Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Default gloss paint drips

Has anyone got any tips on removing drips in gloss paint that is a few
days old.

I started to spot sand the the drip but it became clear pretty quickly
that the paint had not dried so i sanded a bit more and have ended up
back to the wood i was covering. I have touched up the scars with
white emulsion and will re-gloss but was wondering if there was a
better way to approach this job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message
Has anyone got any tips on removing drips in gloss paint that is a

few
days old.

I started to spot sand the the drip but it became clear pretty

quickly
that the paint had not dried so i sanded a bit more and have ended

up
back to the wood i was covering. I have touched up the scars with
white emulsion and will re-gloss but was wondering if there was a
better way to approach this job.

Very careful application of a razor blade, but not always sucessful as
the inner thicker paint may still be too sticky

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 2:47 pm, bob wrote:
Has anyone got any tips on removing drips in gloss paint that is a few
days old.

I started to spot sand the the drip but it became clear pretty quickly
that the paint had not dried so i sanded a bit more and have ended up
back to the wood i was covering. I have touched up the scars with
white emulsion and will re-gloss but was wondering if there was a
better way to approach this job.

Why emulsion? Emulsion is a very poor undercoat for a gloss finish, as it
doesn't flow. White undercoat would be much better.

If you can be patient, I'd leave it a few weeks until the paint has hardened
off. You might be able to shave them off with a razor blade, or wet and dry
(depending on the situation). However, you're also rather likely to see the
patch unless you are a very skilled painter (which, judging by the fact that
you got drips in the first place, seems unlikely). Your best bet (if you're
reluctant to start again with the whole item) would be to repaint the
section - e.g. on a door that might be the panel, or the stile, or the
muntin etc.

Edward

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

On 14 Nov, 16:48, "Edward" wrote:
On Nov 14, 2:47 pm, bob wrote:

[...]

The drips were actually left by a "professional" painter i had in; I
would get him back but i daren't. Thanks for the razor blade tip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

The drips were actually left by a "professional" painter i had in; I
would get him back but i daren't.

Thanks guys for the razor blade tip.

Gah...gloss paint Ben UK diy 24 April 8th 07 08:10 PM
OK to Paint over New Gloss? [email protected] UK diy 1 June 1st 06 11:08 AM
How to get rid of paint drips Jean Home Repair 10 January 28th 06 02:18 AM
Latex Paint drips on door - How to get rid of? [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 11th 05 11:03 PM
Gloss paint and age-discolouration Frank Z UK diy 1 August 4th 03 08:22 AM