Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Top 5 Most Dangerous Tools,

"robgraham" wrote in message
On 16 Nov, 22:17, "BigWallop" wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

media.com...
snipped

It's interesting following a discussion of this type as all the
contributors are regulars here and I imagine like myself, self-defined
competent DIY'ers. The interest is that we don't fall into one of the
groups that have been defined as typically having accidents with tools
- the over confident professional and the guy who shouldn't be let
loose ! Are we in danger of being complacent in that we don't think we
get blase like the professional and all are far too knowledgeable to
be an ignorant ?

I suspect from the postings that none of those contributing have had
anything more than a bang with a hammer, or snick with a hand saw -
either that or someone is keeping stum. Which then raises the
question as to who does have these accidents ? I've got all the power
tools described in the various lists here and more, and I use them
with considerable respect, but they all have power to do me a serious
nasty if there is that moment of inattention, and that is what worries
me.

My brother is a joiner/cabinet maker and the planer is his
downfall ... and falling off rooves. Both professional hazards.

Rob

But it seems that their are those who value their lives and limbs, and those
who don't, so much. If working at height, I prefer to have safety first.
Secure fixings to attach to. Ropes and Slings to allow movement without
falls, Etc.

Working with power tools needs a lot of respect and safety awareness. The
simple use of a pair of gloves and goggles can make a huge difference in the
way someone actually handles the machine in the first place.

There is a place for safety that some don't think about at all. Getting
over confident is, I think, the biggest cause of injury in the workplace.
Youngsters learning the ropes is an old saying, and it comes from the young
lads and lassies who worked the rigging on the tall ships and clippers.
They were taught which ropes to hold and which to let go of. It was the
first thing they learned onboard ship. That and making the tea. :-)

Today, an apprentice is left to their own devices by most companies, as far
as I can see. Our guys and girls are taken out to learn the ropes by
someone who has learned them and worked them for years, so knows the
pitfalls of losing it on the job.

Of course we learn through little mistakes, but it's only little mistakes,
not huge blunders. Yes, I admit it. I'm probably the worst HandS man on
any of our sites. But it's me who pays the insurance policies, so I'm
entitled to worry. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Heh heh - I don't have a table saw but one of those sliding compound
mitre ones - a cheapy from B&Q. And you're in no doubt when you start
it due to the 'kick' as it spins up. No soft start at that price. ;-)

I have a similar compound mitre saw ... I've noticed that it only kicks
back (yes, quite violently) when the blade is not up to full speed when
I start cutting, or when the piece being sawn is very small.

I don't start cutting 'till it is up to speed. The kick back I'm referring
to is simply torque reaction. Nothing to do with cutting - it happens even
with no work in place.

I've had a few scrapes with the kick-back, a few times being hit in the
face by off cuts ... but it is always been when I have been rushing the
job.

There's always a chance a small offcut will fly - but this can be
minimised by using the correct sharp blade. And of course you do always
wear eye protection?

Take your time when cutting.

I do indeed. But I reckon it's the safest type of power saw there is if
used correctly.

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:17:50 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

[...]

I've had my fair share of accidents, including a very near miss with a
lathe chuck - but more often than not these mishaps are due to the
unpredictable nature of the material I'm working on.
The reason the buffing machine fills me with dread is that you've no
option but to present the work to the tool in your hands and you have
to rely completely on the feel of the job against the wheel from one
moment to the next. A slight increase in grip from the mop, a fraction
of a degree too much or too little angle on the job - even an
unexpected flaw in the material or the mop and bang!, the job's
gone...and that's the best-case scenario.

Once had an interesting 10 seconds with a Dremel at 26,000 rpm and a
flexible drive....

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

We all have the occasional mishap, like you say, but they are sort of
expected and anticipated for, even before you begin the work. The
difference, I think, is knowing what might happen, instead of the idiot who
goes in blind, without any thought of what could happen.

Once had an interesting 10 seconds with a Dremel at 26,000 rpm and a
flexible drive....

But you decided to use the anti-biotic that the doctor prescribed, instead?

Regards,

Steve ( out in the sticks )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message

Tools don't even have to be your hands to be dangerous. Recently I had
my nail gun plugged in to one side of a dual socket, while the table saw
was plugged in (as usual) to the other socket of the pair.
A few times I noticed a "thudding" sound when I switched the saw off. The
first time, I thought nothing of it. The second time I thought "hmm, odd"
After the third time I started to investigate ... It turned out that the
nailgun was firing, on it's own. I have now discovered this effect is
completely
repeatable, but only on that particular double socket. It's wired the same
as all the others and shows up as OK" with my mains-plug tester.
Fortunately no nails or people were harmed during this excperiment.

p.s. most dangerous tool: hammer - I've caused more actual damage to
myself
with one of those that with any of the ones listed - probably because I
treat
power tools with a great deal of respect, and they tend to have safety
guards.

Dodgy plug socket or power tool is a totally different thing from powertool
user.

ie A car that has dodgy brakes and the user knows about them is bound to
have an accident.
A car that is fully roadworthy but the user is drunk behind the wheel
shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen Howard wrote:
Once had an interesting 10 seconds with a Dremel at 26,000 rpm and a
flexible drive....

Some of the things a Dremel type was fairly useful for - like cutting a
pipe etc in an inaccessible place - can be handled much more safely by a
Fein Multitool. And since that reciprocates is much safer than a rotary
saw or cutoff disc.

--
*People want trepanners like they want a hole in the head*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..

The table saw incident was due to a moments inattention, all the guards
were in place & working 100%.

Which make and model so I can avoid them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 02:57:18 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

snip

[...]

True, and a good point.
To put it in a very British way - "When your arse doesn't clench, your
finger's you'll wrench".

Once had an interesting 10 seconds with a Dremel at 26,000 rpm and a
flexible drive....

But you decided to use the anti-biotic that the doctor prescribed, instead?

Aye thang yew!

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

I've had my fair share of accidents, including a very near miss with a
lathe chuck -

My only near serious accident was a lathe chuck too.
I was doing my O'level and had completed the the job except for a bit of
knurling.
I either didn't tighten the chuck enough or I pressed too hard and bang! the
job went hurtling across the workshop.
Still got a grade 1 after I found the job and knurled the dent out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I don't start cutting 'till it is up to speed. The kick back I'm referring
to is simply torque reaction. Nothing to do with cutting - it happens even
with no work in place.

You need one with soft start.
Pros don't like them as it takes longer to do a cut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Just seen this on the Popular Mechanics site.

They reckon;

Circular Saw.
Chain Saw.
Table Saw.
Nail Gun
Ladder.

I'd agree with that lot & add our favourite - angle grinder,

Anyway in answer to your question...tools are only dangerous in the wrong
hands.

Some are more dangerous than others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Just seen this on the Popular Mechanics site.

They reckon;

Circular Saw.
Chain Saw.
Table Saw.
Nail Gun
Ladder.

I'd agree with that lot & add our favourite - angle grinder,

Anyway in answer to your question...tools are only dangerous in the wrong
hands.

Some are more dangerous than others.

Stepping outside the front door is dangerous,everything is dangerous in one
way or another but if we have our wits about us when using tools then the
chances are we will come out of a job unscathed.

Touching wood, I've never to this day after 35 years of using
powertools/handtools had an accident,although I have had accidents with
other stuff ie cars/oven bottle bins.

Car:bonnet came down in the wind on my thumb .
Oven Hot Pie contents splashed on my arm whilst taking tray of em out of
oven.
Used to have a job that involved hand trucking smashed bottles to the bin
room,,soeties you had to spin the drums on their bottom lip to manouver
themm into a line up against wall,most of tie they were over full... the
rest you can figure out yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
om...

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Just seen this on the Popular Mechanics site.

They reckon;

Circular Saw.
Chain Saw.
Table Saw.
Nail Gun
Ladder.

I'd agree with that lot & add our favourite - angle grinder,

Anyway in answer to your question...tools are only dangerous in the
wrong hands.

Some are more dangerous than others.

Stepping outside

Again.."Some are more dangerous than others". I would allow a 5 year old to
touch sandpaper but not a circular saw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

i think ladders are the most dangerous tool i have...

or perhaps my fingers are the most dangerous,
or my imagination...
--

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stephen Howard wrote:
Once had an interesting 10 seconds with a Dremel at 26,000 rpm and a
flexible drive....

Some of the things a Dremel type was fairly useful for - like cutting a
pipe etc in an inaccessible place - can be handled much more safely by a
Fein Multitool. And since that reciprocates is much safer than a rotary
saw or cutoff disc.

Oh dear.

You remind me of when the plumbers said 'that soil pipe needs to be cut
off flush with the tiles' and 'we cant do it'

I am not sure where it came from, but an old rubber backed disc for
sanding that goes in a drill chuck was found, plus some sort of abrasive
disk, and I cobbled together something that just fitted inside the pipe
and managed to gouge through it. Bloody hard to control, but it worked.

Not the cleanest cut ever made..but serviceable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:21:00 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Just seen this on the Popular Mechanics site.

They reckon;

Circular Saw.
Chain Saw.
Table Saw.
Nail Gun
Ladder.

I'd agree with that lot & add our favourite - angle grinder,

Chain saw on a ladder. *shudders* luckily my neighbour couldn't get it
working last year - borrowed his brothers chain saw whilst he'd gone
on his hols.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

I've had my fair share of accidents, including a very near miss with a
lathe chuck -

My only near serious accident was a lathe chuck too.

Oh yes, and flying chuck keys from lathes were a favourite at school.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Howard
saying something like:

Once had an interesting 10 seconds with a Dremel at 26,000 rpm and a
flexible drive....

When cleaning up a steel frame for a fishtank or similar, year ago...
I lost a perfectly good pair of trousers after a drill-mounted wire
brush slipped of the workpiece, got out of control and I did't let the
trigger go quickly enough.
Amazing how the brush snagged on the material and ripped it to shreds -
I was impressed there was no skin damage at all.

Stupid thing was, I was fully aware of the dangers -ffs, I'd been
working in dangerous places with dangerous machinery for years and I
certainly wouldn't have done it that way at work. It was only a five
minute job at home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only thing i've hurt myself with of late, touch wood, is a hammer
drill, because I'm not afraid of it. Powering away into the
brickwork, it suddenly snags on something and tries to spin my wrist
thru 180 degrees.

I'd say the circular saw is the most dangerous though. It too can
catch and kick, and could take off my fingers.
this morning I was doing it one-handed, and using the other hand's
thumb to press the guide bar tight against the wood so i'd get a
perfectly neat straight cut. Not a safe way to do it. Perfect cut
though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only thing i've hurt myself with of late, touch wood, is a hammer
drill, because I'm not afraid of it. Powering away into the
brickwork, it suddenly snags on something and tries to spin my wrist
thru 180 degrees.

I'd say the circular saw is the most dangerous though. It too can
catch and kick, and could take off my fingers.
this morning I was doing it one-handed, and using the other hand's
thumb to press the guide bar tight against the wood so i'd get a
perfectly neat straight cut. Not a safe way to do it. Perfect cut
though.

Many moons ago long before 'elfin safety as is, I worked during my summer
vacation for a company that made laboratory furniture.

There was a young lad on 'work experience' from school who was told to clean
around the spindle moulding machines. Unfortunately, he took this too
literally and put his arm in a machine to remove the sawdust....you can
imagine the rest :-((

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

I've had my fair share of accidents, including a very near miss with
a lathe chuck -

My only near serious accident was a lathe chuck too.

Which make and model so I can avoid them?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Just seen this on the Popular Mechanics site.

They reckon;

Circular Saw.
Chain Saw.
Table Saw.
Nail Gun
Ladder.

I'd agree with that lot & add our favourite - angle grinder

Dubya.

????

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Just seen this on the Popular Mechanics site.

They reckon;

Circular Saw.
Chain Saw.
Table Saw.
Nail Gun
Ladder.

I'd agree with that lot & add our favourite - angle grinder

Dubya.

????

George W (Dubya) Bush - dangerous tool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Just seen this on the Popular Mechanics site.

They reckon;

Circular Saw.
Chain Saw.
Table Saw.
Nail Gun
Ladder.

I'd agree with that lot & add our favourite - angle grinder,

May I add

My next door neighbours chopsaw (see previous posts)

John Holmes

Adam

Is that;

1. My next door neighbours chopsaw (see previous posts)

2. John Holmes

3. Adam

If only.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

I've had my fair share of accidents, including a very near miss with
a lathe chuck -

My only near serious accident was a lathe chuck too.

Which make and model so I can avoid them?

I don't remember that far back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

I've had my fair share of accidents, including a very near miss
with a lathe chuck -

My only near serious accident was a lathe chuck too.

Which make and model so I can avoid them?

I don't remember that far back.

Whoosh...

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Just seen this on the Popular Mechanics site.

They reckon;

Circular Saw.
Chain Saw.
Table Saw.
Nail Gun
Ladder.

I'd agree with that lot & add our favourite - angle grinder

Dubya.

????

George W (Dubya) Bush - dangerous tool.

I must pay more attention.
I must pay more attention.
I must pay more attention.
I must pay more attention.
96 more....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

I've had my fair share of accidents, including a very near miss with
a lathe chuck -

My only near serious accident was a lathe chuck too.

Which make and model so I can avoid them?

I wonder if it could have been a Nova wood chuck?

I had one, about 15 years ago, that suddenly disintegrated (securing
bolts sheared). Fortunately I was not standing in line of any of the
pieces.

The company also had dreadful customer service. They finally replaced
the chuck after 8 months. By that time I had replaced it with an APTC
chuck and I also discovered that the Nova had not been very precise. I
had put certain inaccuracies in my woodturning down to my lack of
ability; it wasn't, it was the chuck all along. The APTC one is far
superior in all ways.

--
Howard Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
dennis@home wrote:
"Stephen Howard" wrote in message

I've had my fair share of accidents, including a very near miss
with a lathe chuck -

My only near serious accident was a lathe chuck too.

Which make and model so I can avoid them?

I don't remember that far back.

Whoosh...

:-)

Whoosh.......

I meant to that post.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Don" writes:
Many moons ago long before 'elfin safety as is, I worked during my summer
vacation for a company that made laboratory furniture.

There was a young lad on 'work experience' from school who was told to clean
around the spindle moulding machines. Unfortunately, he took this too
literally and put his arm in a machine to remove the sawdust....you can
imagine the rest :-((

My mum was a factory inspector in 1950's/1960's. Lots of
investigations following accidents like that. She had a
couple of leather tanneries on her patch, and part of the
process there is feeding the skins through hot pressure
rollers to flatten them out. One nasty case I recall her
mentioning a couple of times involved a vacation student,
who was the son of the best friend of the MD. He was
feeding skins into these pressure rollers, making sure no
creases get drawn in. The machines had guards, but the
operatives normally removed them (H&S rules did exist back
then, but the workforce was often ignorant of them). Just
as had happened to other workers before, he got his fingers
of one hand caught in the rollers, and in trying to pull
them out, he got the fingers of the other hand trapped too.
The result was, he lost most of his fingers. The vacation
job was to earn some money during the summer before he took
up his piano scholarship at Oxford (or might have been
Cambridge, I forget).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:

[...]

I discovered by experience that mitre saws can be very violent. Didnt
realise it was possible, but it is, now I never use one without eye
protection, as I'm out of stock on new eyes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
I discovered by experience that mitre saws can be very violent. Didnt
realise it was possible, but it is, now I never use one without eye
protection, as I'm out of stock on new eyes.

Really there's lots of DIY jobs where it makes sense to use eye protection
- but few do.

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:

Sledge ... seen a few people wallop their ankles with a sledge ... makes a
hell of a mess.

Some years ago, I worked with someone who had sliced off two
fingers under a sledge, as a child.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:

Sledge ... seen a few people wallop their ankles with a sledge ... makes a
hell of a mess.

Some years ago, I worked with someone who had sliced off two
fingers under a sledge, as a child.

I remember , as a kid, seeing someone having his knee sliced open that
way

.... gory it was

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Just seen this on the Popular Mechanics site.

They reckon;

Circular Saw.
Chain Saw.
Table Saw.
Nail Gun
Ladder.

I'd agree with that lot & add our favourite - angle grinder,

This looks nasty...
http://tinyurl.com/5an9pj

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
scribeth thus
On 2008-11-25, geoff wrote:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Rick Hughes" writes:

Sledge ... seen a few people wallop their ankles with a sledge ... makes a
hell of a mess.

Some years ago, I worked with someone who had sliced off two
fingers under a sledge, as a child.

I remember , as a kid, seeing someone having his knee sliced open that
way

A friend of mine has a missing finger after a "degloving" injury caused when
jumped off a farm trailer and a ring he was wearing caught on a hook, and he
ended up hanging (briefly) from the one finger.

Thats why I've always refused to wear things like wedding rings and
wris****ches and the like....
--
Tony Sayer

How Dangerous? T.J. Home Repair 13 July 24th 07 01:43 AM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Dangerous! The Medway Handyman UK diy 65 December 17th 06 11:43 PM
Are the new crop of Li-ion battery tools inherently dangerous? dg UK diy 89 September 20th 06 12:13 AM
Dangerous... jay hey Home Repair 6 March 8th 06 09:00 PM