Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default stuck bedroom door

On 5 Nov, 09:56, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "Bob Mannix" writes:

"dustie" wrote in message
Can you tell where it is stuck? Top, bottom, side etc. ? *If it is all
then I would suggest that it has got damp and swelled, if so maybe get
some one to hold the handle down while you give it a good shove. If just
the handle side is it moveable at the top and bottom but not the middle,
has the catch failed and although it appears to be operating in reality
it isn't?

I think it's the handle/catch. *It's very firmly stopping there so I don't
think it's turning all the way properly anymore, though it is definitely
turning a bit. *Ah well, time to get some big mates round tonight to try
and break it... *

I presume the handle cannot be removed from the outside? If it can you can
then turn the bar with a spanner. Otherwise the handle is probably broken
internally anyway and needs replacing = you can "remove" it using something
more meaty than a screwdriver.

One thing I had just after moving into a house and getting stuck
in the bathroom was finding someone had cut the square bar too
short. After slamming the door, the bar shifted and disengaged with
the handle. Using the only tool I had in the bathroom, a pair of
nail clippers, I managed to unscrew the handle, and then grip the
1mm of square bar which was still sticking out of the latch
mechanism. Nail clippers were buggered though.

--
Andrew Gabriel

A similar thing happened to me the first time I went into my "new"
house. I closed the bedroom door with me inside and when I went to
open it, the handle came off. It had only a ball catch so no bar to
grip. I had panicky visions of being found there months later until I
remembered I had a screwdriver in my pocket and was able to prise the
door open.

Chris