Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sliding mitre saw, screwfix clearance

Hi folks,

Is this likely to be a good buy?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/27942/...OSFFA?ts=50813

[Metabo 8¼" Sliding Mitre Saw 230V]

SPEC: No load speed 5500rpm. Blade dia. 210mm x 30mm bore. 20 tooth blade.
Cutting capacity at 90 / 90° 255 x 60mm, mitres 177 x 60mm, bevel 255 x
30mm, compound mitre 177 x 30mm. L x W x H: 747 x 508 x 470mm. Weight 16kg.

----

It's a "reverse-distress" purchase - in that I don't need it for a few
months, but then I think it will become extremely useful... But it's on
special offer, plus an extra 10% off from a QuidCo coupon, so I'm thinking
of getting it now before stock runs out.

Compared to the Rexon, it has a bigger cutting capacity, otherwise I'd have
gone for something cheaper.

Typical uses for me will be: floorboards (up to about 150+/-mm wide),
skirting and architrave, picture rails etc, 100x50mm studwork + roofing
timbers and anything needed to build a shed

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've one Metabo powertool, and I'd describe their quality as right up
there with Makita & Bosch pro stuff.

I think the question may be if you're slightly overbuying - I doubt
you'll be disappointed with it. I had (still have in fact) the Dewalt
DW700 - a very similar design. I have now replaced it with a Bosch 12"
blade mitre saw, as I needed the extra capacity.

Might be worth checking if it fits one of the mitre saw bench systems,
as these really enhance productivity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
[...]

IMHO you really want a 10" one. I found the smaller one I had before far
too restrictive. Of course it depends on what you'll use it for but mine
is just used for general household stuff. And the ability to cut 12" board
is very useful.

Cheers

Tim

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

I too looked at this one recently and decided in the end to get the
Ryobi one at £199.99 (88825). What won it for me was capacity (you can
never have enough, and with my previous compound saw there were too many
occasions when I could have done with another inch or two of capacity).

I've been very happy with the Ryobi - build quality is good and if you
are just an enthusiastic DIYer like me you won't be disappointed. I got
the table to go with mine - better than trying to balance it on the old
workmate.

The only slightly -ve thing is it's noisy when the brake is applied -
quite a clang when the blade stops.

Cheers - Kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin coughed up some electrons that declared:

I too looked at this one recently and decided in the end to get the
Ryobi one at £199.99 (88825). What won it for me was capacity (you can
never have enough, and with my previous compound saw there were too many
occasions when I could have done with another inch or two of capacity).

I've been very happy with the Ryobi - build quality is good and if you
are just an enthusiastic DIYer like me you won't be disappointed. I got
the table to go with mine - better than trying to balance it on the old
workmate.

The only slightly -ve thing is it's noisy when the brake is applied -
quite a clang when the blade stops.

Cheers - Kev

Hi Kev,

And only £10 more. Thanks for pinting that out - it does everything I need.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave,

Kev just pointed out a 12" one for 10 quid more.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

As with all sliding saws, maintaining the smoothness of slide is the big
issue
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

IMHO you really want a 10" one. I found the smaller one I had before
far too restrictive. Of course it depends on what you'll use it for
but mine is just used for general household stuff. And the ability to
cut 12" board is very useful.

Not having a pop, but how often do you need to cut 12" boards?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Kevin coughed up some electrons that declared:

I too looked at this one recently and decided in the end to get the
Ryobi one at £199.99 (88825). What won it for me was capacity (you
can never have enough, and with my previous compound saw there were
too many occasions when I could have done with another inch or two
of capacity).

I've been very happy with the Ryobi - build quality is good and if
you are just an enthusiastic DIYer like me you won't be
disappointed. I got the table to go with mine - better than trying
to balance it on the old workmate.

The only slightly -ve thing is it's noisy when the brake is applied -
quite a clang when the blade stops.

Cheers - Kev

Hi Kev,

And only £10 more. Thanks for pinting that out - it does everything I
need.

Won't be anything like the build quality of the Metabo though. Metabo is
the mutts nuts.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
IMHO you really want a 10" one. I found the smaller one I had before
far too restrictive. Of course it depends on what you'll use it for
but mine is just used for general household stuff. And the ability to
cut 12" board is very useful.

Not having a pop, but how often do you need to cut 12" boards?

Shelves. But of course the lager blade allows a deeper cut so can handle
bigger 'ordinary' timber. I just found the smaller one couldn't far too
often.
..

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Hmm. I don't doubt that you're right Dave.

I'll weigh it up tonight and get an order off - it's going to be a
functionality/quality tradeoff, unless I spend too much money, which I'm
strict on controlling as one must be with any medium/large project.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:

I too looked at this one recently and decided in the end to get the
Ryobi one at £199.99 (88825). What won it for me was capacity (you can
never have enough, and with my previous compound saw there were too many
occasions when I could have done with another inch or two of capacity).

Worth looking at genuine second hand ones on eBay as well. I picked up a
12" Makita LS1214 SCMS for less that the price of the Ryobi that way.

The ideal general purpose saw is probably something like the Makita
LS1013 - a two rail slide mechanism that will last and remain accurate
and graunch free.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I too looked at this one recently and decided in the end to get the
Ryobi one at £199.99 (88825). What won it for me was capacity (you can
never have enough, and with my previous compound saw there were too
many occasions when I could have done with another inch or two of
capacity).

Worth looking at genuine second hand ones on eBay as well. I picked up a
12" Makita LS1214 SCMS for less that the price of the Ryobi that way.

The ideal general purpose saw is probably something like the Makita
LS1013 - a two rail slide mechanism that will last and remain accurate
and graunch free.

Most of the 'shed' ones I've played with seem rather flimsy - too much
play or slop. Of course I'd expect Makita etc to be fine.

--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Tim S wrote:
[...]

That may be true but for all purchases like this it comes down to a
decision based on what I'm going to use it for, how often it will get
used and how much it costs. If I had unlimited cash (I don't) or if I
was using it to earn an income then I would probably have gone for
something "better". However, for my occassional projects at home this is
ideal.

The bottom line for me is I made the right decision buying the Ryobi.

Cheers - Kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Follow up again...

I went for the Metabo on special offer. I nearly went for the Ryobi.

I weighed up everything that was said here and decided that 90% of my jobs
would fit the capacity of the Metabo. I did bear in mind the shelf comment,
but it was a case of drawing the line somewhere and I fancied something
that for 90% of the work will hopefully be smooth, accurate and repeatable.

Again, thanks for all the comments!

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Tim S wrote:
[...]

Not having a pop at your decision Kevin, sorry if it sounded like that. The
Metabo maybe wasn't at that price when you bought your Ryobi. My first SDS
was a Wickes because it was a lot cheaper than the Makita, and its a good
tool. Now the Mak is at the same price I'd prolly go for that.

I use an Axminster SCMS based on the same criteria. Horses for course as
they say.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Kevin wrote:

The bottom line for me is I made the right decision buying the
Ryobi.

Not having a pop at your decision Kevin, sorry if it sounded like
that. The Metabo maybe wasn't at that price when you bought your
Ryobi. My first SDS was a Wickes because it was a lot cheaper than
the Makita, and its a good tool. Now the Mak is at the same price
I'd prolly go for that.

I use an Axminster SCMS based on the same criteria. Horses for
course as they say.

Hey - no worries - just wanted to explain what drove me to buying the
Ryobi. I must have spent a couple of days trying to make the right
decision. 200 quid is alot for anybody these days and is the most I have
ever spent on a tool and I wanted to ensure I made the right call.

I'm sure Tim will be delighted with his Metabo.

- Kev
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you do find occasionally it doesn't quite have the width capacity
you need, you can always cut what you can reach, flip the job over -
then if you're lucky you'll be able to reach part of the through cut
to line-up the blade into to complete the cut.

Same can be done on over-depth cuts - but with only your pencil line
to line up with on the reverse side

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Kevin wrote:

The bottom line for me is I made the right decision buying the
Ryobi.

Not having a pop at your decision Kevin, sorry if it sounded like
that. The Metabo maybe wasn't at that price when you bought your
Ryobi. My first SDS was a Wickes because it was a lot cheaper than
the Makita, and its a good tool. Now the Mak is at the same price
I'd prolly go for that.

I use an Axminster SCMS based on the same criteria. Horses for
course as they say.

Hey - no worries - just wanted to explain what drove me to buying the
Ryobi. I must have spent a couple of days trying to make the right
decision. 200 quid is alot for anybody these days and is the most I have
ever spent on a tool and I wanted to ensure I made the right call.

I'm sure Tim will be delighted with his Metabo.

I feel lucky at the moment - I'm having to build up from odd diy tools (I
rent right now and have done since 2003) to a full scale set for renovation
work, but I've saved a fair bit by some handy things turning up on ebay and
the screwfix offers are certainly helping, so I don't like to miss
something like this...

Anyway, I think I'm more or less tool-sorted for 9/10th of the jobs so on
Sunday, I need to either strip the floor coverings in 2 rooms or dismantle
the old kitchen. Saturday is electrical design, calculations and parts list
for the wholesalers (I like that, can do it in bed with a laptop

Expecting to book the builder in December to do a couple of brick walls and
3 window and door modifications plus the drains. So that will be brickwork,
large scale plastering of said walls and fiddly floor related wibblings out
the way.

Then I'll be able to launch into full scale electrics, plumbing and bathroom
fitting.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Kevin wrote:

The bottom line for me is I made the right decision buying the
Ryobi.

Not having a pop at your decision Kevin, sorry if it sounded like
that. The Metabo maybe wasn't at that price when you bought your
Ryobi. My first SDS was a Wickes because it was a lot cheaper than
the Makita, and its a good tool. Now the Mak is at the same price
I'd prolly go for that.

I use an Axminster SCMS based on the same criteria. Horses for
course as they say.

Hey - no worries - just wanted to explain what drove me to buying the
Ryobi. I must have spent a couple of days trying to make the right
decision. 200 quid is alot for anybody these days and is the most I
have ever spent on a tool and I wanted to ensure I made the right
call.

Know what you mean, I spend ages deciding on what to buy.

I'm sure Tim will be delighted with his Metabo.

Any new power tool is a delight!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I too looked at this one recently and decided in the end to get the
Ryobi one at £199.99 (88825). What won it for me was capacity (you can
never have enough, and with my previous compound saw there were too
many occasions when I could have done with another inch or two of
capacity).

Worth looking at genuine second hand ones on eBay as well. I picked up a
12" Makita LS1214 SCMS for less that the price of the Ryobi that way.

The ideal general purpose saw is probably something like the Makita
LS1013 - a two rail slide mechanism that will last and remain accurate
and graunch free.

Most of the 'shed' ones I've played with seem rather flimsy - too much
play or slop. Of course I'd expect Makita etc to be fine.

Yup, perhaps I should clarify. If going the eBay route, try and get
something top end and shed prices rather than a shed special cheap.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Most of the 'shed' ones I've played with seem rather flimsy - too much
play or slop. Of course I'd expect Makita etc to be fine.

I bought a recondition PP for £15.
It works fine except for the built in dust extraction (it needs a vac
attached).
The guides are about 35 mm steel bars and don't flex much at all.
It weighs a ton though.

The one area its a bit dodgy is the depth stop, its too close to the pivot
so one turn on the screw is a big change.
Not much use if you want to cut overlap joints in different thicknesses as
it takes a bit too long to get right.
I use a router for these anyway (even more mess flying around then).

Sliding mitre saw fred UK diy 42 December 19th 12 09:27 PM
Sliding mitre saw anyone? George UK diy 60 May 23rd 08 12:39 AM
Which Screwfix(?) mitre saw? Lobster UK diy 6 December 12th 06 09:19 AM
Erbauer sliding mitre saw Doctor Drivel UK diy 44 October 17th 05 05:43 PM
Screwfix Clearance Suz UK diy 0 July 24th 05 12:38 AM