Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dishwasher Q

The top spray arm is not rotating, there appears to
be water comming from the spout at the top of the machine.

I took the arm out and held the funnel under a running
tap. The arm did not rotate.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dish.jpg

Seems to be a simple enough screw turbine arrangement
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dishex.jpg
I can't understand what is wrong, can someone help please?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message
The top spray arm is not rotating, there appears to
be water comming from the spout at the top of the machine.

I took the arm out and held the funnel under a running
tap. The arm did not rotate.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dish.jpg

Seems to be a simple enough screw turbine arrangement
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dishex.jpg
I can't understand what is wrong, can someone help please?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

The screw thread arrangement is a type of labyrinth seal. The holes in the
spray arm provide the reaction jets to turn the arm. Is the grey thrust ring
too tight?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
news

"Graham." wrote in message
The top spray arm is not rotating, there appears to
be water comming from the spout at the top of the machine.

I took the arm out and held the funnel under a running
tap. The arm did not rotate.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dish.jpg

Seems to be a simple enough screw turbine arrangement
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dishex.jpg
I can't understand what is wrong, can someone help please?

The screw thread arrangement is a type of labyrinth seal. The holes in the
spray arm provide the reaction jets to turn the arm. Is the grey thrust
ring too tight?

No, even when fully tightened there is about 2mm clearence

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
The top spray arm is not rotating, there appears to
be water comming from the spout at the top of the machine.

I took the arm out and held the funnel under a running
tap. The arm did not rotate.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dish.jpg

Seems to be a simple enough screw turbine arrangement
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dishex.jpg
I can't understand what is wrong, can someone help please?

is there enough water pressure coming from the dish washer ?

if you up the pressure from the tap (when testing) will the arm turn ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message
The top spray arm is not rotating, there appears to
be water comming from the spout at the top of the machine.

I took the arm out and held the funnel under a running
tap. The arm did not rotate.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dish.jpg

Seems to be a simple enough screw turbine arrangement
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dishex.jpg
I can't understand what is wrong, can someone help please?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

The screw thread arrangement is a type of labyrinth seal. The holes in the
spray arm provide the reaction jets to turn the arm. Is the grey thrust ring
too tight?

Hard water deposits binding on the swivel faces? I had that and a bit
of rubbing & descaler fixed it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"John" writes:

"Graham." wrote in message
The top spray arm is not rotating, there appears to
be water comming from the spout at the top of the machine.

I took the arm out and held the funnel under a running
tap. The arm did not rotate.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dish.jpg

Seems to be a simple enough screw turbine arrangement
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dishex.jpg
I can't understand what is wrong, can someone help please?

The screw thread arrangement is a type of labyrinth seal. The holes in the
spray arm provide the reaction jets to turn the arm. Is the grey thrust ring
too tight?

Are the angled hole(s) in the arm obstructed?
Does it spin freely by hand?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chewbacca" wrote in message
John wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message
The top spray arm is not rotating, there appears to
be water comming from the spout at the top of the machine.

I took the arm out and held the funnel under a running
tap. The arm did not rotate.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dish.jpg

Seems to be a simple enough screw turbine arrangement
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dishex.jpg
I can't understand what is wrong, can someone help please?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

The screw thread arrangement is a type of labyrinth seal. The holes in
the
spray arm provide the reaction jets to turn the arm. Is the grey thrust
ring
too tight?

Hard water deposits binding on the swivel faces? I had that and a bit
of rubbing & descaler fixed it

I'm in Manchester, water doesn't come much softer.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"John" writes:

"Graham." wrote in message
The top spray arm is not rotating, there appears to
be water comming from the spout at the top of the machine.

I took the arm out and held the funnel under a running
tap. The arm did not rotate.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dish.jpg

Seems to be a simple enough screw turbine arrangement
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/dishex.jpg
I can't understand what is wrong, can someone help please?

The screw thread arrangement is a type of labyrinth seal. The holes in
the
spray arm provide the reaction jets to turn the arm. Is the grey thrust
ring
too tight?

Are the angled hole(s) in the arm obstructed?
Does it spin freely by hand?

No and yes.

I think the test I did out of the machine was a red herring,
probably didn't have the tap on enough, water was going
over the kitchen floor as it was.

If I remove the lower arm and block the aperture with
a wet rag the upper on starts to turn, suggesting a
partially blocked flow.
Andrew, what causes the rhythmic whooshing noise
when the machine is working normally?
I always thought it was the spray arms going round
but the machine still makes that sound with both arms
removed, so I must be mistaken.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Exhausted explained on 08/11/2008 :
is there enough water pressure coming from the dish washer ?

if you up the pressure from the tap (when testing) will the arm turn ?

I would be inclined to temporarily block the flow (if its possible) to
the lower arm - to see if the upper one then turns. That would confirm
poor flow into the spinners.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Exhausted explained on 08/11/2008 :
is there enough water pressure coming from the dish washer ?

if you up the pressure from the tap (when testing) will the arm turn ?

I would be inclined to temporarily block the flow (if its possible) to the
lower arm - to see if the upper one then turns. That would confirm poor
flow into the spinners.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Hi Harry, I did, and it did; see my last post.
I'll pull it out and have a closer look tomorrow.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Dishwasher Help janbennett UK diy 5 April 18th 08 12:41 PM
G.E. Dishwasher Recall - What to do with Old Dishwasher Greg Wilkerson Home Repair 10 July 3rd 07 02:46 AM
Dishwasher help please [email protected] Home Repair 7 February 7th 07 04:03 PM
Dishwasher smithfarms pure kona Home Repair 10 March 10th 06 04:37 PM
What to look for in Used Dishwasher? bryanska Home Repair 11 September 8th 05 05:44 AM