Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default stuck bedroom door

hi all

This is the most ridiculous and annoying problem ever, in fact I can't
believe I'm about to write this but, here goes... I can't open the door to
one of my upstairs bedrooms anymore! The damned thing has suddenly
overnight become completely immovable!!?? It's almost like something is
blocking it from the other side but, there's nothing behind it that could
have fallen over or anything and I'm absolutely baffled as to what the hell
it could be that's causing it.

Anyone ever encountered anything like this before? Short of going up a
ladder and smashing my way in from the outside, I can't think of what else
to do?

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , dustie
writes
hi all

This is the most ridiculous and annoying problem ever, in fact I can't
believe I'm about to write this but, here goes... I can't open the door to
one of my upstairs bedrooms anymore! The damned thing has suddenly
overnight become completely immovable!!?? It's almost like something is
blocking it from the other side but, there's nothing behind it that could
have fallen over or anything and I'm absolutely baffled as to what the hell
it could be that's causing it.

Anyone ever encountered anything like this before? Short of going up a
ladder and smashing my way in from the outside, I can't think of what else
to do?

cheers

I've had a bad evening with the PC so thanks for brightening my day!

Can you tell where it is stuck? Top, bottom, side etc. ? If it is all
then I would suggest that it has got damp and swelled, if so maybe get
some one to hold the handle down while you give it a good shove. If just
the handle side is it moveable at the top and bottom but not the middle,
has the catch failed and although it appears to be operating in reality
it isn't? What ever, have fun. :-)
Can't be as bad as my neighbour, he managed to lock his keys in his
bedroom a while back.
Best of luck.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill writes:
[...]

Reminds me when I was a kid, and one of neighbours managed to
get suck in their bedroom. I think the doorhandle broke off
or something like that. That got all the neighbours out with
their ladders. ISTR there was almost a race to see who could
rescue them first. Anyway, after this fairly elderly couple
had been rescued and brought down the ladder, someone popped
back indoors, and discovered that all that had been needed
was for someone to nip upstairs and open the door from the
other side!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dustie" wrote in message
hi all

This is the most ridiculous and annoying problem ever, in fact I can't
believe I'm about to write this but, here goes... I can't open the door

one of my upstairs bedrooms anymore! The damned thing has suddenly
overnight become completely immovable!!?? It's almost like something is
blocking it from the other side but, there's nothing behind it that could
have fallen over or anything and I'm absolutely baffled as to what the

hell
it could be that's causing it.

Anyone ever encountered anything like this before? Short of going up a
ladder and smashing my way in from the outside, I can't think of what else
to do?

cheers

As Bill says, does the door have a latch on it with a turn handle? The
latch maybe stuck out and the handle is just turning around doing nothing.
Try slipping a strip off a plastic bottle into the gap at the latch to
release it.

Have the kids been playing with the Super Glue? Do you have any kind of
carpeting on the floor that may be wrinkled up? Have you had wooden floors
laid recently? Have you had any flooding or even small leaks? Is the
bedroom window secure or have squatters moved in and locked the door?

If the door feels stuck all around the frame, have you felt any kind of
movement in the whole house? If the building has moved by some kind of slip
or subsidence, then the frame could be catching the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 1:22*am, "dustie" wrote:
hi all

This is the most ridiculous and annoying problem ever, in fact I can't
believe I'm about to write this but, here goes... *I can't open the door to
one of my upstairs bedrooms anymore! *The damned thing has suddenly
overnight become completely immovable!!?? *It's almost like something is
blocking it from the other side but, there's nothing behind it that could
have fallen over or anything and I'm absolutely baffled as to what the hell
it could be that's causing it.

Anyone ever encountered anything like this before? *Short of going up a
ladder and smashing my way in from the outside, I can't think of what else
to do?

cheers

If you whack the door all round its edges you'll see what moves
slightly and what doesnt. Place a bit of wood against the door and hit
that to avoid any risk of marking/denting it. Then you'll know exactly
where its stuck, and that says a lot about hat the cause is. That or
your whacking will open it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Nov 5, 1:22 am, "dustie" wrote:
[...]

Cheap catches can fall apart so that the handle doesn't withdraw the latch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you tell where it is stuck? Top, bottom, side etc. ? If it is all
then I would suggest that it has got damp and swelled, if so maybe get
some one to hold the handle down while you give it a good shove. If just
the handle side is it moveable at the top and bottom but not the middle,
has the catch failed and although it appears to be operating in reality it
isn't?

I think it's the handle/catch. It's very firmly stopping there so I don't
think it's turning all the way properly anymore, though it is definitely
turning a bit. Ah well, time to get some big mates round tonight to try and
break it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dustie" wrote in message
Can you tell where it is stuck? Top, bottom, side etc. ? If it is all
then I would suggest that it has got damp and swelled, if so maybe get
some one to hold the handle down while you give it a good shove. If just
the handle side is it moveable at the top and bottom but not the middle,
has the catch failed and although it appears to be operating in reality
it isn't?

I think it's the handle/catch. It's very firmly stopping there so I don't
think it's turning all the way properly anymore, though it is definitely
turning a bit. Ah well, time to get some big mates round tonight to try
and break it...

I presume the handle cannot be removed from the outside? If it can you can
then turn the bar with a spanner. Otherwise the handle is probably broken
internally anyway and needs replacing = you can "remove" it using something
more meaty than a screwdriver.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Mannix" writes:
"dustie" wrote in message
[...]

One thing I had just after moving into a house and getting stuck
in the bathroom was finding someone had cut the square bar too
short. After slamming the door, the bar shifted and disengaged with
the handle. Using the only tool I had in the bathroom, a pair of
nail clippers, I managed to unscrew the handle, and then grip the
1mm of square bar which was still sticking out of the latch
mechanism. Nail clippers were buggered though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dustie" wrote in message
hi all

This is the most ridiculous and annoying problem ever, in fact I can't
believe I'm about to write this but, here goes... I can't open the door
to one of my upstairs bedrooms anymore! The damned thing has suddenly
overnight become completely immovable!!?? It's almost like something is
blocking it from the other side but, there's nothing behind it that could
have fallen over or anything and I'm absolutely baffled as to what the
hell it could be that's causing it.

Anyone ever encountered anything like this before? Short of going up a
ladder and smashing my way in from the outside, I can't think of what else
to do?

cheers

A builder friend of mine told me of a similar situation which he had to deal
with.

In the 70's when it was the 'fashion' to knock through the ground floors of
terraced houses to give the 'open plan effect' he received an emergency call
one morning. On arrival he was greeted by a young couple who were trapped in
their bedroom. They dropped the door keys to him & he let himself into a
totally gutted house.

The householder had decided to d.i.y to safe money & knocked through a load
bearing wall without supporting the upper floor. During the night things
started to 'droop' thanks to our friend gravity and the only thing which had
prevented the whole lot from collapsing was the fact they'd closed their
bedroom door!

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Nov, 09:56, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Bob Mannix" writes:

"dustie" wrote in message
[...]

A similar thing happened to me the first time I went into my "new"
house. I closed the bedroom door with me inside and when I went to
open it, the handle came off. It had only a ball catch so no bar to
grip. I had panicky visions of being found there months later until I
remembered I had a screwdriver in my pocket and was able to prise the
door open.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dustie wrote:
Can you tell where it is stuck? Top, bottom, side etc. ? If it is all
then I would suggest that it has got damp and swelled, if so maybe get
some one to hold the handle down while you give it a good shove. If just
the handle side is it moveable at the top and bottom but not the middle,
has the catch failed and although it appears to be operating in reality it
isn't?

I think it's the handle/catch. It's very firmly stopping there so I don't
think it's turning all the way properly anymore, though it is definitely
turning a bit. Ah well, time to get some big mates round tonight to try and
break it...

Remove handle and see if spindle can be turned with mole grips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Remove handle and see if spindle can be turned with mole grips.

did that so that the square bit was sticking out. used a pair of pliers to
turn it as far as I could but it made no difference...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As Bill says, does the door have a latch on it with a turn handle? The
latch maybe stuck out and the handle is just turning around doing nothing.
Try slipping a strip off a plastic bottle into the gap at the latch to
release it.

Tried that but can't get anything to go all the way in round the 'corner' of
the door frame...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I fitted a new lock/handle on my kitchen door some years
ago. Standing outside I carefully pulled the door closed
to check alainment. Bugger! The handle, and all my tools
were inside! I had to go down the road knocking on doors
to find somebody with a screwdriver.

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Nov, 09:41, "dustie" wrote:
Can you tell where it is stuck? Top, bottom, side etc. ? *If it is all
then I would suggest that it has got damp and swelled, if so maybe get
some one to hold the handle down while you give it a good shove. If just
the handle side is it moveable at the top and bottom but not the middle,
has the catch failed and although it appears to be operating in reality it
isn't?

I think it's the handle/catch. *It's very firmly stopping there so I don't
think it's turning all the way properly anymore, though it is definitely
turning a bit. *Ah well, time to get some big mates round tonight to try and
break it... *

Is there also a lock on the door? I have one where if you turn the key
half way you can't turn the handle on the catch. But I guess you've
already tried the key if any.

Thinking laterally -- if you you give up on the lock but have access
to the hinges, knock out the pins (or to save anyone else saying it,
angle-grind them apart). Much less damage than the police-style "big
red key".

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Reminds me when I was a kid, and one of neighbours managed to
get suck in their bedroom.

Types... deletes... types... deletes... types... deletes... gives up

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dustie wrote:
As Bill says, does the door have a latch on it with a turn handle? The
latch maybe stuck out and the handle is just turning around
doing nothing. Try slipping a strip off a plastic bottle into the
gap at the latch to release it.

Tried that but can't get anything to go all the way in round the
'corner' of the door frame...

Assuming the door opens into the room? The door frame may be a separate
piece of timber which could be prized off, allowing you access to the latch.
If not, good excuse to buy a Bosch PMF 180 to cut out a section of the
frame.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As Bill says, does the door have a latch on it with a turn handle? The
latch maybe stuck out and the handle is just turning around
doing nothing. Try slipping a strip off a plastic bottle into the
gap at the latch to release it.

Tried that but can't get anything to go all the way in round the
'corner' of the door frame...

I tried again and DID manage to slip a credit card all the way into the door
frame so I could slide it up and down. It won't let me slide where the
latch is though. I've used pliers to turn the handle as far as it will go
but, checking with the credit card, that latch is still very much sticking
out so it looks like that's definitely the problem... I can't shove the
card in where it needs to go though to force hte latch back in no matter how
hard I try...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I tried again and DID manage to slip a credit card all the way into the
door frame so I could slide it up and down. It won't let me slide where
the latch is though. I've used pliers to turn the handle as far as it
will go but, checking with the credit card, that latch is still very much
sticking out so it looks like that's definitely the problem... I can't
shove the card in where it needs to go though to force hte latch back in
no matter how hard I try...

Hi all

Problem solved! My mate who's a wizz at DIY and stuff came round and
continued my work with the credit card and succeeded in getting the door
open! He said I'd have got there eventually if I'd have kept on trying...
He took the whole lock mechanism out which he said had broken. Did some
jiggery-pokery and now it's all fine again. PHEW!

Thanks for everyone's advice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Bill writes:
[...]

Until I got to the end I assumed that this solution was impossible because
he couldn't give them the keys to his front (or back) door :-(

tim