Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Even Pro's Can Messup

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/7722891.stm

"Building caves in for second time

A high street in the West Midlands has been cordoned off after a
building collapsed for the second time.

Walls and scaffolding of the Bairstow Eves estate agents on High
Street in West Bromwich caved in at just before 1200 GMT on Tuesday.

Firefighters say some people have not been accounted for.

In June a builder, Lakhvir Singh, 47, died when the building first
caved in. Search and rescue dogs have been drafted in after the latest
incident."

More at Link
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/7722891.stm

"Building caves in for second time

A high street in the West Midlands has been cordoned off after a
building collapsed for the second time.

Walls and scaffolding of the Bairstow Eves estate agents on High
Street in West Bromwich caved in at just before 1200 GMT on Tuesday.

Firefighters say some people have not been accounted for.

In June a builder, Lakhvir Singh, 47, died when the building first
caved in. Search and rescue dogs have been drafted in after the latest
incident."

More at Link

I'd rely on them organising a survey of a property. Not.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/7722891.stm

"Building caves in for second time

In June a builder, Lakhvir Singh, 47, died when the building first
caved in. Search and rescue dogs have been drafted in after the latest
incident."

I would suggest (although I have no evidence) that the people working on
these premises are far from what one would call 'professional' (with or
without an errant apostrophe).

I see it all the time; people (of whatever nationality or ethnicity)
with little or no experience or skill attempting quite major engineering
projects, and just about getting away with it without killing themselves
or others. It appears Mr Singh was one of the unlucky ones.

If there's an argument for licensing builders, it's this.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/7722891.stm

"Building caves in for second time

In June a builder, Lakhvir Singh, 47, died when the building first
caved in. Search and rescue dogs have been drafted in after the latest
incident."

I would suggest (although I have no evidence) that the people working on
these premises are far from what one would call 'professional' (with or
without an errant apostrophe).

So it would appear, judging by the report on the roiginal incident:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/7650821.stm

Presumably the building must have been inspected and pronounced safe by
the appropriate inspectors after the June incident, so I imagine
someone's going to get his balls chewed off over the latest event.
Although - the present report does mention 'scaffolding' so maybe one of
the late Mr Singh's chums was carrying on his work...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:09:26 +0000, Lobster
wrote:

Hugo Nebula wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I guess,after the first event,the estate agent's staff must have been
sitting in trepidation that it was going to happen again ....and it
did .