Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Anyone know of a cheap clip on flow meter for domestic heating oil?

There's a white plastic pipe between the oil tank and the boiler. I
want to clip on a flow meter to measure the oil actually being
consumed at any one moment. Is there such a device?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

MM wrote:
There's a white plastic pipe between the oil tank and the boiler. I
want to clip on a flow meter to measure the oil actually being
consumed at any one moment. Is there such a device?

MM

Are you sure that is a plastic pipe - rather than a copper pipe with a
plastic coating?

(I don't know - just seem to remember reading something like that.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:16:44 +0000, Rod wrote:

There's a white plastic pipe between the oil tank and the boiler. I
want to clip on a flow meter to measure the oil actually being
consumed at any one moment. Is there such a device?

Are you sure that is a plastic pipe - rather than a copper pipe with a
plastic coating?

I think he will find it;s is plastic coated copper. Plastic pipe
containing a flammable liquid in a fire ...

Anyway I doubt very much that a clip on flow meter exists. I can't think
of any physics that would allow the measurement of the flow of a
homogeneous fluid without something actually in the that fluid. There
*might* be something, maybe based on doppler, but I don't think that would
work without something in the fluid for the waves to bounce off(*). I
doubt any such solution would be cheap. Pressure variation across a
venturi? Would need the pipe to be cut to insert the venturi, not clip on.

Most cheap flow meters have a little paddle in the path that rotates with
the flow and you count the rotations over time, this again precludes the
requested clip on feature.

(*) Works for blood as blood has lots of bits, mainly red cells, floating
about in it for the waves to bounce off.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
There's a white plastic pipe between the oil tank and the boiler. I
want to clip on a flow meter to measure the oil actually being
consumed at any one moment. Is there such a device?

Dunno about that but
http://www.canongatetechnology.co.uk...ckst.html#prod is a range of
products for non-invasive tank level measurements based on ultrasonics.
Maybe you'll find something there, or maybe not.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
There's a white plastic pipe between the oil tank and the boiler. I
want to clip on a flow meter to measure the oil actually being
consumed at any one moment. Is there such a device?

MM

Oil boiler jets are calibrated with their consumption. So if the jet is new
and the pump is set to the calibrated pressure, it should squirt out the
right amount of oil. e.g 0.6 US gallons per hour. If your not using the
pressure at which the nozzle is calibrated you can use tables to make an
adjustment.

http://burner.danfoss.com/dila/dkbdps000a202.pdf

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

MM wrote:
There's a white plastic pipe between the oil tank and the boiler. I
want to clip on a flow meter to measure the oil actually being
consumed at any one moment. Is there such a device?

MM

Are you sure that is a plastic pipe - rather than a copper pipe with a
plastic coating?

No, it's definitely plastic.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:58:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:16:44 +0000, Rod wrote:

There's a white plastic pipe between the oil tank and the boiler. I
want to clip on a flow meter to measure the oil actually being
consumed at any one moment. Is there such a device?

Are you sure that is a plastic pipe - rather than a copper pipe with a
plastic coating?

I think he will find it;s is plastic coated copper. Plastic pipe
containing a flammable liquid in a fire ...

Anyway I doubt very much that a clip on flow meter exists. I can't think
of any physics that would allow the measurement of the flow of a
homogeneous fluid without something actually in the that fluid. There
*might* be something, maybe based on doppler,

Doppler. That's what I've seen on the web. But EXPENSIVE!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Oct, 09:58, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I think he will find it;s is plastic coated copper. Plastic pipe
containing a flammable liquid in a fire ...

I have a roll of plastic CH oil pipe in my garage. If the oil ever
gets affordable again I may get round to connecting up the new
tank ...

Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I can't think
of any physics that would allow the measurement of the flow of a
homogeneous fluid without something actually in the that fluid. There
*might* be something, maybe based on doppler, but I don't think that would
work without something in the fluid for the waves to bounce off(*).

The heat meters attached to the wood boilers I used to service were some
sort of acoustic device to measure flow of hot water. I think they sent
sound between two transceivers and worked out the liquid velocity by the
difference in trip time either way. The Landis ones were not clip on but I
did see this after a google

http://www.dmsltd.com/Non_Invasive_H...-On_Heat_Meter

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 03:22:51 -0700 (PDT), The Real Doctor wrote:

If the oil ever gets affordable again I may get round to connecting up
the new tank ...

Define affordable, should be able to get it below 40p/l these days.

--
Cheers
Dave.