Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Router jigs

Having a bunch of doors to replace in the foreseeable future, I keep
thinking that I could save endless sessions slaving over a hot chisel
if I had the right router jigs for locks and hinges. On the other
hand, when I look them up (Screwfix etc), they seem more than a little
expensive considering how few times you would actually use one.
So does anyone know if there's a good way around this? Perhaps some
plans to build a good approximation (that might do a better job than
me wiv me chisel!) or a source of a less 'pro' version? When I needed
a worktop jig, I managed to find one online (can't remember where that
was much cheaper than the Trend etc versions): Although I could see
that you it last too long in the hands of a full time kitchen fitter,
it did a fine job for a once off and I've lent it out a few times
since.
Any suggestions warmly received but, before anyone says it, yes I know
I'm being a cheapskate.....or, rather, just unable to find the right
arguments to justify the cost to a higher authority (SWMBO).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

Why not DIY?

I've cut jigs out of 12mm mdf before now (hob, sink, desks and - only
tonight - to route hand-hold handles for my workbench drawers). Perhaps
something stronger/more stable for working on the edge of a door - thick
perspex or similar?, easy to work, cut to size and cut the template for
a router template guide.

If you can spare the time, it's quite satisfying to make your own jigs
for jobs like what you have planned. And cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hinge jigs - not a lot to them. Clamp or pin appropriate stops in
place. Any old thin bit of ply will do. Locks - depends on the
complexity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Oct, 17:42, GMM wrote:
[...]

I made my own jig to fit a pair and a half of 4" hinges out of MDF. It
saved a whole bunch of time with a 1/2" cutter and collar in the
router. Available for free loan against a small surity if near
Telford, Shropshire.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Thanks chaps - It sounds like I may not be mistaken in thinking it
shouldn't be impossible to knock something up for the job. I suppose
I've been wondering how to make something that will clamp or whatever
to the edge of the door, without doing any damage to the face.

Thanks for the offer 1501: It's a bit of a trek to Telford
unfortunately, but is ther any chance you could post a photo of your
jig somewhere to give me a clue as to what I'm aiming for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Oct, 09:09, GMM wrote:
Thanks chaps - It sounds like I may not be mistaken in thinking it
shouldn't be impossible to knock something up for the job. *I suppose
I've been wondering how to make something that will clamp or whatever
to the edge of the door, without doing any damage to the face.

Thanks for the offer 1501: *It's a bit of a trek to Telford
unfortunately, but is ther any chance you could post a photo of your
jig somewhere to give me a clue as to what I'm aiming for?

I'm working on the photos. Meanwhile you might like to know I usually
fix my jigs to the workpiece with (don't laugh) double-sided selotape.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

1501 wrote:
On 25 Oct, 09:09, GMM wrote:
Thanks chaps - It sounds like I may not be mistaken in thinking it
shouldn't be impossible to knock something up for the job. I suppose
I've been wondering how to make something that will clamp or whatever
to the edge of the door, without doing any damage to the face.

Thanks for the offer 1501: It's a bit of a trek to Telford
unfortunately, but is ther any chance you could post a photo of your
jig somewhere to give me a clue as to what I'm aiming for?

I'm working on the photos. Meanwhile you might like to know I usually
fix my jigs to the workpiece with (don't laugh) double-sided selotape.

Be careful of the x-rays!

(One of the occasions on the video is well worth watching, IMHO.)

--
Rod

onset.

Router Jigs 101 J T Woodworking 3 March 27th 08 01:47 AM
5 ROUTER JIGS J T Woodworking 4 March 2nd 08 12:26 AM
router joints using jigs? k Woodworking 3 October 18th 07 09:48 PM
Mortice/tenon Router jigs petek UK diy 3 July 27th 07 04:32 PM
Router jigs Sam Berlyn Woodworking 2 November 26th 04 06:34 PM