Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting Adjoining Walls in Different Colours

I'm presently painting the walls in my hall .There is a dado rail
right round and The dado and door surrounds and skirting is a green
eggshell. Below the dado is lining paper in Matt emulsion in a pale
green .Above the dado is white matt emulsion .The doors will probably
be white eggshell as well.

I was toying with the idea of painting the upper part of the wall that
faces you as you come in the outside door the same colour as the rest
is below ...just to break things up a bit .

I did something similar in a bedroom but I seem to remember getting
the join right was a bit of a nightmare .
Any tips for getting the 2 joins straight?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any tips for getting the 2 joins straight?

Masking tape.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:41:11 +0000, fictitiousemail wrote:

I'm presently painting the walls in my hall .There is a dado rail
right round and The dado and door surrounds and skirting is a green
eggshell. Below the dado is lining paper in Matt emulsion in a pale
green .Above the dado is white matt emulsion .The doors will probably
be white eggshell as well.

I was toying with the idea of painting the upper part of the wall that
faces you as you come in the outside door the same colour as the rest
is below ...just to break things up a bit .

I did something similar in a bedroom but I seem to remember getting
the join right was a bit of a nightmare .
Any tips for getting the 2 joins straight?

You can get a roller with a built-in edging tool to produce straight
lines. I can't find a source (and it's too wet and windy to go searching
in the shed) so you'll have to look in the usual sheds and possibly places
on TV like QVC.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Nov, 18:41, wrote:
I'm presently painting the walls in my hall .There is a dado rail
right round and The dado and door surrounds and skirting is a green
eggshell. Below the dado is lining paper in Matt emulsion in a pale
green .Above the dado is white matt emulsion .The doors will probably
be white eggshell as well.

I was toying with the idea of painting the upper part of the wall that
faces you as you come in the outside door the same colour as the rest
is below ...just to break things up a bit .

I did something similar in a bedroom but I seem to remember getting
the join right was a bit of a nightmare .
Any tips for getting the 2 joins straight?

I've got differing colours on adjoining walls in one room and did it
by hand - as you say "mechanical" devices are set up for straight
edges and perfection.
I used a smaller brush than for the rest of the walls, but apart from
that you should find it works fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:19:37 GMT
Cicero wrote:
====
You can get a roller with a built-in edging tool to produce straight
lines. I can't find a source (and it's too wet and windy to go searching
in the shed) so you'll have to look in the usual sheds and possibly places
on TV like QVC.

Cic.

I have one, it's useless. Whatever you do paint gets in the wrong
place and ruins things. Freehand with a soft brush upto a masked line
of the first colour is best. (IMO)

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I'm presently painting the walls in my hall .There is a dado rail
right round and The dado and door surrounds and skirting is a green
eggshell. Below the dado is lining paper in Matt emulsion in a pale
green .Above the dado is white matt emulsion .The doors will probably
be white eggshell as well.

I was toying with the idea of painting the upper part of the wall that
faces you as you come in the outside door the same colour as the rest
is below ...just to break things up a bit .

I did something similar in a bedroom but I seem to remember getting
the join right was a bit of a nightmare .
Any tips for getting the 2 joins straight?

Cut a plastic bottle into a square, by taking the top and bottom off and
cutting right through. Open it flat and use it as a straight edge. Slide
the brush and plastic sheet together down / up the corner and it stops the
paint from going where you don't want it to. It's also easy to wash the
emulsion paint off it and use again.

Oh, and it's a very cheap form of paint masking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

IME it's bloody impossible without planting a bead or something in the
corner. If nothing's straight you have to introduce something that is.

Anyway, multi coloured rooms remind me of the 50s and "making do". If
only one wall needed painting, that's all you did.

Painting walls - how to smooth? mo UK diy 7 February 19th 08 10:56 PM
Preparing walls for painting Wordy UK diy 3 November 1st 06 02:43 PM
Painting Walls Andrew UK diy 4 September 12th 05 10:30 PM
Painting outside walls-Help? - UK diy 11 October 24th 03 09:12 PM
Painting walls. Help Charles Holder UK diy 1 October 23rd 03 06:49 AM