Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Baxi Barcelona .. unreliable

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 01:05:19 -0000, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

Some suppliers won't even sell you the part unless Corgi regtd.

you might care to try http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp

Geoff, whose Company it is, has been a regular inhabitant here for
years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some suppliers won't even sell you the part unless Corgi regtd.

you might care to try http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp

Geoff, whose Company it is, has been a regular inhabitant here for
years.

Yep. I think Maxie does recon the Barcelona pcb too. He may know the prime
fault with these.

The Barcelona was a dog and all mechanical problems are basically put right.
It was rebadged the Potterton Promax.

Read is an article at http://www.acv-uk.com/images/pdfs/HPM-October2003.pdf
which mentions the Potterton Promax which is based upon the Barcelona and
the problems.

Some references out to the teething problems the Barcelona has faced and a
response by Alec Scott the marketing manager of Baxi.

Looks like Baxi has had supplier problems with the manufacture of their
pcbs's and would explain the poor life. Is this latest pcb failure an old
version pcb?

"What Baxi Potterton says...

Hugh's right; Promax retains the core technology pioneered in the Barcelona.
For the very good reason that it's still cutting edge. But we did take our
PCB supplier to task over quality; with the result, as he states, that the
problems have (long since) been totally eradicated.

Every Promax is subjected to full electrical, gas and hydraulic testing.
Checking flow switch continuity precisely per the fault finding section
would have revealed the loose connection at the PCB; not evidence of 'wet
testing only' but rather of some post test disturbance. Provided the ACV's
controls do not interrupt the switched live to the boiler, removing jumper 2
from the PCB, per instructions covering compatibility with
thermal stores, would enable Promax to deliver its full 32.6kW potential.
Finally, a quick check with our supplier (Altecnic!) brought confirmation
that our choice of expansion vessel is sufficient for the boiler's maximum
output. Over to Hugh?" - Alec Scott, Market Manager"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Some suppliers won't even sell you the part unless Corgi regtd.

you might care to try http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp

Geoff, whose Company it is, has been a regular inhabitant here for
years.

Yep. I think Maxie does recon the Barcelona pcb too. He may know the prime
fault with these.

The Barcelona was a dog and all mechanical problems are basically put right.
It was rebadged the Potterton Promax.

Read is an article at http://www.acv-uk.com/images/pdfs/HPM-October2003.pdf
in Oct 2003, which mentions the Potterton Promax which is based upon the
Barcelona and the problems.

Some references out to the teething problems the Barcelona has faced and a
response by Alec Scott the marketing manager of Baxi.

Looks like Baxi has had supplier problems with the manufacture of their
pcbs's and would explain the poor life. Is this latest pcb failure an old
version pcb? Or is the Baxi man BSing and all are still bad?

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

Some suppliers won't even sell you the part unless Corgi regtd.

you might care to try http://www.cetltd.com/default.asp

Geoff, whose Company it is, has been a regular inhabitant here for
years.

Yup, I used to get a lot of these coming in. Not so many now, they've
prolly mostly ended up on the scrap heap

ISTR that one winter they actually ran out of pcbs - there were none in
the country

but, sadly to say, not the worst around

--
geoff