Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default victorian window sill - laid across whole thickness of wall?

On Nov 18, 3:20*pm, David wrote:
On Nov 18, 2:49*pm, RobertL wrote:

Googling produces lots of diagrams of sash windows and sills, but
nothing that I could find that answers my question below. *Please can
someone advise me?

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

I need to get a replacement sill from an architectural salvage yard
but I don't want to expose the old one (to measure the depth) until I
am ready to actually do the replacement so I'd like to estimate the
depth I need.

and is it sill or cill?

many thanks,

Robert

The sills in our 1880s victorian terrace house didn't and the sills in
our 1830s house didn't either. *There's no reason for them to do so as
they are there for the window to sit on, not for the interior wooden
sill to sit on. *Contrast this with the hideously weighty full depth
lintels dovetailed into the surrounding masonry, which we were to
scared to move.

Interesting, We are reinstating a sash window which was removed and
bricked up by the previous owner. they removed the cill but not the
lintel. Your comment explains why.

Sadly they didn't keep the cill (or the window for that matter) and we
are having to get replacements.

victorian window sill - laid across whole thickness of wall? RobertL UK diy 10 November 18th 08 06:57 PM
Painting a window sill Dave UK diy 34 September 23rd 08 06:22 PM
Fitting a window sill onto an uneven, non-level wall [email protected] UK diy 10 January 7th 08 02:40 PM
How to repair my PVC window sill? [email protected] UK diy 0 July 31st 06 01:01 PM
London Victorian Terrace Bay Window repair Edzy55 UK diy 5 November 9th 05 12:21 PM