Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default French Polish

"4square" wrote in message
I have a table, about 1940's I reckon, which is french-polished.
Trouble is, the cat has been sick over it,
and this removed the finish in that area, took some of the polish
off. What is the usual method of removing french polish down to the
wood - lots of meths., or use a cabinet scraper? I shall probably
stain the top when cleaned down, and use marine varnish to re-finish.
Hopefully, I can match the un-damaged finish on the legs. Any advice
much appreciated, thank you.

I use a place in Edinburgh for all this kind of thing, and any attempt I've
had to make a nice job of French Polish has not turned out well. That's why
I leave it to the professionals.

(X-posted and all follow ups set to free.uk.diy.home uk.d-i-y)