Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wickes dimmer can be used on fluorescents?

This can't be right, can it?

"10 amp rated-suitable for fluorescent lighting"

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Shelving+Sto...ay/invt/711325

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
This can't be right, can it?

"10 amp rated-suitable for fluorescent lighting"

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Shelving+Sto...ay/invt/711325

If the ballast is dimmable. Most arent tho.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
brass monkey wrote:
This can't be right, can it?

"10 amp rated-suitable for fluorescent lighting"

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Shelving+Sto...ay/invt/711325

If the ballast is dimmable. Most arent tho.

NT

I get the feeling that 10 amps of fluorescent lighting would certainly
need some dimming!

Surely should read ONE-point-ZERO amps, n'est pas?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"brass monkey" writes:
This can't be right, can it?

"10 amp rated-suitable for fluorescent lighting"

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Shelving+Sto...ay/invt/711325

No, it's probably a cut-n-paste error from a switch description.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"brass monkey" writes:
This can't be right, can it?

"10 amp rated-suitable for fluorescent lighting"

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Shelving+Sto...ay/invt/711325

No, it's probably a cut-n-paste error from a switch description.

Wickes are well known (by me anyway) for inccurate descriptions. Taptool "
suitable for backnuts & compression nuts" - it isn't. "Chisels "honed &
ready for use" - they aren't.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"brass monkey" writes:
This can't be right, can it?

"10 amp rated-suitable for fluorescent lighting"

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Shelving+Sto...ay/invt/711325

No, it's probably a cut-n-paste error from a switch description.

Wickes are well known (by me anyway) for inccurate descriptions. Taptool "
suitable for backnuts & compression nuts" - it isn't. "Chisels "honed &
ready for use" - they aren't.

and more seriously WBP, which isnt remotely WBP

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"brass monkey" writes:
This can't be right, can it?

"10 amp rated-suitable for fluorescent lighting"

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Shelving+Sto...ay/invt/711325

No, it's probably a cut-n-paste error from a switch description.

Wickes are well known (by me anyway) for inccurate descriptions.
Taptool " suitable for backnuts & compression nuts" - it isn't.
"Chisels "honed & ready for use" - they aren't.

and more seriously WBP, which isnt remotely WBP

Ah yes that as well!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
brass monkey wrote:
This can't be right, can it?

"10 amp rated-suitable for fluorescent lighting"

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Shelving+Sto...ay/invt/711325

If the ballast is dimmable. Most arent tho.

NT

Please tell us about dimmable ballasts.
Any websites?

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" writes:

Please tell us about dimmable ballasts.
Any websites?

There are plenty of dimmable electronic ballasts. They don't use
conventional filament lamp dimmers though.

Simplest is the type which use a 0-10V DC control voltage, and
most ballasts produce a low current 10V supply so you can do
this with just a simple low power potentiometer if you're just
controlling the one ballast, although you'll need a separate
10V supply if you're ganging several ballasts to dim together.
This method is now regarded as out of date.

There are also DSI and DALI digital interfaces which use a low
voltage serial digital signalling interface between a controller
and the ballasts.

Some ballasts support multiple methods, e.g. DSI and simple
push-button up/down dimming.

I don't know of a supplier. I have used Burnlite, but they now
say they won't supply the public anymore (although I haven't
actually tried since then). Of course a recession in the building
trade might change their minds. Make sure you're sitting down
when you get the prices -- dimming ballasts are pretty much only
used in top-end expensive commercial installations, and are not
price sensitive commodity items.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Please tell us about dimmable ballasts.

I've got Osram ones in the kitchen under the cupboards lighting the
worktops. Had them for several years now, without a tube failure which
seems excellent considering their use - they tend to get left on as a
'there's someone at home' light when I go out. Near enough instant start,
no flicker and cool running.
However, they don't use a conventional dimmer - they use low voltage DC
as a control so all you need is a simple potentiometer. Which would mean
extra wiring if you want the dimmer where the room light switch is.

Any websites?

http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=499

They are quite expensive compared to 'ordinary' ballasts - but the higher
efficiency and longer tube life might well pay off after a while,
especially if using more expensive colour matching tubes.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Any websites?

http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=499

They are quite expensive compared to 'ordinary' ballasts - but the higher
efficiency and longer tube life might well pay off after a while,
especially if using more expensive colour matching tubes.

I know I also said they're expensive, but those prices
are completely OTT.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=499

They are quite expensive compared to 'ordinary' ballasts - but the
higher efficiency and longer tube life might well pay off after a
while, especially if using more expensive colour matching tubes.

I know I also said they're expensive, but those prices
are completely OTT.

I didn't really look at their prices. I got mine from a mate who runs a
small supplier - excellent for this sort of thing that few ordinary
wholesalers stock.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:
Please tell us about dimmable ballasts.

I've got Osram ones in the kitchen under the cupboards lighting the
worktops. Had them for several years now, without a tube failure which
seems excellent considering their use - they tend to get left on as a
'there's someone at home' light when I go out. Near enough instant start,
no flicker and cool running.
However, they don't use a conventional dimmer - they use low voltage DC
as a control so all you need is a simple potentiometer. Which would mean
extra wiring if you want the dimmer where the room light switch is.

Any websites?

http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=499

Thanks for that.
Again, sorry for the delay in replying.
Sylvain.

They are quite expensive compared to 'ordinary' ballasts - but the higher
efficiency and longer tube life might well pay off after a while,
especially if using more expensive colour matching tubes.

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 19:56, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Shelving+Sto...Dimmer-2-Gang-...

If the ballast is dimmable. Most arent tho.

NT

Please tell us about dimmable ballasts.
Any websites?

Sylvain.