Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating oil

What is the current price that people are getting?
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:16:51 -0000, Donwill wrote:

What is the current price that people are getting?

Well the price of crude is now about $45/barrel, in Dec 07/Jan 08 it was
about $70 and was fairly stable in price, I paid 40.59p/l on 21 Dec 07. So
in theory it should now be well below 40p/l.

An online quote site that I have been checking fairly often recently,
partly cause the crude price is falling so quickly and we are going to
need to order very soon, has just given me 37.13p/l for 2000l. 6th Nov was
43.08, 16th 39.26. I can normally beat that by 2p/l for our local
supplier.

Once the crude prices of $45 have filtered through in the next few weeks
I'd expect to see sub 30p/l, not seen that since before Jul 2005. It'll
get cheaper still if the crude price continues to fall. Crude price has
been in a fairly linear slide since the $147 peak in early July:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f...ta/commodities
/28696/twelve_month.stm

Think I saw reference to a meeting of OPEC before the end of the month
where it is expected they will cut production to maintain the price but
that didn't work last month, this time? Or not? If you don't need to buy
now I'd hold on as the price is falling, but keep an eye on the price of
crude and if it starts to rise or stabilises...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
[...]

I wonder how long it will last? In previous house I had an oil boiler and
enjoyed buying oil at it's lowest, a full 700gall tank gave one a warm glow
even before switching the boiler on, It was like having a shed full of logs
before winter.
Now I am on mains gas and subjected to the uncertainties that come with it,
to give me some flexibility I am contemplating installing an oil boiler in
parallell with existing gas boiler so to speak.?
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:44:43 -0000, Donwill wrote:

Now I am on mains gas and subjected to the uncertainties that come with
it,

At least mains gas doesn't change price on an almost daily basis! Oil is
very volatile, my last prices have been 32.98, 33.62 28.12 30.25 40.59
48.85 and 36.2 (today). That's about 450 quid difference from cheapest
(Jan 07) to dearest (Apr 08) on 2000l. That's a lot when you buy 2000l
twice/year...

to give me some flexibility I am contemplating installing an oil boiler
in parallell with existing gas boiler so to speak.?

I wonder if oil is now cheaper than gas, 36.2p/l is about 3.6p/unit, what
is the price of gas these days?

--
Cheers
Dave.