Posted to uk.d-i-y
jives11 jives11 is offline

Default fireplace doors

Thanks Jason for the honest appraisal - exactly what I needed to
read.

On 24 Oct, 16:29, wrote:
I put folding glass doors on my fireplace and I feel it was a give and
take. It did stop the smike from entering the room from the fireplace
downdraft but it also stopped most of the radient heat. I believe it
is controlling the amount of inside furnace heat that the fireplace
was wasting since the back bedrooms arnt feeling as cold while using
the firepalce...but on the other hand I am getting next to no heat
benefit from burning in the first place since the glass doors reflect
most of the fireplace heat back up the chimney.
I felt like I was just wasting my wood so I ended up just fitting the
fireplace with a chimney balloon to seal the damper up nice and tight.
Then I put in some tall red candles in the fire box and burn those
every once and a while when I usually have a fire.
Now I kind of wish i wouldnt have spent that $600 on the custom
fireplace doors since im just using candles.