Posted to alt.home.repair
smithfarms pure kona

Default Dishwasher

TIA.

Have to go get a new dishwasher tomorrow at Lowe's. I could look into
these archives but this group writes more than all my others put
together, I think. Anyone have a fast answer on just a regular
dishwasher? (If that wasn't bad enough, our Television sound went off
too and only comes back on after 20 minutes, but I think I can figure
that one out at COSTCO) I have only bought 2 dishwashers in my whole
life and this last one lasted 18 years!

Do you go for price or maker or what else should I think about? TIA!

Just a fast answer if you have a minute and I'd be ever so grateful.

Many thank yous.

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

RichK is on the right track.
The fewer bells & whistles the less there is to fail.
We had a Sears that lasted a long time, then a fancy GE that makes me
glad we have a service contract.
The circuit board, flapper valves, and solinoid have all failed.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

smithfarms pure kona wrote:
TIA.

Have to go get a new dishwasher tomorrow at Lowe's. I could look into
these archives but this group writes more than all my others put
together, I think. Anyone have a fast answer on just a regular
dishwasher? (If that wasn't bad enough, our Television sound went off
too and only comes back on after 20 minutes, but I think I can figure
that one out at COSTCO) I have only bought 2 dishwashers in my whole
life and this last one lasted 18 years!

Do you go for price or maker or what else should I think about? TIA!

Just a fast answer if you have a minute and I'd be ever so grateful.

Many thank yous.

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

As the others have said, there are dishwashers loaded with options that
most people never use. Find one that has only what you intend to use
and it will be a wise decision. Even if all the electronics and valves
work, rust will eventually get the unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Itsme

Buy both at Costco?

I just bought a mid-high end Maytag and it works great.

I worked in the industry for a while and although Maytag may not be as
energy efficient as a Bosch or Miele or that other high end stuff...it would
take a lotta washing to make up that price premium.

The Maytag cleans like a MF and thats what matters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"smithfarms pure kona" wrote in message
Have to go get a new dishwasher tomorrow at Lowe's.

Why Lowes? In most cases, your local dealer can match their prices and give
you much better service. Most dealer belong to buyer co-ops and can give
very competitive prices. Last time I looked at Lowes, by local dealer beat
their price and gave me faster delivery. YMMV, but it is worth checking out.
When I bought a washing machine, it was delivered in two hours.

Anyone have a fast answer on just a regular
dishwasher? (

Do you go for price or maker or what else should I think about? TIA!

In general, the higher price units are better made and have more features.
The cheaper brands have plastic liners, the better brands have stainless
steel liners. Even the cheaper units will wash dishes very well though, and
most fancy models have more cycles than you will ever use.

Cheap brands are Frigidaire, Hotpoint
Better brands are Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag.

FWIW, we are very happy with our KA
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair
smithfarms pure kona

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

We JUST ran our new LG for the first time the other day so I can't say
anything about reliability, but it has to be the quietest dishwasher
I've ever encountered! Gets everything clean too. Like I said, no
idea on reliability, but no complaints so far. Had a Kitchenaid in our
previous home and it ran trouble free for the three and a half years we
lived there. It was a tad noisier, but still relatively quiet. I
agree with the others on features, get what you need no more. If
you're into efficiency, make sure it has an "energy save" option to
turn off the heated dry.

Posted to alt.home.repair
smithfarms pure kona

On 8 Mar 2006 07:58:52 -0800, "louie" wrote:

We JUST ran our new LG for the first time the other day so I can't

say
anything about reliability, but it has to be the quietest dishwasher
I've ever encountered! Gets everything clean too. Like I said, no
idea on reliability, but no complaints so far. Had a Kitchenaid in

our
previous home and it ran trouble free for the three and a half years

we
lived there. It was a tad noisier, but still relatively quiet. I
agree with the others on features, get what you need no more. If
you're into efficiency, make sure it has an "energy save" option to
turn off the heated dry.

Thank you every body. I tried to read about dishwashers as much as I
could but I do not have a high end type income, which a lot of the
writings were about.

I have gotten so much information from you all and thank you! I
never thought of going to my local dealer but it is a good idea. I
just didn't want to over spend and (wrongly) assumed Lowe's was
cheaper. I'll check around and be able to make a much better choice
because of your input.

with aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Posted to alt.home.repair
smithfarms pure kona

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 02:47:13 GMT, "Itsme"
wrote:

Buy both at Costco?

I just bought a mid-high end Maytag and it works great.

I worked in the industry for a while and although Maytag may not be

as
energy efficient as a Bosch or Miele or that other high end

stuff...it would
take a lotta washing to make up that price premium.

The Maytag cleans like a MF and thats what matters.

FYI, I went to COSTCO yesterday and our COSTCO does not sell
dishwashers. Lots of iceboxes, flat screen TVs, wine cooler box
things etc. but no dishwashers. With our small population, less than
100,00 residents on our side of the island, we have COSTCO which has
been here the longest - 10 years, and more recently Home Depot and the
most recent Lowe's--I think they figured out how to sell different
things. For example, COSTCO used to sell house paint but I noticed
once HD and Lowe's came, COSTCO stopped selling paint. Lowe's does
sell dishwashers, and I have yet to check the local small store, but
will.

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd definitely check out the ratings from Consumer Reports that are
available online. I disagree with the advice to go with a unit with a
mechanical timer. These are the cheapest units, they look like crap,
and I doubt you will find that they are any more reliable.

One thing I would look for is a flat panel design that is easy to keep
clean. I personally would avoid units that have hidden controls that
are located on the top door edge. That seems like a very bad place
for a touchpad, as it gets hit with steam, water occasionally.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference. Stainless interior
looks a lot nicer, and it's sold as being unstainable, while plastic
supposidly can pick up stains from tomatoe sauce, etc. However, I've
had both and the plastic one didn't get stained.

I would't pay extra for a lot of cycle features you will never use.
More important is how well it loads, how easy it is to remove the upper
tray to fit really big things in, etc. Some units have an upper tray
that you can lower if you want increased room up top. I think a couple
of Maytags had this feature worked out really nice, where you could do
it quickly from just grasping the side handles. But again, how much
you would actually use it is questionable. I think noise is an issue
that is very important and again CR has those ratings.