Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where's the thermostat?

My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have a
thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in
thermostat or do I need to fit one externally?

Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sam Farrell wrote:
My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have a
thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in
thermostat or do I need to fit one externally?

Sam

Some systems rely on TRVs on the radiators to control room temperatures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:53:23 +0000, Sam Farrell wrote:

My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have a
thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in
thermostat or do I need to fit one externally?

The LP522 is a heating & hot water programmer timeswitch and doesn't
incorporate a thermostat. He probably has TRVs on each radiator. If not,
it's almost certain that a thermostat can be connected to the boiler.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to uk.d-i-y

et...

Sam Farrell wrote:
My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have

thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in
thermostat or do I need to fit one externally?

Sam

Some systems rely on TRVs on the radiators to control room temperatures.

Can you turn down the heating output on the boiler? I don't think I've ever
seen a boiler without a main thermostat on the front of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:47:33 GMT, mick
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:53:23 +0000, Sam Farrell wrote:

My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have a
thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in
thermostat or do I need to fit one externally?

The LP522 is a heating & hot water programmer timeswitch and doesn't
incorporate a thermostat. He probably has TRVs on each radiator. If not,
it's almost certain that a thermostat can be connected to the boiler.

Sounds like a crap installation and whoever did it didn't understand
what they were doing. It could so easily have been much better.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:53:23 +0000, Sam Farrell wrote:

My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have a
thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in
thermostat or do I need to fit one externally?

The LP522 is a heating & hot water programmer timeswitch and doesn't
incorporate a thermostat. He probably has TRVs on each radiator. If not,
it's almost certain that a thermostat can be connected to the boiler.

Sounds like a crap installation and whoever did it didn't understand
what they were doing. It could so easily have been much better.

Derek

Thermostats are cheap - wireless one is easy to fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:52:29 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

There are no TRV,s in the system . The room just gets so boiling hot
that you have to turn the heating off.

Can you turn down the heating output on the boiler? I don't think I've
ever seen a boiler without a main thermostat on the front of it.

That would work as a rather crude work around until a stat is fitted.
Though I am suprised that there isn't one with no TRV's. No stat and TRVs
everywhere is quite common, it's only recently that building regs changes
have prohibited such installtions.

Fitting a stat is simple particulary if you choose a programable and
wireless model.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:53:23 +0000, Sam Farrell wrote:

My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have a
thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in
thermostat or do I need to fit one externally?

The LP522 is a heating & hot water programmer timeswitch and doesn't
incorporate a thermostat. He probably has TRVs on each radiator. If not,
it's almost certain that a thermostat can be connected to the boiler.

Sounds like a crap installation and whoever did it didn't understand
what they were doing. It could so easily have been much better.

Derek

Thermostats are cheap - wireless one is easy to fit.

And the boiler manual should show you where the connections go
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sam
Farrell writes
My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have a
thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in
thermostat

no, it's purely a programmer

or do I need to fit one externally?

Sam

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Sam Farrell"
saying something like:

My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have a
thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in
thermostat or do I need to fit one externally?

Many cheapskate *******s fitted CH systems with no stats, relying on the
boiler stat to do the work. Horribly wasteful, imo. Easy to update,
though.

Thermostat Steven Home Repair 27 February 16th 07 01:24 PM
Need help with thermostat [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 4th 05 04:59 PM
Help with thermostat? [email protected] Home Repair 10 February 8th 05 05:54 AM
Help with thermostat !! AK UK diy 9 March 26th 04 04:17 PM