Default Help with thermostat?

Hi there, my new house has a thermostat with heat/cold, fan on/auto,
and then normal/emergency heat. Is this a regular thermostat I can pick
up at home depot?

If its important, the house has forced air electric heat with a heat
pump.

I want to change the thermostat as it has no timer, its on or off and
that's it.

Thanks

Dean

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi there, my new house has a thermostat with heat/cold, fan on/auto,
and then normal/emergency heat. Is this a regular thermostat I can pick
up at home depot?

If its important, the house has forced air electric heat with a heat
pump.

I want to change the thermostat as it has no timer, its on or off and
that's it.

You will need to get a heat pump thermostat.

--

SVL

Decency Advocate

ITs a heat pump thermostat and you wont find them at Home DePot. You
could possibly order one thru the Internet, or, buy one from a local
hvac dealer. Ask for a :" Programmable Electronic Heat Pump Thermostat'
..

Ok! Thanks!

Dean

U will be assimilated

UNEDUCATED FUNDY HACK ALERT

Have you been smoking some of "De Pot" at home, Dave?

Travis Jordan

Decency Advocate wrote:
ITs a heat pump thermostat and you wont find them at Home DePot. You
could possibly order one thru the Internet, or, buy one from a local
hvac dealer. Ask for a :" Programmable Electronic Heat Pump
Thermostat' .

Home Depot (where I live, anyway) is now carrying the Honeywell Vision
line's retail model

http://content.honeywell.com/yourhom...ts/RTH8500.asp.

It requires batteries and doesn't have auto changeover. Otherwise, it
is similar to the TH8110.

HTH.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok! Thanks!

Dean

First of all, Decentcy Advocate is Dave, a fool who would love you to
believe he knows what he is talking about.

Second, Home Depot carries the consumer line of Honeywell heat pump
thermostat.

Third, with a heat pump, you do not want a set back, or a programmable style
thermostat. You want to pick a temp, and LEAVE it.

When you turn the heat back, and them back up more than 4F on most stats, 2
on others, you will automatically tell the unit to go into stage 1 and stage
2 heat.....giving up any supposed savings you have thought you had.

Barry

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:11:59 -0500, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Ok! Thanks!

Dean

First of all, Decentcy Advocate is Dave, a fool who would love you to
believe he knows what he is talking about.

Second, Home Depot carries the consumer line of Honeywell heat pump
thermostat.

Third, with a heat pump, you do not want a set back, or a programmable style
thermostat. You want to pick a temp, and LEAVE it.

When you turn the heat back, and them back up more than 4F on most stats, 2
on others, you will automatically tell the unit to go into stage 1 and stage
2 heat.....giving up any supposed savings you have thought you had.

Steve my honeywell digital thermostat has smart recovery. I have
it set at 64 at night and the wake period is 68. Emergency heat never
comes on.

Barry
Steve@carolinabreezehvac

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Depending on the model you have, (notice I said most stats) it will have a
delay that you can program in, and more features that unless you have the
master catalog for repair, you cant, but anyway,if thats the case, you
either have a short recovery time, and the stat never reaches the limit on
time to start the strips, or, you have done like we do, and installed an
outdoor stat that controls the strips..either way, nice to know, but we do
tell everyone that buys a standard, no frills, setback stat, that
information so that they are aware that its possible.
With the outdoor stat, its not an issue unless the temps are below setpoint
anyway.

TURTLE

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

He probley has a outdoor thermostat set to not let the strips come on below a
certain temp. . When I install a heat pump system I will put the outdoor
thermostat set at 30ºF and if it is not under 30ºF Outdoors, it will hold the
heat strips off till it gets below 30ºF and just let the heat pump work on the
load. Now if I go to back up electric strips at thermostat then the outdoor
thermostat will be over riden and let them work. Now the O.D. thermostat setting
can be set anywhere the customer wants it and some customers will want it to go
on down to 20ºF before they will let the strips come in.

Now like you was thinking here. About 3/4 of all heat pumps will have the heat
strips come in at 3ºF less than the set point of the thermostat and burn the
hell out of that electricity by doing so. You should see a electric meter go
into Spin Shock when it is 45ºF in the house and running a 20 KW back up and the
heat pump too and you got it set at 70ºF. I totally believe what you say is very
true but getting this thought over to the public is a very strange task to do. I
guess all the public thinks they have a outdoor thermostat and is not buring the
hell out of that electricity. Now I will say this also, I have just about give
up tring to tell the public what you say for they always have a better electric
bill to show by setting temperature way back on these heat pumps.

TURTLE

PrecisionMachinisT

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I added a enable / disable switch at the air handler--( this is that Lennox
POS, not the Luxaire )....so in the rare event I want to 'allow' a
thermostat or heatpump ( during defrost ) call for auxillary heat to
activate the heat strips, I can always set that switch to the 'enabled'
position....

Actually its a spst switch, and when it's in the 'disabled' position, *any*
call for auxillary heat instead activates a relay that turns on separate
water source heat pump--but that's a different story altogether and I probly
shouldnt elaborate further on it here, being something thats probly beyond
the scope of the vast majority of homeowners.

--

SVL