Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap copper tube delivered?

Anyone know a good cheap source of copper tube, delivered?

I want a few 6m pieces of 22mm, and a few of 15mm too. I'm
particularly keen on 6m pieces to cut down on extra joins in longer
runs.

VHS direct (http://www.vhsdirect.co.uk) seemed to be the cheapest
(22mm is £4/m inc VAT), but they just cancelled my order saying they
no longer sell tube (although it's still on the website... ).

The next cheapest that I can find is MyTub (http://www.mytub.co.uk),
but they want £5.75/m!

Plumb Center (http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk) are charging an
astonishing £8.35/m - haven't bothered finding out if they deliver.

Plumbase seem to have everything except tube on their site...

Thanks for any pointers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

coughed up some electrons that declared:

Anyone know a good cheap source of copper tube, delivered?

I want a few 6m pieces of 22mm, and a few of 15mm too. I'm
particularly keen on 6m pieces to cut down on extra joins in longer
runs.

VHS direct (
http://www.vhsdirect.co.uk) seemed to be the cheapest
(22mm is £4/m inc VAT), but they just cancelled my order saying they
no longer sell tube (although it's still on the website... ).

The next cheapest that I can find is MyTub (http://www.mytub.co.uk),
but they want £5.75/m!

Plumb Center (http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk) are charging an
astonishing £8.35/m - haven't bothered finding out if they deliver.

Plumbase seem to have everything except tube on their site...

Thanks for any pointers.

6m is making it a shipping nightmare and limiting your choice of supplier.
It'll be alright for thinner (eg 10mm) soft copper on a roll, but for semi
hard...

I'd stick to the standard 3m and not worry about the inline joints.

Now, it's probably too much length for you(?), but the best price vs.
sensible supplier I've come across is Screwfix at 110 quid (free shipping)
for a 10x3m pack = 3.67 per metre.

That was from google shopping "22mm copper tube"

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18384/...30m-Pack-of-10

10x2m pack is 80 quid, so 4/m

Really, if accessibility for jointing is a problem, make up 6m lengths
somewhere convenient with soldered joints, then install them.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:
Anyone know a good cheap source of copper tube, delivered?

If you can hold on a few weeks, you may find the price comes
crashing down. Apparently the scrap value already has, as
demand for copper has just dropped.

I want a few 6m pieces of 22mm, and a few of 15mm too. I'm
particularly keen on 6m pieces to cut down on extra joins in longer
runs.

It's probably worth learning to do the joins.

VHS direct (http://www.vhsdirect.co.uk) seemed to be the cheapest
(22mm is £4/m inc VAT), but they just cancelled my order saying they
no longer sell tube (although it's still on the website... ).

The next cheapest that I can find is MyTub (http://www.mytub.co.uk),
but they want £5.75/m!

Plumb Center (http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk) are charging an
astonishing £8.35/m - haven't bothered finding out if they deliver.

Yes, I think they were the most expensive supplier I could
find when installing central heating. Same with the boiler.
I didn't use them. I used Wickes for 15mm and 22mm, but that
was mainly because I could put a bundle of 3m lengths on my
shoulder and walk home. They didn't do 28mm, for which I used
B&Q and got a friend with a longer car to drive them home.
This was all 6 years ago though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 22 Oct,
" wrote:

Anyone know a good cheap source of copper tube, delivered?

I want a few 6m pieces of 22mm, and a few of 15mm too. I'm
particularly keen on 6m pieces to cut down on extra joins in longer
runs.

VHS direct (
http://www.vhsdirect.co.uk) seemed to be the cheapest
(22mm is £4/m inc VAT), but they just cancelled my order saying they
no longer sell tube (although it's still on the website... ).

The next cheapest that I can find is MyTub (http://www.mytub.co.uk),
but they want £5.75/m!

Plumb Center (http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk) are charging an
astonishing £8.35/m - haven't bothered finding out if they deliver.

Plumbase seem to have everything except tube on their site...

Wait a few weeks until the lower comodity prices filter through to retail.

How much cheaper has copper become recently? I have to get loads in, so this
is great interest to me.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

How much cheaper has copper become recently? I have to get loads in, so this
is great interest to me.

Quite a bit it seems:

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/co...cal_large.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:

How much cheaper has copper become recently? I have to get loads in, so
this is great interest to me.

Quite a bit it seems:

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/co...cal_large.html

w00t!

Thanks John - I'll bide my time...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Anyone know a good cheap source of copper tube, delivered?

Plumb Center (http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk) are charging an
astonishing £8.35/m - haven't bothered finding out if they deliver...

Have you asked for a trade discount? I typically get 50% off list from them
on brass fittings.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

wrote in message
Anyone know a good cheap source of copper tube, delivered?

..
Plumb Center (http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk) are charging an
astonishing £8.35/m - haven't bothered finding out if they deliver...

Have you asked for a trade discount? I typically get 50% off list from
them on brass fittings.

Screwfix is £2/m for 15mm and £4/m for 22mm (for 20m of pipe). Free delivery
(need to buy something else for £5 if going for the 15mm to get free
delivery)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Mannix wrote:
I have a tool which 'bells' out one end of the tube so the next bit
fits inside and you then solder it in the normal way. Ideal for those
to be concealed joints. It's old and dates from the days of softer
higher quality tube - but it will work on modern stuff if its annealed
first. I've no idea what it's called and whether they are still
available - I was given them many years ago. But they are metric, so
not totally ancient.

It's a pipe flaring tool and it flares the end rather than "belling" it.

Flare isn't any better as a description as that suggests a taper.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote Anyone know a good cheap source of copper tube,
delivered?

I want a few 6m pieces of 22mm, and a few of 15mm too. I'm
particularly keen on 6m pieces to cut down on extra joins in longer
runs.

snip.........

If you are running 6m lengths without bends, make sure you allow room and
flexibility in the rest of your piping layout for expansion (assuming these
are heating/hot water that is).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 01:14:33 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

How much cheaper has copper become recently? I have to get loads in, so
this is great interest to me.

Quite a bit it seems:

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/co...cal_large.html

And:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/f...ta/commodities
/11636/twelve_month.stm

$8-9,000/tonne down to just over $4,000/tonne.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob Mannix wrote:
I have a tool which 'bells' out one end of the tube so the next bit
fits inside and you then solder it in the normal way. Ideal for those
to be concealed joints. It's old and dates from the days of softer
higher quality tube - but it will work on modern stuff if its annealed
first. I've no idea what it's called and whether they are still
available - I was given them many years ago. But they are metric, so
not totally ancient.

It's a pipe flaring tool and it flares the end rather than "belling" it.

Flare isn't any better as a description as that suggests a taper.

I agree but that's what it's called.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:12:17 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

If you are running 6m lengths without bends, make sure you allow room
and flexibility in the rest of your piping layout for expansion
(assuming these are heating/hot water that is).

Good point a 6m length of copper will change length by nearly 8mm over an
80C temperature range. 8mm might not sound much but expansion/contraction
is *very* powerful.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:12:24 UTC, "dennis@home"
wrote:

It would be much easier to chuck a 25m roll of plastic in the boot.

In 1981?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It would be much easier to chuck a 25m roll of plastic in the boot.

In 1981?

I did some of my CH in plastic in 1980.
Its still there now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:
It is a flairing tool. It is still used to make the joints on a saniflow
waste by the good plumbers instead of a straight connector.

Seems to be used for soldering copper aircon pipework.

I've seen a central heating installation where all the
joints were flared.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
I have a tool which 'bells' out one end of the tube so the next bit
fits inside and you then solder it in the normal way. Ideal for those
to be concealed joints. It's old and dates from the days of softer
higher quality tube - but it will work on modern stuff if its annealed
first. I've no idea what it's called and whether they are still
available - I was given them many years ago. But they are metric, so
not totally ancient.
It's a pipe flaring tool and it flares the end rather than "belling" it.

Flare isn't any better as a description as that suggests a taper.

I agree but that's what it's called.

Agreed. They were intended for use with "manipulative" compression
fittings where the pipe had to be flared before being inserted into the
fitting.

http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/liter...ompression.pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:51:57 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
" writes:
Anyone know a good cheap source of copper tube, delivered?

If you can hold on a few weeks, you may find the price comes
crashing down. Apparently the scrap value already has, as
demand for copper has just dropped.

Indeed: yesterday I took in a couple of builders' (rubble) sacks, one full
of clean copper, the other brassiere (or whatever they call it: mixed
brass & copper) expecting £50+ and got barely £20 :-(

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
Bob Mannix wrote:
[...]

There are two sorts of flaring tools. The currently available flaring tools
give an angled end to the pipe for compression fittings (as in the reference
above and current tools for brake pipe flaring). The one the OP (and
another) referred to are hammered into the end of copper pipe to make the
end 10-20mm of the pipe have an internal diameter just larger than the
normal external diameter. These new ends can then be used as end feed solder
fittings when another piece of pipe is inserted into them.

One poster has mentioned a CH system done like this. I had a gas fitter run
a 15mm gas pipe from the front of a house to the rear round walls etc
indoors. He used no fittings at all, just bent the pipe and used the flaring
tool to make joints where needed. He hammered it into the end of the pipe.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

There are two sorts of flaring tools. The currently available flaring
tools give an angled end to the pipe for compression fittings (as in the
reference above and current tools for brake pipe flaring). The one the OP
(and another) referred to are hammered into the end of copper pipe to make
the end 10-20mm of the pipe have an internal diameter just larger than the
normal external diameter. These new ends can then be used as end feed
solder fittings when another piece of pipe is inserted into them.

I think item # 34219 at www.toolstation.com is what you are referring to.

They do the other sort too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

There are two sorts of flaring tools. The currently available flaring
tools give an angled end to the pipe for compression fittings (as in the
reference above and current tools for brake pipe flaring). The one the OP
(and another) referred to are hammered into the end of copper pipe to
make the end 10-20mm of the pipe have an internal diameter just larger
than the normal external diameter. These new ends can then be used as end
feed solder fittings when another piece of pipe is inserted into them.

I think item # 34219 at www.toolstation.com is what you are referring to.

They do the other sort too.

AHA! Very close but no cigar. This seems to be possibly a posh version of
what I was talking about. Toolstation DO have the one I was talking about
though, item #48296, that you hit with a hammer. Hooray and thanks for
getting me close!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

[...]

....and my apologies as it's called an expander/former, not a flaring tool. I
was sure my gas fitter called it a flaring tool...

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

[...]

Has anyone actually used one of those? I was tempted ages ago when I was
doing quiote a bit of plumbing, but seem to remember that they were much
more expensive then.

Is it easy enough to just start using? Or is the path littered with
failed attempts?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

[...]

Don't know, but I suspect annealing the end of tube with a blowtorch first
might be in order - unless the tube came on a roll, it's fairly hard.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Mannix wrote:
There are two sorts of flaring tools. The currently available flaring
tools give an angled end to the pipe for compression fittings (as in
the reference above and current tools for brake pipe flaring). The one
the OP (and another) referred to are hammered into the end of copper
pipe to make the end 10-20mm of the pipe have an internal diameter just
larger than the normal external diameter. These new ends can then be
used as end feed solder fittings when another piece of pipe is inserted
into them.

Indeed. Which is why I dislike calling it a flaring tool.

One poster has mentioned a CH system done like this. I had a gas fitter
run a 15mm gas pipe from the front of a house to the rear round walls
etc indoors. He used no fittings at all, just bent the pipe and used
the flaring tool to make joints where needed. He hammered it into the
end of the pipe.

I'll use mine for joints which are likely to be inaccessible.

--
*Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod wrote:
....and my apologies as it's called an expander/former, not a flaring tool. I
was sure my gas fitter called it a flaring tool...

Has anyone actually used one of those? I was tempted ages ago when I was
doing quiote a bit of plumbing, but seem to remember that they were much
more expensive then.

Yes. They certainly were expensive. I inherited mine.

Is it easy enough to just start using? Or is the path littered with
failed attempts?

They were much easier to use when tube was softer. With the current half
hard stuff it's best to anneal first.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Mannix" writes:
"Bob Mannix" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message

I think item # 34219 at www.toolstation.com is what you are referring to.

They do the other sort too.

AHA! Very close but no cigar. This seems to be possibly a posh version of
what I was talking about. Toolstation DO have the one I was talking about
though, item #48296, that you hit with a hammer. Hooray and thanks for
getting me close!

...and my apologies as it's called an expander/former, not a flaring tool. I
was sure my gas fitter called it a flaring tool...

One that I've seen being used was quite different from both of these.
I didn't look closely, but what I recall is something which clamped
to the pipe (I presume, that's the bit I don't remember), and a car
window winder type handle on the end was then used to screw a ball
into the end of the pipe which was the right diameter to expand the
pipe appropriately. (I imagine the ball doesn't actually rotate with
the screw.) Looked quite easy to use.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes

I have a tool which 'bells' out one end of the tube so the next bit fits
inside and you then solder it in the normal way. Ideal for those to be
concealed joints. It's old and dates from the days of softer higher
quality tube - but it will work on modern stuff if its annealed first.

The aircon engineer who installed a unit for us last year used a tool
like that to joint the (10mm?) copper pipes which run from the wall unit
to the external heat exchanger.

How much water in a copper tube? Harry Everhart Home Repair 59 April 18th 14 08:04 PM
cutting copper tube Arch Woodturning 7 February 25th 07 04:15 PM
isolating copper tube from steel frame Grant Erwin Metalworking 3 May 16th 06 06:22 AM
Pex tube to copper compression fitting slipped off... Joe Sloppy Home Repair 3 November 8th 05 02:22 PM
best way to rough up the inside of 3/8" copper tube? Grant Erwin Metalworking 23 August 24th 05 09:57 PM