Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Renovating a plasterboard wall

Hi all,

I am helping to set up a pre-school. We have found a room in which to
site the pre-school, but it needs some redecoration work before it is
suitable. I have put a photo of it up he

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Du0iMwMGfK1KXA

Most of the work is fairly simple - painting, curtains, and so on -
but in some places the plasterboard on the lower part of wall (below
the brown wooden rail in the photo) has been broken through. This has
been patched up in some of the damaged places (just to the right of
the door in the photo you can see a lighter patch where it has been
repaired), but I want to try to make a better job of the repair, and
to make the other bits of plasterboard more resilient to the possible
damage that the pre-school's occupants may inflict upon it!

My initial thought is to fix 6mm plyboard sections in place over the
top of the plasterboard. This would hide the damaged plasterboard, and
also give a more resilient finish. Would that work? Does anyone have
any other ideas? I want to keep the cost down as much as I can.

thanks,

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 05:56:16 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

It doesn't look bad ...assuming that it is plasterboard then I'd just
be inclined to tidy it up by fixing ( if necessary) those parts
already repaired ,sanding down and either painting directly on to the
PB or putting lining paper up on the lower section and painting that
with emulsion and painting the top section as well..it's hard to tell
how good or bad the paint is on the top part . Unless the kids are
total monsters then they are hardly likely to do any damage unless you
allow them to .Plasterboard needs a pretty hard kicking etc before it
will split.

What was the room used for before ?..I'm guessing you have checked out
the "Elf 'n Safety issues
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

For a pre-school, I would be tempted to fit some form of easy-wipe melamine
panels up to the dado rail. For a pre-school/nursery, there will be various
H&S issues (eg the exposed tubes will probably need diffusers over them,
there will have to be two exits for fire escape, other fire measures, access
to sufficient toilets/washbasins suitable for toddlers - all before a
licence can be granted. I would contact your local authority. It may be an
unpalatable fact, but it's often better not to start up than to start up and
be shut down!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 9, 1:56*pm, wrote:
Hi all,

I am helping to set up a pre-school. We have found a room in which to
site the pre-school, but it needs some redecoration work before it is
suitable. I have put a photo of it up he

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Du0iMwMGfK1KXA

Most of the work is fairly simple - painting, curtains, and so on -
but in some places the plasterboard on the lower part of wall (below
the brown wooden rail in the photo) has been broken through. This has
been patched up in some of the damaged places (just to the right of
the door in the photo you can see a lighter patch where it has been
repaired), but I want to try to make a better job of the repair, and
to make the other bits of plasterboard more resilient to the possible
damage that the pre-school's occupants may inflict upon it!

pre-schoolers are unlikely to break through PB, repair should be
enough. Or put posters over the holes.

NT