Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default alternative to lead flashing

Anyone used this :-

http://www.monier.co.uk/index.php?id=532&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=873&cHash=486717f2c0

http://tinyurl.com/6yvg4h

I'm assuming it's different to the self-adhesive bitchumen flashband,
e.g. tougher, better adhesion etc, and the diagrams do show it cut
into the brickwork. As long as it has some give to dress it into
profiled tiles.
I'm wondering if this could be an alternative to lead when I do my
extension roof, since
lead is so expensive now.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 14:26, sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone used this :-

http://www.monier.co.uk/index.php?id=532&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=873&cHash=486717f2c0

http://tinyurl.com/6yvg4h

I'm assuming it's different to the self-adhesive bitchumen flashband,
e.g. tougher, better adhesion etc, and the diagrams do show it cut
into the brickwork. As long as it has some give to dress it into
profiled tiles.
I'm wondering if this could be an alternative to lead when I do my
extension roof, since
lead is so expensive now.

Simon.

PDF for installation he

http://tinyurl.com/67j8w3

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
Anyone used this :-

http://www.monier.co.uk/index.php?id=532&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=873&cHash=486717f2c0

http://tinyurl.com/6yvg4h

I'm assuming it's different to the self-adhesive bitchumen flashband,
e.g. tougher, better adhesion etc, and the diagrams do show it cut
into the brickwork. As long as it has some give to dress it into
profiled tiles.
I'm wondering if this could be an alternative to lead when I do my
extension roof, since
lead is so expensive now.

Simon.

It is becoming popular throughout the trade, so I take it that it does the
job as it should. I haven't seen it used on big jobs, but have seen it used
on repair work and small domestic jobs. But it's like everything. Once you
use it for yourself and get the feel for it, that's when you find out if
it's any good or not. However, having seen the professionals use it, I
would give it a try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not impressed that their other main selling point is *scare* -
oooh deadly, nasty lead.

In your water pipes or in your petrol tank it might not be so great,
but on your roof you don't get a right lot of lead poisoning
happening.

A major factor might be "how inaccessible will the flashing be after
installation" - as low positioned lead is prone to theft - but high
positioned you want the most durable product possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 15:26, " wrote:
I'm not impressed that their other main selling point is *scare* -
oooh deadly, nasty lead.

In your water pipes or in your petrol tank it might not be so great,
but on your roof you don't get a right lot of lead poisoning
happening.

A major factor might be "how inaccessible will the flashing be after
installation" - as low positioned lead is prone to theft - but high
positioned you want the most durable product possible.

There is another brand can't remember name, which is like a crepe'd
aluminium on the surface that can be dressed into curves etc, that may
be more durable. If they are more thermally stable then lead then that
might compensate as far as durability is concerned.

I haven't checked the price of these lead replacements, but what
annoys me often (although good business sense) is when things that are
a lot cheaper to make are priced to be "just" cheaper than the
alternative. Or priced based on time saving - fine for pro's but a
right pain for DIY !

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
sm_jamieson wrote:
Anyone used this :-

http://www.monier.co.uk/index.php?id=532&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=873&cHash=486717f2c0

http://tinyurl.com/6yvg4h

I'm assuming it's different to the self-adhesive bitchumen flashband,
e.g. tougher, better adhesion etc, and the diagrams do show it cut
into the brickwork. As long as it has some give to dress it into
profiled tiles.
I'm wondering if this could be an alternative to lead when I do my
extension roof, since
lead is so expensive now.

The price of scrap lead has collapsed, so I'd expect that to filter
through to new in time.

I love working with lead but haven't tried 'your' stuff. The page you give
puts me off - looks like it was written by dribble. Lead isn't dangerous
to work with or toxic in sheet form - assuming you follow the most basic
of rules. Nor can I imagine any adhesive lasting for the sort of times
that lead does.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

wrote in message
I'm not impressed that their other main selling point is *scare* -
oooh deadly, nasty lead.

In your water pipes or in your petrol tank it might not be so great,
but on your roof you don't get a right lot of lead poisoning
happening.

A major factor might be "how inaccessible will the flashing be after
installation" - as low positioned lead is prone to theft - but high
positioned you want the most durable product possible.

It's worth pointing out that theft of lead from building roofs is often not
covered by insurance, as the 'buildings' cover generally doesn't include
damage by theft, and the 'contents' cover doesn't apply as the theft is from
the outside of the building so there is no forcible entry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I'm not impressed that their other main selling point is *scare* -
oooh deadly, nasty lead.

In your water pipes or in your petrol tank it might not be so great,
but on your roof you don't get a right lot of lead poisoning
happening.

Lead does leach into water, it happens most in soft water like rainwater.

And it is probably true that people who work with lead have more lead in
their systems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:41:55 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

I'm not impressed that their other main selling point is *scare* -
oooh deadly, nasty lead.

Didn't impress me either. Though I think it trying to sell the scare story
to employers and workers rather than the people in the building.

Lead does leach into water, it happens most in soft water like
rainwater.

You store and drink rain water? Lead on the roof is not a toxic hazard to
the occupants.

And it is probably true that people who work with lead have more lead in
their systems.

Quite possibly but significantly different? We've all got far more lead in
our systems these days than the population had 100 years ago. Leaded
petrol has seen to that. Of course I wonder what the effects of working
with a butyl substance and aluminium is? Aluminium has links with
dementia...

Personally I want something that will last as long as the rest of the
roofing material and as that is slate here we are looking for at least 50
years and possibly over 100. I have my doubts that a butly thing will last
that long on the sunny side of the house.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:08:18 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Aluminium has links with dementia...

I think that's been disproved, or never been proven in the first
place. It was apparently just an hypothesis many years ago.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message
I'm not impressed that their other main selling point is *scare* -
oooh deadly, nasty lead.

In your water pipes or in your petrol tank it might not be so great,
but on your roof you don't get a right lot of lead poisoning
happening.

Lead does leach into water, it happens most in soft water like rainwater.

I ripped out some lead water pipe from my parents house in the NE of
Scotland which as very soft water and there was no evidence of the inside
being eroded in any way. And it was some 40 years old at the time.

And it is probably true that people who work with lead have more lead in
their systems.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Lead does leach into water, it happens most in soft water like rainwater.

And it is probably true that people who work with lead have more lead in
their systems.

Nah, ITYF people who do electronic soldering have more lead in their
pencils.

Just call me "Multicore" ;-)

Derek

Alternative to lead flashing ? Grumps UK diy 11 March 6th 08 08:26 AM
Lead flashing Mark UK diy 28 August 22nd 07 11:54 PM
Lead Flashing Vass UK diy 9 June 14th 07 09:17 AM
Lead flashing - what do the codes mean? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 18 October 25th 04 04:25 PM
Lead flashing Dave UK diy 1 June 2nd 04 09:55 PM