Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default French Polish

"4square" wrote in message
I have a table, about 1940's I reckon, which is french-polished.
Trouble is, the cat has been sick over it,
and this removed the finish in that area, took some of the polish
off. What is the usual method of removing french polish down to the
wood - lots of meths., or use a cabinet scraper? I shall probably
stain the top when cleaned down, and use marine varnish to re-finish.
Hopefully, I can match the un-damaged finish on the legs. Any advice
much appreciated, thank you.

I use a place in Edinburgh for all this kind of thing, and any attempt I've
had to make a nice job of French Polish has not turned out well. That's why
I leave it to the professionals.

(X-posted and all follow ups set to free.uk.diy.home uk.d-i-y)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"4square" wrote in message

What is the usual method of removing french polish down to the
wood - lots of meths., *or use a cabinet scraper?

Mainly not bothering. The whole point about shellac finishes is that
you don't need to - if they're applied within living memory, the old
finish will re-dissolve slightly and merge with the new.

If they're older than this ("crocodile" finishes especially), ammonia
is a better stripper than meths.

Grate polish Den Murray Home Repair 3 June 16th 08 06:51 AM
polish 304 Karl Townsend Metalworking 2 September 2nd 07 02:24 PM
Bullseye French Polish Larry Blanchard Woodworking 0 January 3rd 07 12:48 AM
Wax or polish? Dan-the-K Woodworking 17 April 28th 06 08:46 PM
Friction Polish Martin Rost Woodturning 9 March 13th 05 11:52 PM