Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Bathroom radiator/ towel rail

I want to buy a radiator/towel rail similar to this one from Screwfix, but
larger and with more heat output. Any suggestions for what to buy and where,
please?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=90495

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
I want to buy a radiator/towel rail similar to this one from Screwfix, but
larger and with more heat output. Any suggestions for what to buy and
where, please?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=90495

Try Googling for Towel Rail. You will be overwhelmed by choice. Places like
Plumbworld are cheap and well-known.

Personally, if you are going to fit an electric heater to it for the summer,
I would limit the power. I bought a beefy one (so it would heat up quicker).
It kettles noisily and wakes us up. A lower power one would have been
better.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Mannix
writes
"GB" wrote in message
.. .
I want to buy a radiator/towel rail similar to this one from Screwfix, but
larger and with more heat output. Any suggestions for what to buy and
where, please?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=90495

Try Googling for Towel Rail. You will be overwhelmed by choice. Places like
Plumbworld are cheap and well-known.

Personally, if you are going to fit an electric heater to it for the summer,
I would limit the power. I bought a beefy one (so it would heat up quicker).
It kettles noisily and wakes us up. A lower power one would have been
better.

If you haven't found a solution yet, a series mains rated power diode
will half the power but if you want it lower still a hidden phase
control dimmer should bring it down to what you want. My small towel
rail has a 60W element and I reduced that to 30W with a diode and that
is plenty for base level heat. I prefer to keep my bathroom heating
separate from the towel rails.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:53:19 +0100 someone who may be "GB"
wrote this:-

I want to buy a radiator/towel rail similar to this one from Screwfix, but
larger and with more heat output.

Why do you want more heat output? If it is to provide heat then that
is better done by a separate radiator, something which is designed
to put heat into a room. Then heating and drying towels can be
controlled separately.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote this:-

I want to buy a radiator/towel rail similar to this one from
Screwfix, but larger and with more heat output.

Why do you want more heat output? If it is to provide heat then that
is better done by a separate radiator, something which is designed
to put heat into a room. Then heating and drying towels can be
controlled separately.

Yes I want more heat output, cos the bathroom tends to be a bit chilly. I am
just wondering whether what we want is a radiator with a towel rail that
fits round it. It doesn't have to be fitted to the radiator - just something
that we can sling the towels over so they'll dry. Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I want to buy a radiator/towel rail similar to this one from
Screwfix, but larger and with more heat output.

Why do you want more heat output? If it is to provide heat then that
is better done by a separate radiator, something which is designed
to put heat into a room. Then heating and drying towels can be
controlled separately.

Yes I want more heat output, cos the bathroom tends to be a bit chilly. I am
just wondering whether what we want is a radiator with a towel rail that
fits round it. It doesn't have to be fitted to the radiator - just something
that we can sling the towels over so they'll dry. Any suggestions?

I simply mounted a towel rail on the wall above the radiator.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"GB" writes:
Yes I want more heat output, cos the bathroom tends to be a bit chilly. I am
just wondering whether what we want is a radiator with a towel rail that
fits round it. It doesn't have to be fitted to the radiator - just something
that we can sling the towels over so they'll dry. Any suggestions?

The most effective combination I've used is a regular radiator,
with an unheated towel rack mounted high up on the wall over it,
so the towels don't block the radiator output, but they are heated
by the warm air rising off the radiator. I looked around bathroom
stores for a while and couldn't find a towel rail I liked and which
was practical. In the end, I used an IKEA kitchen rail shelf
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00011428
and only fitted alternate rails to make it easier to drape
towels over.

Towel rails even with no towels on them give off only a tiny
proportion of the heat a similar sized radiator would give off,
and when covered in towels, a radiator or towel rail will give
off no heat of any significance, hence a cold bathroom.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://tinyurl.com/6l72d4 ?

--
"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"GB" writes:
[...]

I think that sounds just the thing! I was looking for something suitable,
but the towel rails did not provide enough depth. What I wanted was a rail
that could go at waist height, for convenience, but where the towels would
be in front of the radiator. Of course that will reduce the heat output, but
most of it will still go vertically upwards between the wall and the towels.

towel radiator in the bathroom benpost UK diy 1 September 13th 08 09:13 PM
Towel rail radiator GB UK diy 3 November 20th 07 03:54 PM
extending towel rail for bathroom Kevin UK diy 3 September 27th 05 05:20 PM
towel rail radiator Tim Smith UK diy 0 March 17th 05 07:34 AM
Changing a radiator for a towel rail. Cliff UK diy 1 November 24th 04 02:57 PM