Mark Hewitt

Default Two washing machines

Not that er-indoors would like the idea.. but since our dryer has broken we
now have a space where we could put a second washing machine if we wanted.

It's a slightly complex issue to do with dust allergies but suffice to say I
do a *lot* of washing and so having two machines would be a great advantage.

My question is, it is possible or practical to have two machines side by
side? Can they be somehow both be fed of the same hot and cold water feed?
How would the drainage be arranged? I know that our water system wouldn't be
able to cope with both machines running at once but our existing one has a
delay start function so one could be set to start just after the other
finishes.

nightjar

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message
Not that er-indoors would like the idea.. but since our dryer has broken
we now have a space where we could put a second washing machine if we
wanted.

It's a slightly complex issue to do with dust allergies but suffice to say
I do a *lot* of washing and so having two machines would be a great
advantage.

My question is, it is possible or practical to have two machines side by
side? Can they be somehow both be fed of the same hot and cold water feed?
How would the drainage be arranged? I know that our water system wouldn't
be able to cope with both machines running at once but our existing one
has a delay start function so one could be set to start just after the
other finishes.

Why not simply get a bigger washing machine? My LG washing machine fits in
the same space as the previous machine, but takes about twice the load.

Otherwise, it is a fairly simple bit of plumbing to add extra taps to run a
second machine and, if you are not running both at once, you can use the
same drain upstand. Mind you, unless you are running the machines at night,
to use off-peak electricity, I don't see the advantage of running one
machine at a time, as compared to unloading one and running it a second
time.

Colin Bignell

Mark Hewitt

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message

Why not simply get a bigger washing machine? My LG washing machine fits in
the same space as the previous machine, but takes about twice the load.

Well that's certainly an option, but then maybe I can get an LG washing
machine and have twice the load plus the existing load )

Otherwise, it is a fairly simple bit of plumbing to add extra taps to run
a second machine and, if you are not running both at once, you can use the
same drain upstand. Mind you, unless you are running the machines at
night, to use off-peak electricity, I don't see the advantage of running
one machine at a time, as compared to unloading one and running it a
second time.

It's not about off peak electricity. It's bascially about being able to load
the machines up, go off to work, or off to bed, and then get then washing
out later. If I was around all the time to put washing in and out then it
wouldn't really be an issue.

Mark Hewitt wrote:

now have a space where we could put a second washing machine if we

wanted.

My question is, it is possible or practical to have two machines side

by
side?

of course.

Can they be somehow both be fed of the same hot and cold water feed?

of course. Get a Y piece (screwfix 40p) and a 2nd washing machine hose
so you can supply both machines off one supply point. Repeat for the
hot supply if the machines use hot as well.

How would the drainage be arranged?

What do you think?

I know that our water system wouldn't be
able to cope with both machines running at once

how do you know that? I cant think of any way that could be true.
Is this for real? I guess it is

NT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark Hewitt wrote:
My question is, it is possible or practical to have two machines side by
side? Can they be somehow both be fed of the same hot and cold water
feed? How would the drainage be arranged?

The normal kitchen drain plumbing should cope with two washing machine
wastes given that it will cope with a washing machine, dishwasher and sink
all draining at once. Although this should be uncommon anyway.

I know that our water system
wouldn't be able to cope with both machines running at once but our
existing one has a delay start function so one could be set to start
just after the other finishes.

Well, modern machines are usually cold fill, and if your supply couldn't
deliver enough to fill them at full speed, they'd simply wait until it
reached the correct level.

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mark Hewitt

wrote in message
oups.com...

how do you know that? I cant think of any way that could be true.
Is this for real? I guess it is

All I know is that I can't fill my bath so quickly when the washing machine
is on.. but maybe it would be fine. I don't know :-)

Doctor Evil

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message
Not that er-indoors would like the idea.. but since our dryer has broken

we
now have a space where we could put a second washing machine if we wanted.

It's a slightly complex issue to do with dust allergies but suffice to say

do a *lot* of washing and so having two machines would be a great

advantage.

My question is, it is possible or practical to have two machines side by
side? Can they be somehow both be fed of the same hot and cold water feed?
How would the drainage be arranged? I know that our water system wouldn't

be
able to cope with both machines running at once but our existing one has a
delay start function so one could be set to start just after the other
finishes.

Two machines is better as you have redundancy and the wash is done quicker
as two machines can do two differing coloured loads.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Two machines is better as you have redundancy and the wash is done
quicker as two machines can do two differing coloured loads.

Fed, of course, by two combis.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Two machines is better as you have redundancy and the wash is done
quicker as two machines can do two differing coloured loads.

Fed, of course, by two combis.

Good thinking at last. How many years has it taken for you to come up with a
good idea?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
John Rumm

Mark Hewitt wrote:

All I know is that I can't fill my bath so quickly when the washing machine
is on.. but maybe it would be fine. I don't know :-)

It would work fine, even if it took longer to fill with both going at once.

--
Cheers,

John.

dmc

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The normal kitchen drain plumbing should cope with two washing machine
wastes given that it will cope with a washing machine, dishwasher and sink
all draining at once. Although this should be uncommon anyway.

Funny you should say this...

I discovered yesterday that when our washing machine pumps out at the same
time as the dishwasher *and* I have a tap running it overflows the standpipe
from the washing machine :-(

Current setup is 2 washing machine traps - one for each of the appliances
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...37821&id=18640 ) and then
a normal trap under the sink. The drain then runs through the wall and into
the concrete slab under the conservatory :-(

Its a bit sludged up but nothing major - certainly nothing suggesting
that it is seriously bunged up anywhere so I can only assume that our
new(ish) Miele washing machine and dishwasher has a much more powerful
pump than the knackered hoover models that they replaced...

Suggestions? Would a couple of self cutting washing machine thingys
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...37176&id=11879 ) help
by restricting the output from the machine maybe? Or are they not
restrictive at all (never actually seen one to examine...)

I guess it must be time for us to have another Caustic Soda thread so
maybe I'll try some of that

Darren

Lurch

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 09:46:22 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
strung together this:

The normal kitchen drain plumbing should cope with two washing machine
wastes given that it will cope with a washing machine, dishwasher and sink
all draining at once. Although this should be uncommon anyway.

Well, probably not. For 2 large volume appliances such as washing
machines and dishwashers etc... you really want 2" wastes in all the
common runs otherwise you can end up with a wet floor if both machines
pump out at once. Most reasonably installed wastes will be 1.5" and
could even be 1.25" depending on how [un]well it was installed.
--

SJW
Bob Eager

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:49:48 UTC, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

how do you know that? I cant think of any way that could be true.
Is this for real? I guess it is

All I know is that I can't fill my bath so quickly when the washing machine
is on.. but maybe it would be fine. I don't know :-)

I guess if they both demanded water at once, they'd fill a bit slower -
who cares?

If they both wanted to heat water at the same time...is the power wiring
up to it? Probably yes, if you have a tumble dryer that WON'T be
running, but not a very good way to leave it....

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
The normal kitchen drain plumbing should cope with two washing machine
wastes given that it will cope with a washing machine, dishwasher and
sink all draining at once. Although this should be uncommon anyway.

Well, probably not. For 2 large volume appliances such as washing
machines and dishwashers etc... you really want 2" wastes in all the
common runs otherwise you can end up with a wet floor if both machines
pump out at once. Most reasonably installed wastes will be 1.5" and
could even be 1.25" depending on how [un]well it was installed.

I've not got problems with mine, but of course it will depend on the
output delivery of the machines. Or is there a standard?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Lurch

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 23:45:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
strung together this:

The normal kitchen drain plumbing should cope with two washing machine
wastes given that it will cope with a washing machine, dishwasher and
sink all draining at once. Although this should be uncommon anyway.

Well, probably not. For 2 large volume appliances such as washing
machines and dishwashers etc... you really want 2" wastes in all the
common runs otherwise you can end up with a wet floor if both machines
pump out at once. Most reasonably installed wastes will be 1.5" and
could even be 1.25" depending on how [un]well it was installed.

I've not got problems with mine, but of course it will depend on the
output delivery of the machines. Or is there a standard?

Although I haven't read the various byelaws and wot-not first hand as
I'm not a plumber by trade that's what I've always done as my Dad,
(who is a CORGI registered plumbing and heating engineer of some 30
odd years), fed me the information a couple of years ago. It always
seemed to make sense to me so that's what I did.

As a rule of thumb anything high output shouldn't really have much
more than itself and one other 'normal' waste connected to it if
you're doing the job properly. As you say, it depends on the exact
application. I suppose it's along the same lines as the current
1.5mm\2.5mm for ring circuits debate.
--

SJW