Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Potential damp in new workshop

I'm building a new workshop on the end of my garage. Because of the
ground slope the workshop floor - concrete with membrane - is some 450
mm below the garage floor. There's some 300mm high of exposed and
potentially damp brickwork below the 150mm garage concrete floor which
also has a membrane.

What is recommended for sealing this brickwork. I suppose if I had
been thinking I should have run the membrane for the new concrete
floor up to the garage floor level, but I wasn't thinking that far
ahead !!

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 7:35*am, robgraham wrote:
I'm building a new workshop on the end of my garage. *Because of the
ground slope the workshop floor - concrete with membrane - is some 450
mm below the garage floor. *There's some 300mm high of exposed and
potentially damp brickwork below the 150mm garage concrete floor which
also has a membrane.

What is recommended for sealing this brickwork. *I suppose if I had
been thinking I should have run the membrane for the new concrete
floor up to the garage floor level, but I wasn't thinking that far
ahead !!

Thanks
Rob

Ventilate slightly. Other wise you could get mould and rot down there.
This means it will be cold. You therefore may wish to insulate your
floor in some manner. Generally if you can keep the inside temp of the
shed/workshop slightly above outside and slightly ventilated you
shouldn't get too many condensation (on tools etc.) problems and
withou resorting to an electrical/ mechanical dehumidifier. There are
presumably standard ventilating and air pressure equalizing 'slits'
between certain bricks?