Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ISE washing machines

The message
from Huge contains these words:

On 2008-11-25, Appin wrote:

With nine kids we've only had three washing machines

Nine kids? I think you'd have been better off buying a TV. )

What -- and miss out on all the fun ? :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 11:19 am, Rod wrote:

And by the time you have paid for a Corgi-registered person (of suitable
type) to disconnect old cooker and fit new one (and the additional work
they find needs doing), it will probably cost at least 464 pounds now... :-)

You don't need a Corgi-registered person to unplug a bayonet fitting,
and plug in a new one - that's the one piece of gas work that I /do/
regard myself as competent on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov 2008 20:16:44 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:
ISTM that the initial cost of most white goods have come down a long long
way over the last 25 years.

Bottom-of-the-range cooker, 1984: 200 pounds (Which magazine)
Bottom-of-the-range cooker, 2004: 200 pounds (Argos catalogue)

Features were roughly similar.

In 1984 you could buy a bottom range electric cooker for a hundred
quid less a penny in Comet. Cheapest in Currys today £149.99
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:19 am, Rod wrote:
And by the time you have paid for a Corgi-registered person (of suitable
type) to disconnect old cooker and fit new one (and the additional work
they find needs doing), it will probably cost at least 464 pounds now... :-)

You don't need a Corgi-registered person to unplug a bayonet fitting,
and plug in a new one - that's the one piece of gas work that I /do/
regard myself as competent on.

It was followed by a smiley. :-)

I think that a new (or even secondhand) cooker should be installed by a
competent person. That is, it is not expected that users will be
competent (though some may well be, and more likely here than most places).

There are issues of complying with ventilation requirements, checking
that the cooker works OK, and so on which are non-trivial.

Undoing and re-doing a bayonet for cleaning purposes is not the same as
installing afresh.

If anyone thinks I am wrong, do let me know. It has been known.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 07:23:41 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner
wrote:

On Nov 27, 11:19 am, Rod wrote:

And by the time you have paid for a Corgi-registered person (of suitable
type) to disconnect old cooker and fit new one (and the additional work
they find needs doing), it will probably cost at least 464 pounds now... :-)

You don't need a Corgi-registered person to unplug a bayonet fitting,
and plug in a new one - that's the one piece of gas work that I /do/
regard myself as competent on.

In the 50s my mother used to take a big spanner and uncouple the gas
pipe from the cooker so she ould drag it out to clean behind it. After
cleaning she would ease the cooker back into position and tighten up
the gland nut. Used to do that a couple of times a year. She didn't
like corgis either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:42:11 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:19 am, Rod wrote:
[...]

Yes you're wrong. We managed quite well for a hundred years or so
connecting our own gas appliances
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:19 am, Rod wrote:
[...]

But a hundred years backwards is not really very relevant for now and
forwards. Whatever you or I think about the rules/laws, I remain
convinced that competence is required by them for installing a new
cooker. (With the usual big question over how that competence is defined.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:19 am, Rod wrote:
[...]

If it worked for a hundred years or more there is no reason to change
it.

Whatever you or I think about the rules/laws, I remain
convinced that competence is required by them for installing a new
cooker. (With the usual big question over how that competence is defined.)

Some people cannot tie their own shoelaces. Most people can.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Martin Bonner wrote:
On Nov 27, 11:19 am, Rod wrote:
[...]

You are (as always with this argument) both right. The fact that we have
done it perfectly well for a hundred years may be very relevant to safety
but has nothing whatsoever to do with the law and is completely irrelevant
to Rod's point. Any work on gas appliances is required to be done by a
"competent" person (who may or may not actually be competent). An easy way
to ensure "competence" in the eyes of the law is to be CORGI registered.
Proving "competency" otherwise is tricky. The likelihoood of having to prove
"competence" is very low however, if you are actually competent IYSWIM.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Washing Machines elziko UK diy 15 September 12th 06 09:13 AM
Washing machines that are built like commercial machines? Ignoramus22440 Metalworking 50 May 8th 06 05:38 AM
Washing machines that are built like commercial machines? Ignoramus22440 Home Repair 38 May 8th 06 05:38 AM
Washing machines MG UK diy 3 September 22nd 05 05:00 PM
Two washing machines Mark Hewitt UK diy 14 February 4th 05 12:44 AM