes matters cheaper and parts freely
available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
My point is that generic parts makes matters cheaper and parts freely
available.

Which would need legislation to enforce. And of course that legislation
deciding on which design etc was to be used.
A committee would sit and ponder, take advice from all sides, and end up
choosing a camel...

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
My point is that generic parts makes matters cheaper and parts freely
available.

Which

Please eff off you are retarted plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
My point is that generic parts makes matters cheaper and parts freely
available.

Which would need legislation to enforce. And of course that
legislation deciding on which design etc was to be used.
A committee would sit and ponder, take advice from all sides, and end
up choosing a camel...

It works pretty well for PC's. They're modular, interchangeable, and
component prices are very good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
My point is that generic parts makes matters cheaper and parts freely
available.

Which would need legislation to enforce. And of course that
legislation deciding on which design etc was to be used.
A committee would sit and ponder, take advice from all sides, and end
up choosing a camel...

It works pretty well for PC's. They're modular, interchangeable, and
component prices are very good.

PCs - hardly known for containing potentially explosive gas mixtures

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
My point is that generic parts makes matters cheaper and parts freely
available.

Which would need legislation to enforce. And of course that
legislation deciding on which design etc was to be used.
A committee would sit and ponder, take advice from all sides, and end
up choosing a camel...

It works pretty well for PC's. They're modular, interchangeable, and
component prices are very good.

Last time I looked you had to buy the correct motherboard for the
processor. And there are how many different processors? Sure you can buy
different makes of PCI etc boards and power supplies may be
interchangeable to some extent. But then the same might apply to some
boiler parts like pumps etc.

But PCs are made by the million for world wide sales. Boilers not.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Steve Walker
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
My point is that generic parts makes matters cheaper and parts freely
available.

Which would need legislation to enforce. And of course that
legislation deciding on which design etc was to be used.
A committee would sit and ponder, take advice from all sides, and end
up choosing a camel...

It works pretty well for PC's. They're modular, interchangeable, and
component prices are very good.

PCs - hardly known for containing potentially explosive gas mixtures

Gas valves contain that mixture too and they are generic. Maxie, there is
no reason why a generic pcb can't be made. OpenTherem control is pointing
that way. Changing a pcb could be no different to changing a light bulb.