Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tool for architraves

We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sandpaper should do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

Is this a complicated pattern that has lots of ins and outs that need
sanding?

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

The fein has a moulding sanding attachment - basically a series of
rubber profiles that you can wrap and clip sandpaper round - it then
sands with a linear action.

Alternatively you can make a custom hand sanding block with some cling
film and (wait for it) car body filler! Cover a small section with cling
film and push some boddy filler onto it to take up the profile of
moulding. Let it harden and then use it as a hand sanding block with an
adhesive backed paper.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Rumm
writes
geoff wrote:

We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

Is this a complicated pattern that has lots of ins and outs that need
sanding?

traditional curvy pattern

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

The fein has a moulding sanding attachment - basically a series of
rubber profiles that you can wrap and clip sandpaper round - it then
sands with a linear action.

is it the best tool for the job ?

or something cheaper and simpler - I don't do much of that sort of thing
at the moment

Alternatively you can make a custom hand sanding block with some cling
film and (wait for it) car body filler! Cover a small section with
cling film and push some boddy filler onto it to take up the profile of
moulding. Let it harden and then use it as a hand sanding block with an
adhesive backed paper.

There's a cunning idea there, isn't there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 11:21*pm, John Rumm wrote:
geoff wrote:
We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

Is this a complicated pattern that has lots of ins and outs that need
sanding?

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

The fein has a moulding sanding attachment - basically a series of
rubber profiles that you can wrap and clip sandpaper round - it then
sands with a linear action.

Alternatively you can make a custom hand sanding block with some cling
film and (wait for it) car body filler! Cover a small section with cling
film and push some boddy filler onto it to take up the profile of
moulding. Let it harden and then use it as a hand sanding block with an
adhesive backed paper.

If youre willing to strip a bit off by hand first you'd get a much
better shape on the hand sanding block.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

Is this a complicated pattern that has lots of ins and outs that need
sanding?

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

The fein has a moulding sanding attachment - basically a series of
rubber profiles that you can wrap and clip sandpaper round - it then
sands with a linear action.

Alternatively you can make a custom hand sanding block with some cling
film and (wait for it) car body filler! Cover a small section with cling
film and push some boddy filler onto it to take up the profile of
moulding. Let it harden and then use it as a hand sanding block with an
adhesive backed paper.

If youre willing to strip a bit off by hand first you'd get a much
better shape on the hand sanding block.

NT

With a moment more thought, sanding is deprecated for sash windows due
to the risks of inhaling lead compound dust. Liquid stripper works if
you need bare wood.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Rednadnerb writes
Sandpaper should do.

Hah, you're pullin' my todger

You wouldn't happen to know a suitable implement for knocking nails into
a piece of wood while you're at it, would you ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

--
geoff

Having strippped *miles* of Victorian & Edwardian mouldings, I found
that gentle application of a blowlamp followed by a firm wiping action
with a genuine bristle (1) floor scrubbing brush works wonders. It is
very important only to wipe in one direction - from the already
stripped wood towards the heated area and then beyond onto cool. This
literally rolls up the paint/varnish/shellac gunge. Then sanding is
very easy with ordinary sandpaper as the wood hasn't been mucked up as
it can be when using a scraper.

(1) Don't try this with a plastic brush - it'll melt !!!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

--
geoff

Brass suede shoe brush,give it a few scuffings on a piece of scrap wood
before use to soften it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message

We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

--
geoff

Having strippped *miles* of Victorian & Edwardian mouldings, I found
that gentle application of a blowlamp followed by a firm wiping action
with a genuine bristle (1) floor scrubbing brush works wonders. It is
very important only to wipe in one direction - from the already
stripped wood towards the heated area and then beyond onto cool. This
literally rolls up the paint/varnish/shellac gunge. Then sanding is
very easy with ordinary sandpaper as the wood hasn't been mucked up as
it can be when using a scraper.

(1) Don't try this with a plastic brush - it'll melt !!!!

AWEM

He wants to sand the paint not burn it off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
geoff wrote:

We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

snip

Alternatively you can make a custom hand sanding block with some cling
film and (wait for it) car body filler! Cover a small section with cling
film and push some boddy filler onto it to take up the profile of
moulding. Let it harden and then use it as a hand sanding block with an
adhesive backed paper.

Ooooh!

It may be a measure of my ignorance but I've not heard that before...
....and there's me just preparing to make good some rather grand victorian
coving.

Thank you.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"geoff" wrote in message

[...]

Pearls before swine - just tuck it away for next time and get over it
!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
We need to sand around some windows top prepare them for painting

what's the best tool for this the fein multi master, or what ?

Angle grinder. Sorry it was late.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk