Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fireplace doors

Hi,

An earlier post on this subject did not seem to illicit an answer, but
I wonder if anyone has any experience in the UK of fitting fireplace
doors. These are glass doors which fit in your open fireplace. The
frame has adjustable air vents. The idea is that they reduce or even
prevent as much warm air going up the chimney. heat still eminates
from the fire as radiated heat.

I found one place in the UK but the price seemed very high (i.e £500)
for a set for a 460mm(w) x 540mm (h) pseudo-Rumford fireplace.

Anyone build their own perhaps. Clearly glass must be high temperature
proof
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jives11" wrote in
xxx
I wonder if anyone has any experience in the UK of fitting fireplace
doors. These are glass doors which fit in your open fireplace. The
frame has adjustable air vents. The idea is that they reduce or even
prevent as much warm air going up the chimney. heat still eminates
from the fire as radiated heat.

And will they stop the huge draughts up the chimney when the fire isnt lit?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
"jives11" wrote in xxx
I wonder if anyone has any experience in the UK of fitting fireplace
doors. These are glass doors which fit in your open fireplace. The
frame has adjustable air vents. The idea is that they reduce or even
prevent as much warm air going up the chimney. heat still eminates
from the fire as radiated heat.

And will they stop the huge draughts up the chimney when the fire isnt lit?

[g]

Sure.

Its basically making a large wood burning stove, isn't it?
Where the air is directed solely to the fire for the purposes of
combustion, not for making sure the smoke goes oop t'chimbly..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 23, 10:13*am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its basically making a large wood burning stove, isn't it?
Where the air is directed solely to the fire for the purposes of
combustion, not for making sure the smoke goes oop t'chimbly..

Thusly:
http://www.morsoe.com/us/Products/Inserts/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Oct, 13:09, David wrote:
On Oct 23, 10:13*am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its basically making a large wood burning stove, isn't it?
Where the air is directed solely to the fire for the purposes of
combustion, not for making sure the smoke goes oop t'chimbly..

Thusly:http://www.morsoe.com/us/Products/Inserts/

Kind of, though the type of thing I had in mind is more like an
openfire than a stove , like this :

http://www.energyfires.co.uk/images/...llery5_jpg.htm

These look great, but cost as much as a stove

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jives11" wrote in message
On 23 Oct, 13:09, David wrote:
On Oct 23, 10:13 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its basically making a large wood burning stove, isn't it?
Where the air is directed solely to the fire for the purposes of
combustion, not for making sure the smoke goes oop t'chimbly..

Thusly:http://www.morsoe.com/us/Products/Inserts/

Kind of, though the type of thing I had in mind is more like an
openfire than a stove , like this :

http://www.energyfires.co.uk/images/...llery5_jpg.htm

These look great, but cost as much as a stove.

Following some of the links that had been posted in this thread has led to
some very attractive fireplaces / stoves / burners - thanks.

Shame that the first link on the above site - "Fireplace doors" - leads to
an "under construction".

However, I'm sure that - given the recent posts about declining standards of
language - folks will feel that the subjunctive on the contact page more
than makes up for it.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I put folding glass doors on my fireplace and I feel it was a give and
take. It did stop the smike from entering the room from the fireplace
downdraft but it also stopped most of the radient heat. I believe it
is controlling the amount of inside furnace heat that the fireplace
was wasting since the back bedrooms arnt feeling as cold while using
the firepalce...but on the other hand I am getting next to no heat
benefit from burning in the first place since the glass doors reflect
most of the fireplace heat back up the chimney.
I felt like I was just wasting my wood so I ended up just fitting the
fireplace with a chimney balloon to seal the damper up nice and tight.
Then I put in some tall red candles in the fire box and burn those
every once and a while when I usually have a fire.
Now I kind of wish i wouldnt have spent that $600 on the custom
fireplace doors since im just using candles.